Search

Globe Theatre

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Globe Theatre

My daughter has been begging to see a Shakespeare play during our stay in London. Is the Globe Theatre the best place to do this?
Any recommendations concerning the theatre?...I know that it is open air and the seats are rather uncomfortable...
Thanks
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:33 AM

What do you mean by "best"?

The Royal Shakespeare Theatre (this year at the Tricycle and the Round House) generally has the highest consistent standard of acting.

The National Theatre usually has one Shakespeare in repoertory, and the best-funded productions, often with name actors - and it's overwhelmingly the most comfortable theastre (though I can't see why that should worry one so young).

The Open Air Theatre in Regents Park has an enjoyable atmosphere. On a fine summer evening it's close to idyllic.

And the Globe - even though its productions may be patchy - gives you a sense of what going to plays felt like in Shakespeare's day. Take (or hire) a cushion if you;re not naturally upholstered.

None is best. The point about Shakespeare is that you can do with him pretty much what you - er - will. Just enjoy it.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:35 AM

When are you going to be there? The Globe season is from April to Sept. There are other opportunities to see Shakespeare though. In March we're going to see "Much Ado About Nothing" at the National Theatre and tour the Globe during the day.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

We will be there in May and was hoping to see "Midsummer Night's Dream", although "Taming of the Shrew" is our very favorite...

"Naturally upholstered" - what a humorous way to put it I had mentioned the comfort factor because I noticed that one could "rent a cushion" and that seemed peculiar to me.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:49 AM

The seats are long wooden benches - they're not particularly uncomfortable but they're not upholstered.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
They are not upholstered - but they do rent cushions and back supports if you need them (and blankets for that matter)
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I think watching a Shakespeare play at the Globe is a great experience for a Shakespeare fan. My teenaged daughter is a big fan and she loved going to the Globe. You can buy seats on the benches but your daughter may want to stand with the groundlings which we did. You will be standing through the whole performance on concrete so wear comfortable shoes. You can sit down during intermission so it might be nice to have a jacket you can sit on.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:23 PM

We saw a play at the Globe Theatre and loved it. I'm not sure I agree with Birdie about standing, although lots of people do, especially if you have been walking around London all day. It was a great experience and I would do it again.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 06:55 AM

Even taking the tour of the theatre as part of the Globe Experience is great

though some tours don't allow visits to the actual theatre if it's being used
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:17 AM

A Midsummer Night's Dream is playing at the Globe from 10 May. I would book good bench seats, as you have some cover if it rains. Your daughter can then choose to stand for a while if she wants. Check out and book via the website:

http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/th...ernightsdream/
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 08:04 AM

We loved the Globe theater experience. We are not Shakespeare experts, but it was a highlight of London. I ordered tickets in advance so we could sit in the back row of the lower gallery, therefore being able to lean against the back.