what to wear in Duomos - Florence/Pisa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is required for dress (male and female) in Duomo in Florence/Pisa?
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 04:45 AM

Shoulders and upper arms covered (t-shirt sleeve length is fine), knees covered (so no shorts, capris are fine).
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 04:49 AM

In June 2001 we expected that it would be as strict as The Vatican. But people with shorts were allowed in. I don't know about nowadays though.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:03 AM

Quokka has given correct information and you may be turned away if you try to push the envelope. Some Duomos are also very strict about bags, banning small backpacks.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

THanks - I have a sundress that is comes just to my knees and (covering maybe the top half of them) and was concerned that I would be turned away at the Vatican and at other churches in Italy
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 03:54 AM

The main problem with your sun dress is probably the bare arms rather than the length. Your upper arms need to be covered--you could carry something to put over the dress.
My Eyewitness Guide to Rome summarizes "both sexes should cover torsos, upper arms and legs."
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 04:03 AM

I was just there 2 weeks ago. My aunt wore capri shorts and a tshirt (shoulders covered). I wore a knee length skirt with a tank top and a sheer short sleeved top over it. If you climb the dome, I recommend doing this because it was very hot by the time we got to the top (and it was early morning) so I could take off the sheer top when reaching the top of the dome, then put it back on before going back inside (many other women were doing this too). Many also had tank topsbut covered their shoulders with shalls, which is a good option if it is too hot. My aunt wore open toe sandals and I wore sketchers. We wore the exact same things in the Vatican and it was just fine.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 04:15 AM

Darling, go ahead and wear a sundress (but I do hope you are doing your Pilates so you don't have that DREADFUL "hanging chad" flab under your arms), but bring along a beautiful shawl as a wrap to cover up any offensive body parts.

Does your husband own a Brioni suit? If so, he should wear it. Italian men are very stylish, especially in Florence and Milano.

I have never gone into the Cathedral of Pisa, so I can't help you there. But, let's just say that people who normally shop Hermes are not walking around Pisa. Most of the tourists there are getting off of buses and are dressed in gym clothes.

Isn't it just dreadful how people want to go around looking like they just fell out of a clothes dryer?

Thanks for tuning in to Thin TV.

Thingorjus