Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich - is the best hotel location near the Marienplatz?

Old May 15th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On tripadvisor, I've noticed that the hotels outside the "ring", closer to the train station, get unfavorable views - seedy area, red lite district, etc.

So should I look for hotels in the Marienplatz area?

Anyone have any favorites?

Thanks, Julie
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:57 AM

The Torbreau, hands down!

Curious
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:57 AM

The station area may look seedy but it's safe and an OK place IMO - handy if taking the train and many upscale hotels there too.

I do not think there are all that many hotels in immediate vicinity of Marienplatz, the epicentre of Munich's pedestrian shopping zone

The station area is handy if not the dreamiest part of town - the redlight district is mainly IME discrete and mainly indoors - not like Amsterdam
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM

>redlight district
Can it be you didn't find the two redlight districts in town ;-)
At the central station there is none, it's forbidden there.
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:31 AM

The Cortiina!!! It is fabulous. http://www.cortiina.com/cortiina.htm

Can't beat the prime location.
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Forbidden or not a few streets east of the station front is what seems to be a red light district - scantilly clad girls - just a few and clubs you go in with them.
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:39 AM

> is what seems to be a red light district
It just looks like that, nothing "happens" there. . (Except that you can get rid of your money fast). It would be far to risky for the girls.
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:49 AM

For the brothels, peolpe find themselves along Frankfurter Ring and down Ingolstädter Street, where you'll find freelancers "open air" during good weather and of course the closest distance from central station is Hansastr. with the girls in their cars. Hi sailor... ;-).

Old May 15th, 2008, 11:05 AM

If you want to be a quiet area with easy U-Bahn access to city center the Munich Marriott is a good choice. Nice typical Marriott, good if you are driving as there is secure parking and easy access to the Autobahn. One block from the U-Bahn station and then about 15 minutes to Marienplatz.
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Curious,

My husband and I are staying at the Torbraeu in Munich..I saw it
on the internet and thought it
looked amazing and located in a great area. natjgc
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:03 PM

The area to the north of the Altstadt along Ludwigstrasse is pretty nice - especially the Schwabing neighborhood. I've stayed there, and you can walk to Marienplatz, or take the U-Bahn (two stops, I think). There's lots to do in the neighborhood, and you can also walk to the two main beer gardens in the Englischergarten. There is a very nice Best Western, and a few other hotels in the area, but also there are apartments to rent which can save some money. Man, I wish I was at one of those beer gardens right now!
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:57 AM

Back to the original question: Is the best hotel location near Marienplatz? Yes, definitely. There is no better location in Munich.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:01 AM

We stayed recenty inside the Old Town at Hotel Herzog-Wilhelm. It was perfectly functional and reasonably priced so as such I couldn't fault it.

Another hotel I saw whilst I was there was Hotel Am Markt, right on Viktualienmarkt and only a minute away from Marienplatz. It looked quaint but is plain and simple on the inside. But great location!

The next time I visit I think I would go for the quality of the hotel rather than location. There is a great U-Bahn subway system which will get you in an out of the old town in no time.

I'm currently writting up my trip report of my Munich stay. Please feel free to read it at:
http://www.colin-julie.com/travel.htm
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:04 AM

I agree that the closer to the cenetr the better.

That said, I've stayed at Lemeridien across the street from the train station. There is on one of the next streets an "adult" bookstore....is this what you feel is "seedy?"

If it is then get READY because right near the Marianplatz is one of the BIGGEST adult stores in Germany..that fabulous Beate Uhse extravaganza and unlike the Christmas markets, not a single thing in there is made in China!

Another convenient nearby area would be Rosenheimer Platz or the area around Senlinger Tor.
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:42 AM

We liked staying near Marienplatz area as we thought it was more convenient for us.

We stayed at the Mercure Hotel Muenchen City when we were in Munich last year. It is within walking distance to Marienplatz (about 1-2 blks)
and nicer area then the train station. I DID NOT like the area around train. Personal opinion. This hotel is in safe area, not seedy area, elevator, a/c, non-smoking rooms
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM

We stayed away from the center of Munich, near the Nymphenberg Palace. At first I was concerned about this being too far from the city center, but turned out to be terrific. We loved the neighborhood, there is a nice beer garden close by, and public transportation into the center of Munich was very easy.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM

I've also stayed in the Le Meridien across from Hauptbahnhof - it was lovely, and I think there's a Sofitel there that is very nice. Anything along the main S-Bahn/U-Bahn corridor near Marienplatz and Hauptbahnhof is fine.