Worst holiday apartment?

Old Jan 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst holiday apartment?

Anyone else get that nervous feeling in their gut after they've rented an apartment in Europe? I've rented a couple times before and while each apartment has been adequate, I still can't help feeling nervous about it. I've read the reviews from others, googled the address, etc

So anyone want to share holiday apartment nightmares to show me what the worst could happen?
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 04:27 PM

Why would you want to focus on the worse? That is a negative approach and you probably will have problems.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>Anyone else get that nervous feeling in their gut after they've rented an apartment in Europe?</i>&quot;

No.

And I've never had a bad experience w/ a cottage/flat/villa rental.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 05:00 PM

I've rented apartments from different agencies in different countries many times and have never had a bad experience. Have a look at Slow Trav vacation rentals reviews for the &quot;NO&quot; (I would not recommend) for some worst stories I guess.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 05:03 PM

We've rented about 40 different Gites/apts &amp; every one worked out just fine.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Never a horrible experience with apartments. The only hiccup was in Santorini, where we rented the most beautiful villa with the most perfect view, but everything in the villa was missing (sheets) or somewhat falling apart (deck chairs, when my son sat in one and it collapsed). It was somewhat disappointing, but we comforted ourselves with the unbeatable view and toughed out the other things.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM

P.S. While I wouldn't go back to that villa, I'm not sorry we stayed there.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM

LOL well I was not as fortunate as everyone else it seems. My apartment was horrid to say the least!
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM

We rented a farmhouse in Stroud, UK this past october. I can't describe it exactly, but we were creeped out the entire five days. It was as if elderly people had dwelled in the house, and it was a museum or frozen exactly as they left it.

The books still in the bookcase were from the 1930's. Pictures on the bedroom walls were from the same period, and just seemed to stare at us. The living room furniture was old, and all the windows had mold inside them. I got a sinus infection from staying in that damp, moldy old house. When we left for London, I took a picture of the place from outside. I swear it looked like people in the upstairs dormer windows were looking back at us, but was probably just mist. We were awfully glad to leave, but it was very cheap, so we stuck it out.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 10:57 PM

We've rented apartments/houses in London, Bath, Paris (twice), Florence and Tuscany. Perhaps we were lucky as they've all been fabulous, and not necessarily expensive.

Thinking this through though I must admit that when I'm on hols it takes a lot to upset me, I try to stay calm, and a shrug of the shoulders and a glass of something bubbly will fix most things. I try to keep my glass half full, and don't want to bother with sharing the unpleasant things that happen.

However I am happy to make an exception for heartofthesouth who did manage to rent a truly awful apartment.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Only one I didn't like but the location was great &amp; it served the purpose.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 08:32 AM

No.

But then I'm struggling to understand what virgogirl's complaining about.

Are there really people who find 1930s books odd? Admittedly pictures from the 1930s sound a bit nouveau. Otherwise sounds like an ordinary house to me, only too modern for my tastes.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM

<i>No.

But then I'm struggling to understand what virgogirl's complaining about.</i>

No for me either. But it's no stretch for me to understand virgogirl's complaint -- the house sounds creaky and creepy actually. I can almost feel the dampness, and hear the wind howling. I'm not sure I would have stuck it out.

(P.S. Flanner, my own house is 100 years old, but the books in it tend to be a bit more recent )

Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:29 AM

We stayed in a mini apartment in London, that we had stayed in about 18 months before. When we got inside, it appeared that no one had entered the room/apartment since we had left. But the rest of the builiding was teeming with people; there were immigrant families stuffed into every studio, cooking, making a lot of noise all night, spilling into the hallways... the place was noisy, crowded, not very clean, and filled with stale cooking odors. Not so nice, but super cheap in a great location.

I have trouble believing that no one was ever disappointed in any rental. You guys must be very lucky, incredibly insightful, and super happy. I want to be you when I grow up.

These days, I try hard to stick with companies or apartments that come recommended.

But you know, a hotel can be as bad as an apartment. We had a hotel room in Florida once that had a Murphy bed with a collection of filth around the edges. Nasty.

I do think that there is enough information on the internest that it is becoming easier to avoid &quot;bad&quot; places.

Anyway, Emily71, I'm sure you did your homework and all will be well.

Some of us (me included) are nervous types, but I'm betting you used good judgement and will have a great time. Care to share your rental information?
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:42 AM

I think it's a combination of things to get an apartment that you are not disappointed with - luck, using recommendations from this or other sites, and lots of searching. Along with a healthy dose of holiday laidbackness.

Seamus has some excellent info on another post on what to look for when renting from VRBO.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:44 AM

worst holiday apartment?

Steer clear of the Risbergs (LondonFlatRentals &amp; Ocean Breezes, Bahamas) and you should be fine. Read their tripadvisor reviews its the stuff of Arfur Daley.

They stung me for a small amount but we had the holiday of a lifetime anyway once we rebooked another house.

I am getting increasingly bad vibes (personal experience and reviews) about VRBO - it seems increasingly to be rife with dodgy geezers with &pound;1500 a week sheds - who do not refund security deposits.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM

markrosy: We had a similar experience with the Risbergs when we rented in London, Our apartment was swiched at the last moment, shower broken, hard beds, no bedding, and on and on, then the deposit myseriously returned with inverted numbers. Not enough to ruin a vacation, but a lesson learned. Three other apartent rentals on VRBO proved to be wonderful.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Yup, I had a rental disaster. My husband and I rented a studio apartment in the via dell'Orso in Rome. It was so tiny that when I stood in the kitchen and stretched my arms out I could touch opposite walls. The bed was a mattress in a loftish kind of set up above the kitchen and the bathroom was miniscule. It was also FILTHY, yes, it deserves all caps. There was food stuck on the wall in the kitchen and the bathroom cabinet was full of old bottles of skin care products and old nail polish.

It was supposed to be fully stocked with everything we needed to cook (although it was so uncomfortable and dirty we didn't really want to stay in and eat but had to for budget reasons at least a few times). Well, there was no flatware. So I went to McDonald's and asked for plastic forks and knives.

It used to be listed on NYHabitat and was called something like Fiora but I don't see it listed anymore. Thank God. And we stayed a week in it because it was Christmas and the hotels that we could afford were all booked. Now if we can't afford a better place, we just don't go. But we laugh about it now and refer to it as the hole.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Every apartment I've rented (Paris, Rome, Northern Ireland) have been fine--and I travel on a budget. Some I liked better than others, some weren't as well equipped as I felt they should be, but all were clean, well-located and worth every penny.

There are a couple I wouldn't return to, but only because I've found something I liked even better.

So, yes, it's possible to have only positive experiences. I think it takes doing a lot of homework:
- How many sites is the property listed on?
- Are the reviews consistently good on all sites?
- Do I speak directly to the owner?
- Does it fit my basic requirements? (I have a little list)
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I guess horrible is a subjuntive word. I also think a renter has to be a little bit flexible. Luckily, I've had relatively clean, tidy rentals, the worst was the silverware hadn't been cleaned and the electric kettle had a year's worth of lime deposit.

I know a lot of people who swear by agencies but I usually try to find apartments where the owners actually live some of the time. I find that it feels more like a home and they usually think of all the little extras like adapters, sewing kits, etc. Hotels can be their own private hells, as I once booked a place in No.Ca. that had a bare light bulb in the bathroom, and mold all over the shower and tub. Most delightful were the mysterious stains over all the rug and bedspread. Needless to say we stayed for 2 hrs then left without a refund and stayed at the pricier but nicer big chain motel.

I've been generally pleased with VRBO, but reading their FAQ is a must. In general, a owner can refuse to post a renters comments but a negative response will be counted at the top of the comments. The only way for the owner to get rid of the negative comment is to delete the whole comment section and start over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -