Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Trying to plan a safari for the first time...overwhelmed by the options! HELP!!!!

Trying to plan a safari for the first time...overwhelmed by the options! HELP!!!!

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to visit South Africa in May or June 2009. I have read it is good to make reservations a year in advance, so I am trying to figure out where we want to go and for how long. Here's what I do know:

1. We're flexible on how long we travel, we're looking for something in the 10-15 day range.
2. We'd like to stay in a tented camp, but don't really want to have to set them up ourselves.
3. We'd prefer a private tour, but would consider a small group. (No more than 8)
4. We're mostly interested in seeing wildlife (not really interested in wineries, etc.) and we'd like to have some exposure to the cultures there (visiting a Zulu village, etc.)
5. My husband would like to go on a shark dive, but we're flexible about whether we do this or not.
6. I have read we should plan on spending anywhere from $250-500 per day per person. Is this correct?

I have been searching online at various safari outfitters, but I am overwhelmed by the options and finding it tough to sift through the menutia to find just what we're looking for.

HELP!!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

I will add that my husband and I are fairly experienced independent travelers.
And I have been lurking on this board for a week or so reading some of the posts from others...I didn't write until I had a better idea of what we wanted to do!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi heymo,

you are right where we were this time last year. we started off planning a 10 day safari to kenya - ended up with a holiday including a 3 day safari in SA.

our reasoning was that having never been on a safari before, we didn't know if we'd like it for the whole time. fortunately the three days we had were just about right. but only you know whether you really want to spend all day every day looking at wildlife [if you're lucky] or if you want to do other things like shark-diving as well.

one arrangement that might work well for you is a few days in CPT - including some shark diving if that's what you want to do, or whale watching, then fly to Kruger where you can book your own accommodation through www.sanparks.za.

regards, ann
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ann,

Glad to know I'm not alone. I usually do all the planning and reservations for all our trips, I've never used a travel agent- just me and the good old internet! This one seems to be a real challenge. Our original thought was to go to Kenya and Tanzania, but my husband's not so sure about the political atmosphere there and doesn't want to chance it.

I've received a few promising itineraries from safari outfitters, but to date only one has specified how many people are on the safari. If we had our preference we'd do it with just the two of us, but there is some appeal to having a small group of people.

Here's a sample itinerary from one company: (days 1 & 2 are traveling)

Day 3 Arrive Cape Town
Welcome to Cape Town, where you will be met and transferred to your hotel. The remainder of the day is at leisure.
Protea President Hotel

Day 4 Cape Town (B)
The picturesque winelands provide a wonderful backdrop for today’s full day tour. You’ll have a chance to sample wine from two well known wine estates in Paarl and Stellenbosch. It might tempt you enough to bring some home!
Protea President Hotel

Day 5 Cape Town (B)
As we leave Cape Town and drive along the jagged Atlantic coastline, our first stop is at Hout Bay, where you can opt for a tour to Seal Island to enjoy the antics of the island’s residents. The next stop is Boulders Beach for a visit with the “formal residents” - the penguins. On through Simonstown to Cape Pointe before returning to the hotel.
Protea President Hotel

Day 6 Cape Town-Oudtshoorn (B)
A scenic drive takes us from Cape Town through Barrydale into Oudtshoorn, the “feather capital of the world”. You’ll learn alot about the ostrich industry on a guided tour of a farm before continuing on to another fascinating sight - the Cango Caves. An underground tour allows you to marvel at these icy formations.
Queens Hotel

Day 7 Oudtshoorn-Knysna (B)
Driving via the Outeniqua Pass, our journey takes us to George where we change methods of transportation and board the famous Outeniqua Choo-Tjoe for the ride into Knysna. Enjoy a leisurely afternoon walking around the town.
Knysna Log Inn

Day 8 Knysna (B)
Set between lush forest and the Knysna Lagoon, the town of Knysna is one of South Africa’s favorite pleasure destinations. A cruise on the Knysna Lagoon gives you a unique view of the “Heads” - two great sandstone cliffs which guard the mouth of the lagoon. Visit Featherbed Nature Reserve where you’ll have a chance to soak in the spectacular views of the town below.
Knysna Log Inn

Day 9 Port Elizabeth-Durban (B)
Our drive takes us through Knysna into the Tsitsikamma Forest area and on to the Port Elizabeth airport. Fly to Durban where the remainder of the day is at leisure.
Protea Hotel Edward

Day 10 Durban - Kingdom of the Zulus (BL)
A highlight awaits today as your drives takes you via KwaZulu-Natal into the Kingdom of the Zulu’s. Enjoy a performance of traditional Zulu dancers before sampling local dishes at lunch. Continue by road to St. Lucia for the night.
Protea Hotel St. Lucia

Day 11 Swaziland (BLD)
The Greater St. Lucia Wetlands is South Africa’s oldest nature reserve. You’ll get to experience a small portion of the 842 acre area on a motor cruise this morning. Then our drive takes us into the tiny Kingdom of Swaziland. Stop for a visit at the Swazi Candle Factory before arriving at your hotel for the evening.
Lugogo Sun

Day 12 Swaziland-Kruger National Park (BD)
Our road journey takes us into world famous Kruger National Park. At more than 7,772 square miles, Kruger National Park is home to more than 147 mammal species, 500 bird species and 336 tree species!
Kruger Rest Camp

Day 13 Kruger Rest Camp (BD)
Have your binoculars in hand as you set off on a full day of game viewing in open safari vehicles. While you check off the Big Five, watch for the Birding Big Six: Ground Hornbill, Kori Bustard, Lappet- faced Vulture, Martial Eagle, Pel’s Fishing Owl and Saddle-bill Stork.
Kruger Rest Camp

Day 14 Panorama Route (BD)
Driving through the Drakensburg Mountains takes you past God’s Window, which provides a stunning panorama of the Lowveld. Then on to Blyde River Canyon, third largest canyon in the world. Your last stop of the day is in the old gold mining town of Pilgrim’s Rest, where gold was first discovered in South Africa.
Royal Hotel

Day 15 Johannesburg (BL)
Drive into South Africa’s capital where you have time to visit the Kruger Museum and the Voortrekker Monument before arriving at your hotel for the night.
Protea Hotel Wanderers

This doesn't sound too bad- though I'd trade the day at the winery for the shark dive, and skip Kynsna for more time at Kruger.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 03:02 PM

We were in this spot two years ago as we took our first, and I say first because I will be back last May. This is what we did and we loved every minute.

We spent 4 days in Cape Town. We spent two with Selwyn at Iloveafrica.com. He is amazing, then flew to JB and then on to Mala Mala. From there went to Kwetsani, Chitabe and Duma Tau and then ended up in Victoria Falls.

Everything was perfect and we booked through Eyes on Africa.

Obviously depending on your wants and needs, feel that going all the way to Africa, and it is a long way is about the animals. Interesingly no matter how many game drives you go on there is something new each day and the amazement never wears off. Depinging where you are coming from travel is about 3 days.

We stayed in permanent tented camps and I can't imagine how anything could have been better. Nikki designed the trip for the two of us, and we met wonderful people along the way. YOu are correct to book now.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM

I would second the time with Selwyn. If you want to see Cape Town you will not find a better guide. He will also help you with accomodations in Cape Town -- you can stay at an inexpensive bed and breakfast that he will recommend and it will be fine -- not luxury but clean, comfortable and the people will be great.

As for safari, there are several ways to do this. There are mobile tented safaris where you travel with a small group but you don't have to do anything --meals are prepared, tents are set up etc. This will be a less expensive way and more rustic way to do it and I have never done it that way but several people here have and have had a wonderful time. You can find the names of reputable companies on this site.

If you stay in South Africa, you can rent a cottage in Kruger and go on game drives by yourself or there are scheduled drives with park rangers that cost something minimal. I have never done this either but several people here have.

There are the more exclusive private camps which will cost more. What you get here, besides a smaller group in your vehicle, is a more experienced guide. That and the fact that there will be fewer people at an animal sighting are very important to me. I do not want to try to take photos and have 3 or 4 other vehicles in the photo. The private camps have their own areas adjacent to the national parks. You may also have night drives on their property which may not be allowed in the public parks. If you go to a web site like www.eyesonafrica.com or www.rhino-africa,com, there will be maps of the countries and as you click on an area you will see what camps are there. Then the link will get you information on the camps. Most of these camps cost from $450 up per person per day. If you can do $500 pppn, then you may be able to do a few of these.

Do not be afraid to interview a few agents as you want to get one that understands you and will help guide you. I am working with an agent for my next trip because it would be too difficult to work out the logistics without one. In order to get to the camps, we need to fly charter flights and it is much easier when the agent knows where to go for all this. In Kruger and the other camps you can drive to them but it will take a day out of your trip on both sides of the trip.

I have worked with two agents for this next trip and received valuable information from both of them. I would not hesitate to use either of them -- they are Timeless Africa and Rhino-Africa. That said, we have chosen to go with Timeless Africa based on service and cost.

I have never been to East Africa. It is a less expensive destination and I would love to see the migration. There is a lot of information on this board about it. There is a lot of unrest in Kenya but you might look at Tanzania. I am not sure but I think it may be better for that.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, spiegelcjs. I've looked on Eyes On Africa, but found it to be somewhat confusing. Maybe I've just been looking at too many sites!

I can't imagine anyone getting TIRED of game drives...but I suppose it is possible. I would like to see some of the tribal culture as well, but I'm pretty sure what the tourists get to see isn't REALLY what it's like for them.

I'll check out the site you mentioned, thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:05 PM

There are so many good options it is like ordering from a menu in a family Greek restaurant. It's not like there is only 1 optimal plan that you must cobble together.

For your budget range, I'd check

http://www.sanparks.org

http://www.mtbeds.com

www.e-gnu.com has somewhat accurate prices of some places. They are a travel agency as well.

You might want to consider Elephant Plains in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve of South Africa, next to Krueger. Or Gomo Gomo in Timbavati, near the Sabi Sands. Never been, but would like to give these less expensive places that have been given good reviews a try.

If you can spend a bit more, then Mala Mala in the Sabi Sands is legendary for game viewing--especially leopard and my experience there backed that up. King's Camp in Timbavati has great reports from others.

I combined Mala Mala and Phinda (near Durban, cheetah sanctuary, it is a fenced reserve of 55,000 acres and may have recently expanded) last June and had a marvelous time. I think that would be over $500/per person, though. Eyes on Africa, mentioned by spiegelscj did that trip for me. One of the owners is South African, I went solo, but joined others in the vehicles. Phinda has Zulu culture excursions and visits. If you plan in advance, you may be able to stay overnight.

If you look at go2africa.com and head to their Kruger section, you may find something you like. They are based in South Africa and get good recommendations. I've never used them.

For shark diving, mid-June is about the best time to go and you would do this from Cape Town or Simonstown. There are also penguins in Simonstown and you can do am and pm baboon walks there. I'm planning on that too, because, like you, my interests are in the wildlife. I'm going this mid-July and using this company:

African Shark Eco-Charters
Conservation, Diving, Photography, Research

6 Sally Close, Milkwood Park, 7975, South Africa
Phone +27 21 7851947 Cell +27 82 5678915
Fax +27 (0)866895104
Email [email protected]
Web www.ultimate-animals.com

If you can budget more than $500 per person, here's what I'd do for 14-15 days in Africa:

3 Cape Town/Simonstown: Plan on at 2 shark trips because weather or seas can cancel them. Penguins, baboon walk, Robben Island

4 Phinda, 2 nights at the southern location--Mountain Lodge and 2 nights at the northern location Forest Lodge. Request Thulani as a guide. Spend one morning tracking rhino on foot at the northern location.

3 Timabavati Kings Camp (If too expensive Gomo Gomo)

4 Mala Mala (If too expensive Ele Plains)

The above itinerary might require one night in transit in Joburg.

If 15 days includes the international flying, then I'd either knock off Cape Town if the Great White Sharks are not that crucial or I'd omit Phinda to save costs, including the transportation and possible o/nt needed to get to the Durban area and back.

Agents that have been used succesfully for South Africa include:

Eyes on Africa (Chicago--who Spiegelscj & I used)
Africa Adventure (Ft. Lauderdale-- I've gone with them and all was good and they'll do international air)
Fish Eagle (Texas--owner is South African)
Go2Africa (in South Africa)

Just read one of your other comments about confusing websites. If the websites are confusing, call up the agents and talk with them. You'll be getting an education in the process.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:14 PM

Finally, to maybe confuse you more, here's the index to Southern Africa trip reports.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34858382

When you see some people spending weeks on end at Mala Mala, you have indeed read it right.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Wow...all this is very helpful! I really think the $500 per day is a little steep for us, but if that's what we need to spend we just may have to shorten our time a little.

I will check out the tour companies you sent and the trip reports...thanks!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Are the permanent tented camps less coomon in South Africa? I'm not finding that many...

ALso- has anyone done more of the traditional type camping? How "basic" is it?
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 04:19 PM

With your comment reiterating your budget #s, I've been interested in HoneyGuide, a tented camp.

http://www.krugerparkreservations.co...tobeniCamp.asp

Self driving saves you money too.

If you throw out some of these ideas to a few agents and have them put together something, then you can post the itineraries here and get specific feedback.

Good luck.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Here's the plan so far I like the best...it's a small group (6 max)

Day 1:

Morning arrival in South Africa, your guide will meet you upon arrival in Johannesburg at O R Tambo International Airport. Visit "The Cradle of Humankind - Sterkfontein Caves", a World Heritage Site- for a guided tour through the evolution of man. Time for lunch before continuing on to Muldersdrift, just outside Pretoria. Dinner at the Carnivore restaurant.

Accommodation:: Misty Hills Hotel (D)

Day 2:

Travel via Middelburg and Lydenburg to the province of Mpumalanga and the "Panorama Route" of the majestic Drakensberg Mountains, admire the natural beauty of the Blyde River Canyon - third deepest canyon in the world, Bourke's Luck Potholes and God's Window. Overnight near HazyviewAccommodation: Hippo Hollow Country Lodge

Day 3:

Early morning departure for the world-renowned Kruger National Park (KNP). The KNP is known to be the most diverse park in the world with 140 mammals, 119 reptiles, ± 506 bird, 55 amphibians and ± 1980 plant species. Dinner will be served as a traditional "potjie" cooked by your guide - good luck. Overnight in the park.

Accommodation: Lower Sabie Camp (B & D)

Day 4:

Another day to relax in the African bush and to continue with your search of the "Big 5" and a host of other animals. Dinner will be a traditional "braai" - barbeque prepared by your guide. Overnight in the KNP.

Accommodation: Lower Sabie Camp (B & D)

Optional activities: Enjoy a sunset or evening game drive in an open vehicle with a park ranger.

Day 5:

Today we travel through the mountain kingdom of Swaziland to Zululand. Overnight on a private game reserve situated near the small town of Hluhluwe. Dinner will be served at the camp's restaurant. Overnight at Bonamanzi.

Accommodation: Bonamanzi Lodge (B & D)

Day 6:

This morning you have an included option of joining the ranger on a game walk, the rest of the morning is at leisure. This afternoon we travel to the Hluhluwe / Umfolozi Game Reserve to enjoy an open vehicle safari, in by-gone years this reserve was the hunting grounds of Zulu Kings. Dinner at the camp's restaurant. Overnight on Bonamanzi.

Accommodation: Bonamanzi Lodge (B & D)

Day 7:

Take a cruise on the St Lucia estuary, a lake riddled with crocodiles and hippos in the Greater St Lucia Wetlands. Depart after the cruise to the beautiful Nkwalini Valley and Shakaland for lunch, check into hotel. Enjoy Zulu hospitality at its best with a traditional Zulu festival at Shakaland, dinner at the hotel.

Accommodation: Protea Hotel Shakaland (B & D)

Day 8:

Travel to Giants Castle in the Natal Drakensburg Mountains, also known as the "barrier of spears" via the historical city of Pietermaritzburg, stop for lunch at Howick waterfall. All meals are served at the lodge's restaurant. Overnight in the Natal Drakensberg Mountains.

Accommodation: Giants Castle Lodge (B)

Day 9:

A day at leisure in the beautiful Natal Drakensburg Mountains where Bushmen left their life stories in the form of paintings and drawings on the rocks and in the caves. Visit Giants Castle cave for a guided tour or take a walk along one of the numerous nature trails in this park. Overnight in the Natal Drakensberg Mountains.

Accommodation:: Giants Castle Lodge (B)

Day 10:

Travel the Oliviershoek Pass to the village of Clarens and the Golden Gate Highlands National Park. Spend the afternoon relaxing at the hotel or take a walk along one of the numerous nature trails in the park.

Accommodation:: Brandwag Hotel (B & D)
Day 11:

Drive back to Johannesburg the commercial hub of South Africa. Township tour of Soweto, visit the very moving Hector Pieterson Museum and Nelson Mandela's House - reflect on the "Apartheid" era of South Africa's history. Last minute shopping before your departure.

Accommodation: (B)

OR

Recommended - Cape Town Add-on Tour:

Travel to Johannesburg, catch your flight to Cape Town. Your guide will meet you on arrival in Cape Town to transfer you to your hotel. Dinner will be served at a restaurant on the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront.

Accommodation: : (D)
Brenwin Guest House or
President Hotel or
Commodore Hotel

Day 12:

Take a scenic drive around the Cape of Good Hope. Visit Hout Bay and the Cape Fur Seal colony on Duiker Island, Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve, Cape Point and Boulders - Penguins. Optional and weather permitting - we take the cableway up Table Mountain. Evening at leisure. Overnight in Cape Town.

Accommodation: : (B & L)
Brenwin Guest House or
President Hotel or
Commodore Hotel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 13:

A day to do what you please - shopping or just relax at the hotel or visit Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens or you could visit Robben Island, the place where Mr. Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 18 years. Overnight in Cape Town.

Accommodation: : (B)
Brenwin Guest House or
President Hotel or
Commodore Hotel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 14:

Wine tasting and cellar tour at one of the wine estates along the Cape's world-renowned Stellenbosch Wine Route, also spend some time in the historical towns of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek. Enjoy sundowners on Signal Hill before your farewell dinner at Vijff Vlieghen (Five Flies) Restaurant. Overnight in Cape Town.

Accommodation: : (B & D)
Brenwin Guest House or
President Hotel or
Commodore Hotel

Day 15:

Morning at leisure. Lunch at the V & A Waterfront, time for last minute shopping and weather permitting an optional helicopter flip over the Cape Peninsula. Transfer to Cape Town International Airport for your flight home.

Accommodation: (B)

This package is about $2300 per person.

What do you all think?
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM

What would you like to see there? Oh, I got it now- "We're mostly interested in seeing wildlife". On this last 15 day trip how many days will you be with wildlife? Maybe three? And good luck finding the big five in Kruger in two days. You'll be lucky to see lions once each day and then they will probably be taking a cat nap.

For me, South Africa is about safari. For history I go to Europe, for scenery I stay in the USA. But that's just me.

May-June 2009, you still have ample time to put it together (and get more confused ).

regards - tom

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

tom- so- what would you recommend? Going to a park and just staying there? I really am interested to know.

We also received this itinerary...

Itinerary Highlights

Blyde River Canyon

· 2 nights luxury accommodation at Tanamera Guest Lodge , with en-suite facilities
· Full Day Panarama Route Tour
· Breakfasts & Dinners daily

Greater Kruger National Park

· 3 nights luxury Private Lodge accommodation on Thornybush Game Reserve, with en-suite facilities
· 2 nights luxury Private Lodge accommodation on Djuma Private Game Reserve, with en-suite facilities
· All Activities including Open Air Game Drives and Big 5 Walks
· Fully Catered

Johannesburg

· 2 nights luxury accommodation at Graton Guest Lodge, with en-suite facilities
· Several Activities including Tours of Soweto, Apartheid Museum, Sterkfontein Caves, and the Lesedi Cultural Village
· Breakfasts & Dinners daily

Day 1: Arrive Johannesburg to Blyde River Canyon

On arrival at Johannesburg International Airport (O.R. Tambo International) you will be met by a Strider Expeditions host, who will assist you while you book into your connecting flight to your first destination, Blyde River Canyon. Your host will go through you Itinerary, and answer any questions you might have about your tour or the area.

The Blyde River Canyon is the third largest canyon in the world which boasts awesome views and fairy tale forests. Its wide variety of activities attracts many a tourist, while the landscape has turned many a tourist into residents.

On arrival you are met by your host, who escort you to luxury accommodation overlooking this wonderful area. Here, you may choose from a wide variety of optional activities or choose merely to realax around the pool with drink in hand, while watching the beautiful Africa sunset.

In the evening sit around an open campfire and enjoy a traditional barbeque dinner on open fire. Then observe the stars of the southern skies as you have never seen them before, including the Milky Way and spectacular Southern Cross. In this remote location far from any city lights, enjoy some of the finest stargazing available anywhere in the world!

Day 2: Blyde River Canyon

This morning your host will share with you the splendour of the Drakensberg Panorama Route as you drive through Blyde River Canyon. This tour will take you to view the Mac Mac Falls, Bourke’s Luck Potholes and the panoramic views from God’s Window. You will also make a brief stop at the historic mining village of Pilgrim’s Rest.

The afternoon will be spent at the Moholoholo Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, where you have the unique opportunity of viewing wild lion, leopard, cheetah, eagles and vultures at close quarters. Animals found injured, poisoned or orphaned are given a second chance and released back into the wilds.

Return to your luxury guesthouse for dinner and overnight.

Day 3: Greater Kruger National Park

After breakfast, your Blyde River host will transfer you to Thornybush Private Game Reserve where you will be handed over to your new hosts, who will be looking after you for the duration of your stay at this Luxurious Game Reserve (exact camp subject to availability at time of booking).

Thornybush is part of the world famous Greater Kruger National Park and offers unique exclusive Safari experiences in both open Land Rovers, and on foot. The private reserve is home to an abundance of species: 147 mammals including the "Big Five", 114 reptiles, 507 birds, 49 fish, 34 amphibians and 336 trees. The reserve is predominantly open savannah and with a near perfect year round climate, it is considered by many the ideal African safari holiday destination. Game drives and walks are accompanied by highly trained, and experienced Rangers and trackers, ensuring that your African Safari experience is truly memorable.

You will arrive in time for Afternoon Tea, before embarking on your first Game Drive.

The rest of the evening will be spent enjoying a luxurious dinner under the African Sky socializing with your fellow guests.

Day 3 & 4: Thornybush Game Reserve

You will spend the next 2 days in the lap of luxury. Your intimately private location will provide for your every need, from 5 star lavish accommodation to wildly extravagant African cuisine. Your hosts will endeavor to provide you with a most memorable African Experience. And let’s not forget about the animals that need to be seen, with the Big 5, being the most obvious of items on your wish list. There will be ample opportunity with 2 scheduled game drives per day and an optional mid-morning walks. You can be assured that you won’t come away disappointed.

A typical day will include an early morning up-close game drive followed by breakfast either back at the Main lodge or in the riverbed or bush. The rest of the day is spent at the discretion of the guest and may include additional bush walks with your ranger & tracker, browsing in the intimate library; being pampered at the exclusive Thornybush Spa or simply relaxing at the pool with your favourite cocktail as you bask in Africa's glorious sunshine.

The afternoon game drive is preceded by high tea, and extends into the evening to view seldom observed nocturnal species and where possible tailored to suit individual guest's preferences and interests. Sundowners and snacks are enjoyed by guests during the game drive at a remote, scenic spot. Dinner is served in a variety of locations such as, the boma, the deck or even in the bush. Guests may socialise with a Cognac or single malt before retiring to bed ahead of another day's Safari experience.

Check in, settle down and relax in your outdoor bushveld surroundings before enjoying dinner

Days 5: Greater Kruger National Park

Today, we head south to your second camp in the Sabi-Sabi Game Reserve, to give you the opportunity of exploring a different eco-system within the Greater Kruger National Park.

After your early morning drive you will be transferred by air-conditioned vehicle to Djuma Private Game lodge, which is found on the Sabi-Sabi Game Reserve, which in-turn is also part of the Greater Kruger National Park.

The safari experience here is unique in that Djuma Rangers do not only concentrate on the Big Five, but will also introduce you to the history of the reserve and how the Tsongas (local African inhabitants) once lived on this land alongside the animals.

Days 6: Djuma Private Game Lodge

The typical day at Djuma begins shortly before sunrise, as you are awakened with steaming cup of coffee and biscuits. As the sun rises, you set off on our early morning game drive where your Ranger and his Tracker will combine to locate some of the amazing animals that are to be found at Djuma.

After the exciting morning drive you will sit down to a hearty breakfast. The mid morning activities include a bush walk and / or a cultural drive to the local village. The bush walk will give you the opportunity view some of the smaller and often unseen objects such as animal tracks and insects. Your guide will also introduce you to the culinary and medicinal uses of the various plants.

Alternatively, you may choose to go out on the cultural drive, which visits the local. You will be shown how the local indigenous people live, a way of life that has changed little since time immemorial. From meeting the headman to visiting the schools, guests leave with a sense of wonder at how different our lives are. Guests are also deeply touched by exuberant spirit of these community-minded people.

After Lunch and short siesta, we will assemble again for some tea and cakes and set off for the evening game drive. The game drive stops for a 'sundowner' drink overlooking the magnificent African sunset. The climax of this game drive is at night when a spotlight is used to find some of the more elusive nocturnal animals such as the awesome Leopard or the cute bushbaby.

At the end the night drive a warm, crackling fire and a sumptuous meal awaits at the lodge. To sit around a blazing fire under the endless African night sky - the brilliant Milky Way intense in the unpolluted skies - is to evoke ancient memories of our ancestors who evolved in this magnificent African Savanna all those millennia ago.

Day 7: Johannesburg

After breakfast, you will be escorted back to Johannesburg, where you will have 2 nights to experience one of the most amazing African City’s. Jozi (as it is not locally) is home to several amazing sites of historical and cultural importance.

On arrival you will book into your luxury accommodation in Sandton, Johannesburg. After a mid-day siesta, you will be collected by Johannesburg City Host, who will then escort you on a half day tour of Johannesburg and Soweto. This Tour will take you through the beautiful and history of Johannesburg City -"the City of Gold" see the diverse lifestyles and historical buildings from 1886 when an Australian man named George Harrison discovered the first gold reef in Johannesburg. Experience the hustle and bustle of Johannesburg central from the "Top of Africa" - a 52 storey and highest building in Africa.

We then head to the South Western Township also known as Soweto. A Soweto experience is never the same, one of Africa’s largest, most vibrant and mythical townships it will grasp you imagination and have you singing Nkosi Sikilele before you leave this wonderful cultural location.
During our tour we will visit: the Mandela residence, the Hector Petersen Memorial, and a Shebeen - an African tavern where you can enjoy a drink and listen to traditional township music.

After all of this, we are sure you have a great night sleep in your luxury accommodation, but not before you try out one of many fantastic Restaurants in Nelson Mandela Square.

Day 8: Johannesburg

Today, we venture out of Johannesburg to visit the world renowned Sterkfontein Caves and Maropeng Centre. These 2,2 billion year old caves are the site of some the greatest scientific discoveries of century in the search for the origins of humankind, situated in the World Heritage Site of Gauteng province. An anthropological treasure house of the world where the famous Mrs. Ples - the oldest and most perfect human skull in the world, 2,5 million years old - was discovered in search for origins of humankind. Sites visited are some of the richest in Africa in human evolution. The enormous underground lake inside the cave is something that will stay with you forever.

On our return Journey, we will stop of at the tragic and touching Apartheid Museum. This extraordinarily powerful museum, certain to become one of Johannesburg's most important tourist attractions, has become an obligatory stop for tourists and residents alike. The Museum, with its large blown-up photographs, metal cages and numerous monitors recording continuous replays of apartheid scenes set in a double volume ceiling, concrete and red brick walls and grey concrete floor, is a 20 minute drive from Johannesburg International airport.

Return Transfer to your Guesthouse.

Day 9: Johannesburg

On our final day, we will tour the Lesedi Cultural Village. Here you will share in the fascinating traditions and customs of four different black cultures of South Africa - Zulu (the warrior nation), Xhosa (the proud nation), Pedi (the warm hearted nation) and Basotho (the mountain dwelling nation). Let them lead you through their homesteads, enlighten you with their history, culture and legends. After a traditional dance and sing show from the different cultures, a traditional African style feast will be enjoyed in the Lesedi "Nyama Choma" restaurant from dishes around the African continent.

You host will then transfer you to Hoedspruit Airport for your onward flight to Johannesburg International Airport.

This one seems more "wildlife intensive"...

How about this?
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Ok, this one is much more to my (safari) liking . And you still get some SA scenery and culture. Blyde River Canyon is worth seeing and on your way up to Thornybush. But still "only" five nights on safari, and, well as I said before . . . .

You coming from USA? I ask because it is a long flight(s) to Africa from USA and I like to stay at least two weeks.

Is the itinerary flexible? If so, I'd take it and add a few days at Thornybush and/or Djuma or another private camp in the Timbavati or Sabi Sand reserves. Here's a map of those camps courtesy of Djuma.
http://tinyurl.com/2dvbs2
(Of these many camps I have been only to Kings Camp, Leopard Hills, and MalaMala, each I highly recommend).

Or if that extension is too much of a budget stretch add four-five days in Kruger on you own. But if so, try to do that at start of your trip before the private camps. The camps will spoil you in every way.

You might also add a couple days in Capetown if that appeals to you. I've never been there.

regards - tom
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Tom-

I've written to them to ask if the itinerary is fixed or not, and if it's a small group or private tour. It's a little more upscale as far as accommodations than I would have liked (I really wanted to stay in permanent tents to be able to hear the sounds of the animals...but having a hard time finding them in SA.Guess that's more of a East Africa thing (?)

The price for this one is $3200 pp. Is that a good deal?
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
aby

hi heymo

i agree with tom about the wildlife proportion
(though i think that if one is really interested in wildlife, "big five" is irrelevant, not to say nonsense)

almost all humans can survive a lot more than 3 days on safari (Ann's 3 days were 'just right' - i'm pretty sure 99% would find 7 or 10 day safari simply fantastic. read around...) especially whoever says she/he enjoy wwildlife

why not Kenya-Tanzania? no problem at all. Kenya is quiet & even at the riots' time safari was just fine. TZ never had problems.
'cultural' - Maasai, Hadzabe (hunters-gatherers), Pokot. Turkana & Rendille far superior 'cultural experience' to Zulu

if ready to take a camping tour, budget much cheaper of course

aby
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi aby- thanks for your input. You know- my first thought when we started talking about Africa was of course Kenya/Tanzania. Then of course there was all the rioting, and we thought we should look elsewhere. We went to a dive show in Chicago last month, and there was a guy from a tour operator in South Africa. His presentation was fantastic, and we thought we had a good alternative.

Then I started reading people's suggestions that we should plan on spending $500 per night per person, and the thread about how dangerous South Africa is, and I was back to square one. We're not looking for a luxury tour, I really would like a more "Out of Africa" experience. (and if Robert Redford can be our guide...all the better! LOL) I realize, there can be trouble no matter where you go...we had our car broken into in Hawaii and everything we own stolen, so you never know for sure about any place you go. You do everything you can to be as safe as possible and hope for the best.

Now I'm at the point where I'm looking at the best 5 tours from both areas and make a decision from there. We're making lists of "Must sees" and looking at tours that give the most bang for the buck.

I'm exhausted with all the choices...
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM

heymo - don't know much about the pricing. I just fly in to safari camps then fly home. So that is easy to figure out from camp rates.

I know it is confusing. On my first trip to Africa (2005) I told my agent what I wanted to see were the big 5 up close and personal and often. So that pinned us down right away to only safari camps. But even then the choices are endless. You have some time so no big hurry for decisions. Also May June is considered the "shoulder season" in a lot of places so reservations will be easier and AND rates lower.

regards - tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -