Neighborhood / Apartment / Agency in Florence - Help needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to start, I have researched Tripadvisor, Fodors, SlowTravel and Rick Steves already, but I am looking for specific information on a few apartments and locations in Florence so I can finalize my booking.

Interested in safety, noise, character, quality of the neighborhoods, apartments and agencies. Also convenience and ease to get into the main part of the town (between the Duomo and Ponte Vecchio)book my apartment.

Also, for those in the Oltrano, where can you walk across the river to get to the main sights?

Everyones help would be greatly appreciated as this will be a trip for my family of five (husband/wife and 3 kids ages 10, 13 and 16) and I want everyone to be happy.

Via Velluti @ Via Toscanella
The apartments are called the Palazzo Belfiore (offered by multiple agencies including Rental in Florence and SPQR opinions on them would be helpful)

Borgo San Frediano
(about 1 block from the Ponte bridge near the intersection of via de Serragli and Borgo San Frediano)
Apartment is called Caeser (offered by Italianizeme - opinions on them too)

Piazza Signoria (don't know the street, but it is right on the Piazza)
Apartment is called In Centro (offered by Ville in Italia so once again opinions are helpful)

Via dei Bastioni
Apartment called Villa Bastioni (offered by Holiday Homes Tuscany opinions welcomed)

Via Vigna Nuova N° 17
Apartment is called Vigna Nuova (offered by House in Florence - opinions welcomed also)

Piazza dei Ciompi overlook (I believe between Via de Mezzo and Via de Pietrapiana)
Apartments in the Palazzo Cavaliere (although I think they are known by other names depending upon the agency) called Ghibeti and Gucciardani offered by Excellent Europe (opinions welcomed).
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Try SleepinginFlorence.com also
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - I tried a bunch of agencies including Sleeping In Florence (they had no availability). Any opinions on the areas and apartments?
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:27 AM

It would be helpful if you posted the links to these apartments.

Just off the top of my head I would say Piazza della Signoria is not a good place to stay because it would be very noisy.

Places in the Oltrarno between Palazzo Pitti and Santo Spirito would be close to the historic center. (BTW all the bridges are Ponte bridges -- Ponte is the word for bridge.) Besides the Ponte Vecchio which will be crowded and noisy, the Ponte Santa Trinita and Ponte alla Carraia are convenient crossings. Or one bridge north of Ponte Vecchio, Ponte alle Grazie. All of this is about a 15-20 minute walk to the center.
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Didn't want to burden everyone with having to look at the apartments, but if that will help - here they are:

Via Velluti @ Via Toscanella
The apartments are called the Palazzo Belfiore - specific units are the Clarice and the Leone offered by multiple agencies including Rental in Florence and SPQR opinions on them would be helpful) http://www.residencebelfiore.it/eng/location.htm

Borgo San Frediano
(about 1 block from the Ponte bridge near the intersection of via de Serragli and Borgo San Frediano)
Apartment is called Caeser (offered by Italianizeme - opinions again)
http://www.italianizeme.com/case/serragli/page.html

Piazza Signoria (don't know the street, but it is right on the Piazza)
Apartment is called In Centro (offered by Ville in Italia again opinions are helpful)
http://www.villeinitalia.com/houses/InCentro.jsp

Via dei Bastioni
Apartment called Villa Bastioni (offered by Holiday Homes Tuscany and Holiday Velvet opinions welcomed)
http://www.holiday-velvet.com/floren...stioni/id/4433

Via Vigna Nuova N° 17
Apartment is called Vigna Nuova (offered by House in Florence - opinions welcomed)
http://www.houseinflorence.com/public/lista_uk.htm

Piazza dei Ciompi overlook (I believe between Via de Mezzo and Via de Pietrapiana)
Apartments in the Palazzo Cavaliere (although I think they are known by other names depending upon the agency) called Ghibeti and Gucciardani offered by Excellent Europe (opinions welcomed).
http://www.excellenteurope.com/Flore...oCavaliere.htm

Old May 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM

I would say Villa Bastione is a little far out if it is near Piazza Michelangelo -- a bit of a walk uphill to get to it. But it's a lovely apartment!

Piazza della Signoria would be noisy, I think

Casear in San Frediano looks nice and is close in. I'd like to see more photos, though

Palazzo Belfiore looks nice, and is well-situated I think.

Vigne Nuova looks OK. Might be more noisy.

Palazzo Cavaliere is a little further out on the opposite side of the historic center but looks nice.

Remember, lst floor in Europe is 1 flight up from the ground, so second is two flights up, etc. If there is no elevator, remember you have to haul your luggage up and down.
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the points of view. In checking with some Florence experts (including those living there) they generally thought that the Piazza della Signoria was the best choice followed by the Borgo San Frediano and Palazzo Belfiore locations. Apparently the Signoria is not that bad since it is pedestrian only (and during the day we will be out and about and not there to hear the throngs). We shall see and I will post when I get back so others will know.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM

bookmarking
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Hi Erousseau11, have you tried perfectitaly.com? I'm renting an apartment with them for 2 weeks in October which is centrally located.

Good luck!

jdc