Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any knowledge of Osprey Beach Hotel on Grand Turk?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Osprey Beach Hotel on Grand Turk?

I know the diving is great on GT but how is the snorkeling from the beach?

Hubby & I are taking son to Grand Turk for some serious diving. Not many places to stay. Looking at the Osprey House because that hopefully will give him some socializing in the PM (but I can go to bed).

We really wanted a 2 bedroom 2 bath cottage/condo/suite. Aqua House looks good but isolated for son. (I really feel bad about taking him to islands and staying places where he only has us to socialize with in the PM).

How long of a boat ride is it from Provo/Grace Bay to Grand Turk?
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM

you have to fly from Provo to Grand Turk. It's about a 20 minute flight over awesome colored water. Osprey is probably one of the nicest places to stay in GT, but be warned, there is not much nightlife, if any at all. There is decent snorkeling from Bohio Beach Resort.

In general, GT and Provo are completely different from each other, you may want to consider splitting your trip. Provo still has some decent snorkeling/scuba, with a little more action for your son. GT is quite frankly, rustic, laid back and sleepy, but a great dive destination.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.
Boy, you just said some magic words "Provo still has some decent snorkeling/scuba". I was pining away thinking that I was going to a "rugged" island when I could get some fantastic snorkeling in Provo plus the other advantages. (Guys are divers - I'm a snorkel addict). Are you telling me the snorkeling is not great on Provo? That makes me feel about about staying on GT.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Typo - should be "That makes me feel a lot better staying on GT."
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Hi We were in T&C last Jan and Feb. We went to GT lst and liked it very much. It is quiet and laid back. They do have some nice beaches and good restaurants. We did not like the cruise ship area (too touristy). Thank heavens it was on the other end of the island. We stayed at The Arches, which we enjoyed very much, however it is a way from town. We had a 2 bath 2 Br unit with nice pool. I think you would like the Osprey as they have a nice beach and the snorkeling was
OK. It is located right on Front Street and you can walk every where.Didnt like the Bohio very well.Suggest Blue Waters divers in GT. Had some problem with Oasis. We heard that the snorkeling was great at Salt Cay and Gibbs Cay but unfortunately the weather didnt cooperate. We liked Governors Beach the best. It is close to the cruise ship center.We enjoyed the people and the island. Wild donkeys, horses and cows roam freely . We also spent a few days on Grace Bay at The Sibonne. It is a small hotel right on the beach. Rooms were small but we were only in our room to sleep.The beach in front of Coral Gardens was good for snorkeling. Saw some Rays and a shark.Also snorkeled at Smiths Bay but wasnt impressed.Provo is definitely more developed and lots of tourists. Grace Bay is beautiful.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 11:38 AM

Osprey Hotel is ok, clean, nice and calm beach, very good curried conch but I would compare the room I stayed with a Days Inn. Not much to do on the island but it is neat too see the ox walking around.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 11:12 AM

I really liked the snorkeling at Grand Turk, lots of cute fish to see. I much preferred Grand Turk's uncrowded beaches to those in Provo. Often I was the only person on the whole beach!

Grand Turk is not touristy at all, which I think is FABULOUS. No one interrupts your suntanning to try to sell you stuff, the whole island is really laid back and low key.

My favorite spot on Grand Turk is the Osprey Beach Hotel, because they're right on the beach, and you just walk out of your room and voila - you're ready to start snorkeling.