Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you think of the Montparnasse are?

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to Paris many times and know the city quite well. I usually stay in the the 7th but for my upcoming trip I'm considering a different area due to hotel prices. I've found a hotel in the 14th called Hotel des Bains. There isn't much about the hotel on the forum but it has great reviews on Trip Advisor and w/Fodors. Does anyone know the hotel and...your thoughts about staying in Montparnasse? I don't know this area well except the train station and the hotel is a few quieter blocks away.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM

I lived on Rue du Texel, a stone's throw from the Gare, when I was a student on my first trip to Europe. I really like the XIV, because it's more like a little village than an urban neighborhood. Lodging values tend to be better than down by the river, but it's still an easy walk to Invalides, St. Germain, and the Latin Quarter. If you're a Métro fan, you'll find there are four lines plus RER B to whisk you away to almost anywhere in Paris.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:03 PM

I like the way Robespierre described it - the 14th feels a lot different from the central part of Paris - it's a regular neighborhood.

I've stayed there twice & liked it. It's definitely less expensive. It's easy to take the RER to CDG.

Sorry, don't know anything about the hotel.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
yk

I'm a Montparnasse convert. It's a great neighborhood with more affordable restaurants, and the best part is the ease of transportation. There are tons of bus lines from Montparnasse that go everywhere in Paris, and that's not including all the different metro lines.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM

I stayed in the sixth, just north of Blvd. du Montparnasse last month. My hotel was about a 10 minute walk from the gare. Les Cars Air France from CDG stop at the gare, €15. I like the area with its good reasonably priced restaurants. Metro links can take you anywhere. I had a Paris Visite card so I went everywhere.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:54 PM

It's a very comfortable and convenient area and the hotel is around the corner from La Coupole, La Rotonde, Le Dome and the other classic 1920's artists/writers hangouts.

A friend of mine lives very nearby and so I've had occasion to be there quite a bit. It's walking distance to St-Germain-des-Pres and on or near several metro lines. It's a nice combination of neighborhood and tourist Paris.

A little bit south is the Edgar Quinet metro station, on a place that feels like small town France, only 2 blocks from the Montparnasse train station.

I've walked by the hotel but never looked inside so can't help there.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:30 PM

Hi Chevre,
I laways stay at the Bains, it is cheap, convenient and clean. Not much about the service and/or the breakfast wthich is not included but the location is great. Lots of reasturants around, short walk to the jardins of luxemburg and alltogether a very good choice. In the same street you also got other small hotels. also nices slighter expensive.
Cheers
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 06:18 AM

Hotel des Bains has been 'around' ever since I've become a Paris addict. I think it was once a 1*, and it looks to have been renovated (or 'refreshed' at least) in the past couple years. The area itself, rue Delambre, is just fine. You aren't deep into the 14th, so it might not be quite so 'villagey' but there are plenty of shops and restaurants, and transportation links.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Nice little hotel in a great little area. We've been staying in this area (at the Hotel Aiglon) since 1982 -- probably about 15 times, now. Close to a number of Metro stations, an easy walk to the Luxembourg gardens, the Tour Montparnasse, Montparnasse Cemetery, the entrance to the Catacombs, St. Suplice Church, and a nice stroll to the Musee d'Orsay. Excellent creperies and bars!
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 10:49 AM

I stayed on Blvd. Raspail my last trip to Paris. Our hotel was right around the corner from Edgar Quinet. We never used the Montparnass station except when we went to Versailles because there were four metro stops within a very quick walk and the bus stopped almost in front of our hotel.

The metro stops were Edgar Quinet, Vavin, Notre Dame des Champs, and one more right down the street on Blvd. Raspail..can't remember which and don't have my map handy. It really made it so easy to get around, and I loved the neighborhood....markets, restaurants, Monoprix, Franprix. I would definitely stay there again.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 12:51 PM

thanks for the great info. it's helped me a lot, too.
dina