Where are the best spots in Portugal?

Old Jul 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM
JES
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are the best spots in Portugal?

I'm considering a 10 day trip to Portugal and have never been. Besides Lisbon, where are the best spots? Beautiful, charming, interesting, different, etc...

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM

Spent 14 days in Portugal in June and loved Lisbon, Sintra and the Algarve (much more than expected). If you go to the Algarve, try some of the out of the way beaches (Figuera-where the locals take the sign down so that you can't find the beach, Praia do Castelejo).
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:18 AM

Sintra--beautful

Fatima--lurid and interesting

Obidos--charming

Thingorjus
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Marvao enchanting.

Andywhere along the Lisbon or Alentejo coasts spectacular.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:41 AM

You can start with this albums of photographs and browse on the web site for others on Portugal:

http://tinyurl.com/5bclnq
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Ericeira is a great beach resort.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM

I loved my time in Nazaré. It fits all of your criteria. I was staying with friends in São Martinho do Porto (which I can also recommend) and was able to make day trips to both Fatima and Óbidos.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:20 PM

JES:

Just returned last month from a delightful visit to this gem of a country....after a nice stay in Lisbon/Belem, we drove to Arraiolos, Evora, Vicosa, Estremoz, Marvao, Belmonte, Obidos, Nazare'/Sitio, Sintra/Cascais/ Estoril....each had several pleasing attributes...we liked 'em all.

Here's a passle of pix..just slect the ones you wish to see, or go "slide show"..wherever you go in Portugal you will have a most enjoyable, colorful experience.

http://tiny.cc/Eaw4j

Stu T.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM
JES
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the wonderful recommendations!
Stu, your photos are wonderful. I have a few questions if you don't mind:
Where is the beautiful pool in photo #137 with the yellow chairs and view?

Where is the balcony in photo #169?

Where is the beach area with the funicular in photo # 237 and do you recommend this area? I know there are SEVERAL beach areas so it would be hard to choose.

Thanks for all of the advice,
JES
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Hi Jes:

so you're getting warmed for your Portuguese adventure! It'll be a most rewarding one!

Happy you enjoyed my pix:

#137 is the gorgeous pool with views over the Alentjo landscape, from our balcony at The Pousada "Our Lady of the Assuncion" in Arraiolos, a small town
(arr-ay-oo-loosh), about 15 minutes north of Evora. This Pousada was very impressive, clearly the nicest place we stayed in Portugal.

http://www.pousadasofportugal.com/po...arraiolos.html

#169 was our balcony at the Pousada in Marvao, overlooking the "plain in Spain"....the Pousada was not quite in the same category as the aformentioned, but nevertheless, offers breathtaking views and comfortable lodgings.

http://www.pousadasofportugal.com/po...da/marvao.html

#237 was taken from Sitio, Nazare's "upper district" where the ocean views are superb...we drove up to the Sitio cliffs but the funicular is readily available. All the pics in Sitio were taken from that vantage point.

By the way, JES, if you can qualify (over 55), The Golden Age rates for most of Portugal's Pousadas are 40% discounted. Nothing to do in advance except make the reservation...you may be "carded " when registering...we were asked for proof at only one...a proud moment, indeed!

You will fall in love with this lovely country. Please ask any further questions you may have.

Stu T.
rozstu1@aolcom
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Nice pics Stu---brought back memories. We had the same room at Marvao Pousada and we also have stayed at Estalagem Do Covento in Obidos twice. To JES, my favorite places are:
Obidos
Evora
Marvao
Viana do Castelo
Lagos
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Bob:

we do seem to cross happy paths in many different places, at nearly the same time! Maybe we can connect one of these days....unless a flyboy officer navigator does not fraternize with a lowly Pfc. infantryman!!

stu t.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Hi Jes, My family and I stayed at the Bussaco Palace, in the Bussaco forest, which is just north of Coimbra. We really loved this old hotel, it had magnificent architecture, and wished we could have stayed another day to explore the walking trails there. You kind find it very easily by googling, and if you click on my name, I mention it in my Portugal trip report. We also enjoyed the Algarve, as a break from all the heavy touring midtrip. When in Lisbon, we took daytrips to Belem and Sintra, both very interesting, and easy to get to. We also enjoyed Porto, which is a bit different than the other places we visited. I mention just those, because the other places we went have already been mentioned! Have fun on your trip! pp
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:11 PM
JES
Original Poster

stu,

Thanks so much!! I don't qualify for the Golden Age yet, but what a great program. As I continue with my planning I'm sure I will have many more questions!

Thank you Bob & Patti for your additional suggestions. I will check them all out.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM

I spent a week in Portugal in March 2007.

Loved Porto (although only spent 1/2 day there) - walking across the bridge was a highlight, as was the port

Lisbon was so-so (maybe b/c we didn't spend the night, only 2 days, travelling in from Sintra each time).

Sintra was fanastic. We stayed at the Casa Miradouro which had a lovely garden, great views, and was just 2 minutes walk from the main plaza in Sintra.

Also spent 4 nights in the Mihno region, at Paco de Calheiros (a hotel/villa outside Ponte de Lima). Very pleasant countryside & small towns, but not as nice as the area around Sintra. Viana do Castelo was great though (we spent an afternoon/evening there, watched the sunset, had dinner)
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:47 PM
JES
Original Poster

msackton, thanks for the great tips!
All of this is so very helpful.

Has anyone been to Madiera? My mother went about 40 years ago and loved it...but I'd love an update;-)
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM

bookmarking
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Not sure when you are going, but if you stay a couple days in Lisbon, one of my old friends from Michigan has several great little rental villas and they are incredibly hospitable. One overlooks the square and you can walk down a short hill and be in the middle of everything. www.visitingportugal.com. Jordan and Debbie Kleber operate them, and they do a great job of pointing you in the right direction, the villas are neat as a pin, and they also have one in the Algarve. One night, we ate in this little Nepalese restaurant on a sidestreet near our apartment, and it was fantastic...things don't get going in the morning til a bit later as an FYI.

In Lisbon, the Moorish castle, the aquarium, and the square are great. We took a cab up to the castle and walked down, it seemed like a million steps but a great way to see the town on the way back down. A couple great areas with outdoor Bistros, etc.

We took the train up to Sintra, its an hour or so, and a great site, definitely do the castles, they are incredible.....we wished we'd spent more time up the coast as it looks fantastic. Obidos, etc.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Hi again Jes! Just posting a comment in response to Chewy. We stayed in one of Deb and Jordan's places called "Casa Patria" in Lisbon, and LOVED it. It was spotlessly clean,beautiful decor, and had a great terrace with a beautiful view that we barbecued on, had our vinho verde on(!) and really enjoyed. It's also in a great location. They are really nice people, who were very helpful, and live only two doors down, so readily available for help. Can't say enough nice things about them, and the rental. Have a great time on your trip! pp
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM

@pp-

Small world indeed. I've known Jord since we were 8....He's done African mission work for Habitat, etc. when he's not managing his properties. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with he and Deb.

rj

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -