Excursion from Spain to Morocco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will in Andulusia in Nov 2009 and we are interested in taking a short excursion to Morocco. Do you feel that this would be feasible and can anyone recommend a guided tour? One day or 2 day? We think we could get picked up by a tour company in Marbella --they drive you to Algeciras-take ferry to Tangier and return same day or maybe better to stay 2 days.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Please don't just go to Tangiers and back. In fact, I'd advise you to keep Morocco on hold for a time when you can stay a bare minimum of a week and get to know the country.

Tangiers is to Morocco as Tijuana is to Mexico. It's a lot of bother to get there, and it bears no resemblance to the rest of that wonderful country.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

You gave us good advice earlier this year when we were planning this trip to France and Spain. My husband has always wanted to go to Morocco so we thought it might be worth a day trip. We will be away 4 weeks and to do Morocco properly we would need another week. don't know if we want to be away from home longer. Thanks for your opinion.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 03:01 PM
dmlove

<i>Tangiers is to Morocco as Tijuana is to Mexico</i>

Sorry, but I have to agree with this (we went to Tangiers first, but then to Rabat, Fez, Meknes, Casablanca and Marrakech).

Old Sep 14th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

We probably will scrap the idea of going to Morocco. Just don't know when we'll get back that way and we'll be so close.Thanks for the advice.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 03:51 PM

I don't agree about just a day trip to Tangier not being worthwhile. True that it is not representative of Morocco, but it can be a fun trip in itself. Just don't think that you have seen Morocco if you have only been to Tangier. If you go, the old city Casbah section will give you an interesting experience that IMO is well worth a day.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM

I hated Tangiers but think it is a worthwhile trip IF AND ONLY IF:

1. You are not shortchanging Spain.

2. You go as part of a group. DO NOT go by yourselves.

3. Go with an open mind; it is a border/port town. Some areas are very dirty, overall is a dingy city.

4. Don't expect great bargains and shopping at the market. DO NOT DISPLAY MONEY.

I agree the casbah is worth a stop and the look into another culture is always a good exercise, but only IF you make sure of the above.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
To Viajero's list, I'd add: If you're continent counting and don't think you'd ever get to Africa.

When we had the choice of a day trip to Tangiers, I looked for posts here discussing the subject (there are quite a few if the Search feature is working) and most were negative. So we passed.

We were with a tour group basd in Torremolinos on the Costa del Sol and some members of the group took the Tangiers day trip with an organized tour -- it lasted 12 hours. Many told us later that it wasn't worth the time or money but they went to scratch the same itch you guys have. They said their guide dragged them to one vendor after another even if others in the group had zero interest in shopping. Sounds like extracting money out of the tourists is one of the main objectives of the day trip tours. That said, they liked the area they went to outside of Tangiers and the opportunity to ride a camel. We were glad we passed.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

We don't think we will go to Tangiers after all. We would have missed Nerja and Ronda. This way we see more of Andulusia and don't have a &quot;crammed full day&quot; thats not very pleasant. Maybe an opportunity will come up in the future to see Morocco the way it should be seen. We loved all the comments you all made. Thanks for helping us decide.