Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

First time in Quebec City - best area to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Should we try to stay in the old city? I don't want to be surrounded by souvenir shops and bars. We enjoy romantic evening walks, cafes, and not too noisy at night. Thanks!

Karla
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:16 PM

The old city IS "souvenir shops and bars".

I liked an area that had very narrow, cobblestone streets which was not on the hill that the walled-off old city is on.

Unfortunately the language barrier makes it tough for me to direct you to the areas that I found most suitable for lodging.

I'm looking at a map on the internet, and the best I can convey is that much/most of the area in the southern/eastern area of downtown Quebec City is up on a hill.

From what I recall, the street called Rue St. Paul is a rather main street, and where that intersects with highway #440 seemed to be the beginning of the most truly "downtown"-like area of QC.

The streets mostly north (a tad west) of Rue St. Paul are very narrow, cobblestone streets and are very unique to North America. Go along (what I still believe is) Rue St-Paul toward the southwest and you would find many downtown-like, more modern shopping etc.

If I were seeking lodging for a return to QC, I myself would look for possibilities along the Rue St-Paul corridor, just because walking and exploring the culture might be most productive in that area.

(note: again, the area betweem Rue St-Paul and the St. Lawrence River is mostly a very high HILL, on which sits many touristy places like the big, most photographed hotel in the world, along with the old city.)

(how come we were schooled to say "St. Lawrence Seaway" back in the day, and now they settle for "river" ?? - and yes, I know it goes to the sea, but why the change?)

I hope this helps in some small way.

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:44 PM

Look into- gite cote de la montagne - a bed and breahfast right smack in the middle of everything cool. Located at the top of the break neck stairs. A block or so from the stairs that go to the Chateau. Sit on the balcony at night to see the pofessionaly designed lighting of the Chateau etc. Use yahoo and select the pictures tab and type in cote de la montagne and get pics. (also their web site) I have not been there but I will be in July.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:49 PM

Correction: it is the images tab on the yahoo page just about where you type what you are looking for and type in GITE cote de la montagne
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:54 PM

Sorry I am going from memory - I just tried it and adding gite was no good. So leave off gite on the images tab At any rate you can get pics by using the images tab = cote de la montagne and by surfing the web also using the word gite (web tab)
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

How about sidestreets just north of Grand Allee ouest? I found a couple b&b's in this area.
Cote de la montagne price is a bit too high.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 03:52 AM
gdm

Visit the link below for a list of Inns and B+Bs. Choose bed and breakfast, then scroll down the page to the pull down list for "localization" and choose downtown for a list of places outside of the old city. The neighbourhood of Montcalm (where I live!) is particularly pleasant, and close to the old city.

http://www.quebecregion.com/e/hotels.asp
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 04:40 AM

The old city is not all souvenier shops and bars. There are many quiet, old streets lined with private residences and small hotels - perfect for late evening walks. The views out across the St. Laurent from the upper part of the old city are quite beautiful, especially in the early morning when the city is just waking. We usually stay on Rue St. Ursule which is fairly quiet and has many small b&b's and hotels. Some of the larger streets in the old city are quite commercialized and noisy, but don't get the impresssion the entire district is like that. On the other hand, there are some pleasant side streets outside the old walls. I would definitely recommend staying within walking distance however, as driving into the old city can be a pain.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I've emailed several places and am awaiting replies.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:01 AM

Just returned from Quebec City and stayed within the wall at Manoir-Sur-Le-Cap. It is on a quiet street facing a small park. We were in room 56; big room, small bathroom (but who cares on holiday?), and helpful staff.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:03 AM

NorthwestMale: The river has been the St. Lawrence River/Fleuve St. Laurent for hundreds of years, and the name never changed.

The St. Lawrence Seaway, or to give it its full name The Great Lakes and St Lawrence Seaway System, which was completed in 1955, consists of a series of locks and shipping channels from Lake Superior to Montreal.