which airline has best sleeping seats?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going LAX to BKK and need to sleep. Which airplanes from which airlines flying LA to Bangkok have best reclining seats? Is Singapore Exec Coach similar in degree of recline to business class recline on other carriers? Some airlines won't specify which plane will fly so how can I know what I'm buying? Heard Eva, Northwest and China all bad for sleeping. Cathay and Thai probably better but much costlier. Still hunting for discount business class flight. Suggestions?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 03:55 AM

Traveling LAX-BKK and needing to sleep, the best option by a landslide is Thai's non-stop in business class. Seats recline to a 170-degree angle with a 60" pitch between seats.

No economy or premium economy seat that I'm familiar with comes remotely close. (By comparison, premiun economy on that same flight has a 42" pitch with far less recline, and regular economy has a 36" pitch.)
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:18 AM

I've been researching similar options for our trip to Sri Lanka/Maldives.

For ECONOMY, the most comfortable way to go is Singapore Air's nonstop LAX-SIN, then on to BKK. Their executive economy class is virtually guaranteed as they never change aircraft. SQ has the best seats, leg room, entertainment, service and food. Their website shows a lot of detail about this service. While this is all better than regular economy, no economy product is as good as business.

For BUSINESS, Thai Air flies nonstop to BKK as does Singapore Air via Singapore. Both offer lay flat seating on a slight angle. My research shows that Singapore is slightly better on all counts: flatter seat, more entertainment options, better food and service. However, you have to go through Singapore so you may prefer the Thai Air flight for convenience.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:04 AM

Singapore Airlines has the best seats in business for a long haul flight. Their First class is even better but much pricier..I've gone out of my way to fly Singapore on flights to Asia.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Actually, as I understand it, South African Airways has "the best" business class seat for long haul flights. The seats are reportedly softer than SQ and go completely flat. A lot of good that will do you if you are going to Asia, though!

Nks267, I'm with you. We'll fly out of our way to use Singapore if we are going to Asia.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Am curious as to what you have heard about EVA - we fly it in 2 weeks in their evergreen class, and I was truly hoping for a great 'ride.'
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 02:27 PM

daryleann - EVA' Evergreen Deluxe class (or Elite class on the 773ER) is a premium economy product. It's not business class, and the seats are no where near a flat bed.

Great for the price, however.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your guidance. We flew Singapore Business class last spring to Bali and it was terrific. Low on miles, we flew Singapore Prem Economy, to Myanmar in December, service fine, seats poor for sleeping. We will fly SAA to JoBerg in August so I'm looking forward to a good snooze on that one. Looks like we may have to bite the bullet and buy Thai Business class (I flew it to Thailand five years ago and thought it was very good) to Bangkok. Any consolidators that offer decent discounts on these tickets???