Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

You REALLY DO run into actors in Toronto!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was in Toronto over the Summer, I was at Soma chocolates in the Distillery Building. It was empty except for a man kneeling down in front of the display case of chocolates. I didn't pay much attention and I began to browse. I ended up next to the man as I wanted to look in the case as well. At one point he actually bumped into me. A salesperson comes from the back room and asks the man if he needs any help. He replies, "No, not right now" in somewhat of an irritated tone. Now, I am a movie person and I am very familiar with actors (everyone is called a "celebrity" or "movie-star" these days) Especially actors with VERY DISTINCTIVE voices. I was taken aback. I felt blood rushing to my head as I said to myself, "That sounds just like Alan Rickman!" I KNEW it was him. (Who else has that voice?!) I snuck a peak and sure enough, I was banging elbows with one of MY favorite actors. (Even if other people have never heard of him) I wanted to play it cool. I mean, he is just a person after all. I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to say anything, so I didn't. After a moment he began giving his order. There were 4 of the Balsamic Vinegar chocolates left and he asked for all them - But then he turned to me and said, "Unless this young lady wants some." With my face feeling as if it was on fire and I was hoping it didn't look just as red, I replied that no, it was ok. About 30 seconds went by and I realized what just happened. I DID want the chocolate. That is one of the reasons I came there! I saw it online I said, "Oh, was that the Balsamic Vinegar? I did want that actually." He said to give me 2 but I told him I only wanted 1. He said, "Well, it might be so delicious that you will be upset to only have 1." I said that he had a point and took 2. I forget how everything happened, but somehow he was still choosing what he wanted and I suggested something to him by saying it looked good. (I do that - not just to celebrities I am just that way) but he didn't think it looked good. (It was dark bitter chocolate - I love it, but it is a required taste) ...

Then -this is the funny part- after he was finished with the order the sales guy asked if it was a gift. He really looked as if he was going to start wrapping it and Mr. Rickman looked very uncomfortable like he just wanted to leave already and said, "No" He hurried and paid and left. - This is FUNNY because as I was watching that take place I was immediately reminded of the character he played in "Love, Actually" (The part where he is trying to hurry and buy a gift and the sales guy is making a BIG PRODUCTION about wrapping it going on and on. (Those who saw the movie will get the humor in this)...

I just finished watching "Love, Actually" that is what reminded me of this whole thing. That is why I am writing about it about 5 months after the fact (sorry)

I didn't see him, but I heard Ben Affleck was making his way around town that same day too. The truth is, I wouldn't have been as impressed by seeing him. Alan Rickman really is a favorite of mine. I am just glad an experience like that was wasted on someone who didn't even know who he was!!!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM

omigod! I would have just LOVED that!!
I like him so much and love his voice! I would have followed him around , just listening to him LOL

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:43 PM

Good post.....and I have never heard of him before.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:50 PM

With a few more quality movies, Ben Affleck may soon be living on the streets of Toronto....
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:54 PM

LOL, gary!

With a name like goldwyn, how can you not know Alan Rickman? lol....rent or go see a Harry Potter movie, a film called Truly, Deeply Madly. He has a very distinctive voice and I think he is a very good and entertaining actor.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:45 PM

He played the part of the main baddie in the first Die Hard when they were in the skyscraper.

Geordie
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He was the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood. Maybe you didn't notice him because of Kevin Costner's (rear).
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 09:13 AM

He was great in Sense and Sensibility, too: he was the sweet, reticent hero who came to rescue for Kate Winslet when Hugh Grant was a cad.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Kate,

You got confused ;-) Hugh Grant was Emma Thompson's love. Greg Wise (John Willoughby) was the cad!!

Yes, he was GREAT as Colonel Brandon. I also loved him in Truly, Madly, Deeply ... He is really good in everything he does. EVEN Galaxy Quest!!

Ok, here is a link to IMDB :

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000614/

garyt22,

You made me laugh!!!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:26 AM

Oh, of course, you're right. Hugh Grant has been acting the cad a bit in movies (Bridget Jones) and real life that I forgot he was one of the good guys in Sense and Sensibility.