Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

What questions do you ask before booking a Safari?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody,

The Safari book is on the shelves and we're getting some really great feedback, but we want more. We've posted a list of questions one should ask before booking a trip, but are there more? What do you think are good questions to ask?

http://www.fodors.com/news/story_3239.html
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Alexis
I'm sure there's been (at least one) thread on this exact question in the forums already, I just can't find it by searching (you know how poor the Fodors search engine is, sorry).
Maybe someone else can figure out how to find the thread(s) for you?
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 08:42 AM

The questions on your above link are good general background questions. IF the TAs will answer them fully and honestly. In addition to those questions an individual should ask/inquire questions about what they are very interested in. Why are they going, what do they expect. For example for my first safari, I told TAs I wanted to see the big 5 up close, personal, and often. Others might feel important are the wine list, spa, cultural aspects, photography, etc.

regards - tom
ps - if AlexisK editor can't search and find related threads, then I give up

regards - tom
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Alexis
I just purchased your book last week, and have spent wonderful hours pouring over it. I am focusing on several of the Tour operators you noted in your book. I am glad you posted this question, as i will closely monitor the various responses to help me choose which of the various operators who have immediately responded to my queries for information, and are all set to customize my trip. But do I need a custom trip?? Sorry i am not answering your question but asking one of my own. But again your book has been the beginning of my dream trip, thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35167339

Here is a thread about questions to ask. These may already be in your book.

In these tough economic times, I'd find out how long the company has been in operation. That may be important in any economic climate.

Also ask if there is there an advantage to booking early, if you are sure of your plans. A few times I have gotten current year pricing and avoided the yearly cost increase by booking early.

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Alexis,
I think there is a great difference to travellers using an agent based in their own city/country versus using an agent based in the destination country. The wording of your questions leads me to believe that you are only talking about the former, in which case I would include a question about the outfit providing the land content.
If you read peoples' trip reports it is obvious that some have had less than optimum experiences because their very reliable 'home based' agent has used a less reliable ground supplier.
Maybe you should include a comment to the effect that some people happily use a travel agent in the country they are visiting, in which case questions such as "how often do you visit Africa" may not apply!

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM

* Are discounts offered for extended stays

* Will each guest have a window seat - what type of vehicle - is it 4 wheel drive, if not, how are the roads.

* Can I request special foods, extra pillows or if I have special needs i.e. bad back, problems walking, etc. can my needs be met

* Are there toiletries at the camp

* Is the outfit equipped/ educated to support my photographic needs

* Can you break down all the fees for flight shuttles, cost per camp, etc.

* Are meals, snacks, drinks and water included

I could go on......

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 10:08 AM

The custom question is a good one. If your agent cannot do a custom trip, that means they will try to fit you into one of their canned programs. In some cases that might be a perfect fit, but if not, you may want to be able to alter it to fit your needs.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Great point twaffle, thanks for bringing that up. It is extremely important to know who will be "handling you" on the ground and how your operator (if not on the ground) deals with the ground operator.

Specificity is also imporatant, especially for those who know exactly what they want to see. Thanks for your advice cary999.

Always great input from you atravelynn. Thanks for the suggestion about asking about early booking discounts.

You hit the nail on the head cybor. great suggestions.

Thanks everybody.

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

hey amycyma, Great to hear about your upcoming trip and that the book has been a useful planning tool. I agree with atravelynn, sometimes the predetermined trip will be perfect for you, but others times it may not. So ask questions and do your research. Find out what you want to see, and if it's not on the proposed itinerary from the operator, ask if it can be amended. Keep in mind that customizing trips can add to the cost of an already pricey trip. But, since this is your trip of a lifetime, it should be everythng you've dreamt of and more. Asking questions never hurts and only gets you more information that can aid further decisions. Good luck!
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM

In no particular order of importance:

What brand of gin do they carry?
How extensive is the wine list?
Do they serve milk tart? And on which day?
Do sundowner snacks include Biltong?
What kind of massage is available in the spa?
Will I be able to get a cocunot body wrap?
Will I be able to watch them put the animals in their enclosures at night?
Will I be able to visit the control room, where all the animals are tracked from?

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM

NappaMatt, your list is a winner. Hilarious! I'm going for the coconut body wrap IN the control tower while nibbling biltong.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 05:20 PM

I'll add one to Napamatt's funnies ...... "why should I wake up that early?" .......
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 02:48 AM
sniktawk

Napamatt,

Great fun, I think you missed

"When do they feed the Lions?"

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Snik

Answer - if you leave the vehicle, in about two minutes.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 09:23 AM
TC

- When the itinerary states "transport" from one place to another, ask what type of transport (car, plane, van) and how long in hours that might take.

- Ask if the drivers are in radio contact with other drivers and with base camp in case of vehicle problems.

- Ask what items one might need to settle at each camp in CASH. Do camps take credit cards or cash only?

- Be firm about knowing the number of people in each safari vehicle and window or roof access if photography is important.

- Ask for and get a local contact <u>with the authority</u> to deal with problems that might arise.