Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carry-on - Regardless

I just want to share my relief that I am packed and ready to go to Italy
and France for 5 weeks and 3 climate
variations in a 20" carry-on with a
laptop-sized newsboy bag......now I can put aside my OCD and smugly watch my Dh try to stuff all his gear into a backpack.....running shoes, hiking boots, sandals and all!

Ah the joys of travel in the 21C!
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Sounds like you figured out the almost impossible. I took a 21" carry on last month to Italy and France. It was heavy, but each time that I had to place it in the overhead, I was lucky enough to have a man passing by to lift it. Probably just doing it to get me out of the aisle. But it was nice to walk right out of the airport and no worry of lost luggage since I had 3 connections.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM

That is my problem scatcat, I could pack everything in a carryon but I am not able to lift to the overhead bin, sigh. Consequently one checked bag and a carryon (which fits under the seat ahead of me) works best in my situation. But I agree, not having to worry and wait for a checkin piece of luggage would be fabulous.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM

I'll just ask this question here...am going to Dublin next week and wanted only carry-on, but see that Aer Lingus is only allowing 13 lbs.for a carry on bag. Is that right and do they enforce it? Thanks for any help...
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:36 PM

How did you do it?

I'm going to Germany/Austria/Sud Tirol on Sunday for 4 weeks...and I'm not flying but I'm going by car. But we have all the babys stuff and I need summer stuff, winter stuff (for up the alps), formal/very dressy stuff, traditional stuff (dirndl), hiking stuff, running stuff. I don't know how I'm going to fit everything, plus hubbies stuff, plus all the babies gear into the car. I can usually travel very light but this time I just don't know how I'll do it!
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My normal carry-on weighs about 20 lbs and I find I can easily lift it over my head. My main problem is being so short, I can't reach the overhead in most jumbos. I step up on my seat and can get it into the bin no prob -- but the minute I step up, about 6 or 8 people (men and women BTW) come running to my aid. I have less problem getting it down out of the overhead since I can pull the handle and then balance it on the way down.

llamalady: Congratulations!!

LoveItaly: You'll learn all the tricks next week

lvillinois: Unfortunately, AerLingas is pretty strict about the weight of cabin bags.

Lawchick: The drindl is the killer But for formal - think separates. A long skirt or evening pants and then fab, dressy tops. And for the Alps - you really don't need heavy clothing. Layering lighter garments and maybe taking some silk long underwear would cut down on the volume.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
yk

~22-24lbs is pretty much the limit for me in terms of lifting the suitcase overhead or carrying it up 2 flights of stairs.

I wonder how much scatcat's luggage weighed?
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Do you know the temperatures at 2,000 or 3,000 meters up the alps?...I don't think silk underpants and a few t shirts is going to cut it....brrrrrr

Evening pants? I don't know what they are but anyway I have to go to a ball, so my husband will be the only one wearing any kind of trousers.

I need a big people carrier bus thang. The car with boot and baby and hiking and balls and the like will prove somewhat difficult me thinks.
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM

I didn't weigh it, but I imagine it weighed more than 20 lbs. I didn't have trouble carrying it up steps, just getting it overhead.
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I did not say silk underpants nor skimpy t-shirts. Silk long underwear is quite warm. And yes I know about cold temps a mere 2000-3000 meters up. Here in CA we have mountains just as high and just as cold.

I have been to a <b>FORMAL</b> event (in the presence of Her Majesty the Queen) - long white gloves and the whole nine yards - out of my 21 inch carry on. As long a a true ball gown is not required - a long skirt and killer top is easily packed in a small or small-ish suitcase.
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM

&quot;I have been to a FORMAL event (in the presence of Her Majesty the Queen) - long white gloves and the whole nine yards - out of my 21 inch carry on. As long a a true ball gown is not required - a long skirt and killer top is easily packed in a small or small-ish suitcase.&quot;

anisj - you are my new hero.
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:52 PM

I'm impressed by your packing, llamalady. Have a great trip!

Anselm
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

My 20&quot; weighs 25# and the bag 9#.
I weight-train three times a week
so I will be able to lift both easily. I think.

But my packing is a snap this time -
no big cities, no Michelin *ed restos and no winter gear. And
most certainly no baby! lol!

I liken the machinations I went through in order to get all the clothes and shoes in 20&quot; to doing
a senior sudoku and Rubik's cube
at the same time. Quite challenging
but still a game....

Thanks, AA - I may even write a trip
report on the Allier - I'm sure not
too many have been forthcoming!
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM

janisj- I know you are the packing guru in these parts...what clothing can I expect to bring and be under 6-7 lbs.?

llamalady-what does your suitcase weigh empty? Mine is a 22&quot; and weighs in at 7 lbs. Maybe I should try a lighter suitcase...
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM

You guys are killing me. I go away for a weekend and can't fit everything in a 21&quot; suitcase! Can you just see me in October, packing for 10 days in Rome and Paris?!
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:46 PM
yk

Well, of course, it's much easier to pack women's clothes in a 21&quot; than men's clothes in the same size suitcase. DH's clothes (shirts, pants, as well as underwear) are at least 2-3x size of mine. And forget about him bringing an extra pair of shoes! Those shoes will just take up 1/2 of the suitcase.

Being a nice wife, I usually offer some space in my suitcase for him.

In return, I take advantage of his 1-qt ziploc bag. He usually has just 3-3 bottles, so I fill his bag (as well as mine) FULL to the point of bursting.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Ivill: In order to give you my suitcase weight I'd have to unpack -
and THAT ain't happenin'! But it's
a Delsey &quot;featherlight&quot; or some such; I think it's about 7 pounds.

I used to have a hard-sided Delsey 19&quot; that weighed 5 lbs. but it ended
up w/a big crack - probably from the
overload of shoes! I've also used a
3 1/2lb. backpack because my Dh is
a Believer - I had a religious experience when I threw the damned
thing in the garbage!

We're flying BA b.c. and the upper
weight allowance is 51 lbs. - and
you must be able to hoist the bag
yourself. It helps that I'm tall.

I am quite amazed at the amount of
clothing I managed to shoehorn into
this little case - not to mention the books and incidentals. It can
be done!

Old May 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM

lvillinois, you can cut a lot of weight if you bring a suitcase without wheels. I'd imagine that you could carry 13 pounds without having to drag it?
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:14 AM

lllady- OMG! I would never want you to unpack!!I know what a relief it is to have those clothing decisions done and packed. But I can get the weight since you gave me the brand...thanks!

BA allows 51lbs! Carry on? That would certainly make packing a little easier..American allows 40 and I thought that was a lot! We are flying AA in Sept for a multi country trip so at least I will have more weight to work with...

Noe-yes I can carry 13 but I was trying to make next week's trip a dry run for Sept's. I am going to look around for a lighter bag without wheels..
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:27 AM

51 lbs is for checked baggage on BA I believe. They are more worried about dimensions that weight for carry on - how on earth could you pack 51 lbs of stuff in a legal carry on? They can be strict on the dimensions though! Even all my camera stuff with huge lenses doesn't come near that weight.
My carry on is always my camera gear so I have to check a bag no matter what.
But I don't mind doing that, nor waiting for the bag when I arrive. After 10 hours on a plane an extra wait for the bag is no problem and often the bags are on the carousel by the time I clear Immigration in the US!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -