Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Short term living in Spain -- where to start?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
LisaMetels

My boyfriend and I have been thinking about moving from the States to Spain in a year or two to study the culture and hopefully master our Spanish. We'd like to stay for 3 to 6 months, preferably without having to find a job. Our first concern is naturally where we're going to stay. What would be our best option? Is there a way that we could find a host family without being enrolled into a university? Most of the hostels seem to be a little high considering our stay would go beyond a few weeks. We've considered renting a furnished room or apartment as well, but the prices are also quite high. Our budget is somewhat low, and we hope to remain not much over $5000.00 for our stay. We plan on spending only on travel expenses, food and board. Although it isn't necessary and its somewhat of a stretch, it would be great if we could find somewhere that would allow our small dog to live with us!

Thanks in advance for helping us out.

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
$5000 for two people for six months? That's less than $20USD (~13 Euro) per person per day! I don't think that is enough.

If instead you keep the trip just under 3 months that doubles your budget and eliminates problems with paperwork (you'll need to check for Spain but many countries have a 90-day limit for standard tourist entry).
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<<< We'd like to stay for 3 to 6 months, preferably without having to find a job >>>

Do a bit of research on Schengen where you'll find it's impossible to legally stay longer than 90 days unless you get a visa specifically for Spain
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
90 days will be your limit w/o a visa (that is for all of Schengen - not just in Spain). And w/ only $5000 for two of you for up to 6 months, you aren't likely to get a visa.

If you enroll in a legitimate school program you could possibly get a student visa - but the cost of a program plus accomodations, food transport etc for the two of you will be more than $5000.

Plus taking a dog? You <u>really</u> need to do some more research . . . . .
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:13 AM

Look for WTNow's postings here (and WT on SlowTalk.com ) as she and her family have been enjoying Spain on a low budget. However, you do need to resolve the visa issue.

Also, if you do want to go so cheaply, maybe Mexico or elsewhere in Latin America would work better?
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM

if you already speak spanish you could try to go south or north to a SMALL town where the rental would be MUCH cheaper.

Lugo is one of the cheapest real estate markets in spain.

near large cities like valencia, for example, half board with a family would be about 600 euros/person per month.

off season beachfront apartment would be about 800-900 plus utilities near a large city.

good luck.

i agree you have very limited funds fro such a long stay.

and you can´t work here anyway.. so that is not an option to help increase your funds.

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM

We lived very well last year in Spain for 5m on 33 dollars a day for a family of 3.

That said we applied and got a long stay retirement visa ( which can not be gotten on a budget) and we also put lots of money into pounds and euros when the dollar was high.

Still, if you winter in a small town in southern Spain, your monthly rent should be very cheap. If you live like a native ( buy from the local farmers and or hyper market etc) and simply, you can live here very cheaply.

We can walk to everything, so that cuts out transportation costs. We cook most of our own meals or go out for lunch at a reasonable place if we eat out.

I had a friend who came for 6m and her husband studied language at a school in Salamanca. She worked via computer to her office in California and they put the kids in the local school.

They all got much better in Spanish and that is one way to get around the visa issue ( get a student one) and stay 6m).

I have been told that you can renew the 3m tourist visa here and stay another 3m, but I don't know if that is true or not.

My friends absolutely froze in the winter in Salamanca, so we decided to go to Andalucia even though the level of Spanish is not as good.

We only pay 650 euros a month for a really nice, brand new 3bd, 2b apartment for the winter.That is less than 650 dollars for us, but will probably more for you with the dollar declining.

That includes internet and sky TV and a pool all year. It does not include electricity, but if you are mindful, that is very cheap too.

You could find a one bedroom for much, much, much cheaper in small town. It is a great way to immmerse in the culture and you can walk to everything or take a bus or train if you want to tour more.

If you know how to be frugal, you could easily live on that. Most Spanish people living in small villages are not rich.

Andalucia is very popular in the summer, so there are many, many places available in the winter months.

THey make their money in the summer with the high weekly rents. In the winter they prefer to have something and most will negotiate down for a good long time renter.

I would forget about bringing your dog. It probably can be done, but will up your hassles and expenses immensely.

It might be even better in a few years as Spain is really over built ( and still has more cranes here than anyone in Europe ...continuing to build and build).

The market is REALLY slowing down. The big agency that just rented us this place just closed down 2 huge offices that had been doing well until this Spring.

With so many houses that can not sell,more and more people will be looking for any renter that they can get.

Of course, who knows how low the dollar will fall and that will impact your stay greatly.

If you are just starting to save, maybe open a European account or at least save it in Euros, pounds or swiss francs maybe. If gold goes down again..but a little maybe.

Just some thoughts, hope it helps.

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:29 PM

Have you heard of Pueblo Ingles, a program that lets you live free if you consent to speak with their students in English? I only read a short article about it but if you want to investigate, here is their site; apparently they have a program in Italy as well:

http://www.morethanenglish.com/anglos/index.asp

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:53 PM

'I have been told that you can renew the 3m tourist visa here and stay another 3m, but I don't know if that is true or not.'

Absolutely impossible, in post-Schengen era.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM

Cave living is getting very popular in Andalucia, give it a go...! (sounds like a joke, but it is not...)

Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 06:30 AM

Click here: SUR in English

I have just checked this week's edition of Sur in English and the ad section showed a lot of apartments availabale for reasonable prices.

Sorry, I don't know to add links properly but I am sure you can find the link yourselves. If not, email me and I will send it to you.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 08:03 AM

As others have mentioned here and you will find a couple of problems:

What you want to do is illegal - tourist visas for US citizens are valid for 90 days only - then you must leave (or be deported if found). Other types of visas (student, work) you must meet stringent qualificatoins for in advance.

Assuming you stay in hostels (you amy be able to rent apartments for a week at a time - but the cost won;t be substantially less) the cost for 2 people per night, given the pitiful state of the dollar will be at least $50 - or for 90 days - $4500. And that's just for the most basic sleeping - no food or transport or sights or anything.

I think you need to do 2 things:

Look at the legalities of travel to europe

Put together a reasonable budget based on actual costs quoted for hostels, apartments, train travel and meals and add them up. You're nowhere close - even if you're willing to do only 2 meals a day with food bought from supermarkets and cooked yourself.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 09:46 AM

I don;t think it is very hard to get a 6m student visa, so do look into that.

The other way you could do this legally is spend 3 months in Spain and then 3months in a non schengen coutnry like Turkey, Croatia, Morocco etc.

I would come in off season..fall and winter and rent by the month,,.that will save you a bundle and its really easy to find.

I know a retired Brit who rents a place in gorgeous Capadocia, Turkey in the winter for practically nothing.No Spanish speaking and not warm, but another way around your idea.

Don't let others here discourage you, there are lots of people who live in Europe long term legally on very little.

You can live very well on very little here, Both the places we have been have killer huge terraces and outrageous ocean and mountain views. The equivalent at home would be at least 2000 a month.

Our neighbors give us big bags of free avocados and mandarins from their gardens and we buy huge bags of fresh veggies for a euro.

If you live like a native and not a tourist, you CAN live well here for very cheap.

Don't give up on your dreams. Do put lots more research into your choices and go to places like bootsnall where lots of people are doing cheap, long term travel for very little.

Forget hostels and weekly rentals...go for off season monthly rentals of the same places that go for a fortune by the week in the summer.

You can approach people via internet and ask them about long term rentals in teh winter. That is what we did the first time. We rented from someone who had never had a winter renter before.

Those that are living large may turn you down, but there are plenty of people in this economy that are thrilled to have a winter rental and will negotiate down.

Pick a bunch in the area that you decide on and use them all when negotiating, until you get the best deal. Do not be afraid of some &quot;no's&quot; along the way and the nay sayers, just keep your eye on what you want and find ways to do it.

Carpe diem!
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:51 PM

Have you considered a home exchange? There are a number of people who like to do long term home exchanges or you could arrange more than one for your home although that would entail moving part way through. We use www.homelink.ca and although we haven't exchanged for longer than three weeks, we plan to do longer exchanges when we retire or when we have more time whichever comes first!
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM

Looks like this poster has unsubscribed from the forum.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM

Well it's good info for the rest of us I guess.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 07:02 PM

Guess she didn't like the answers ya think?...although I don't know why she wouldn't. Hmmm...strange
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 04:22 AM

I hope it wasn't the cave living suggestion...I really mean it
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 04:32 AM

The caves are really cool and real!! There is a lot of cave living all over Europe...just dig out a little more if you need more space. Cool in the summer , warm in winter.

I know someone who bought one in Quadix ( probably spelling that wrong) area near Granada area. They are facinating to look at and she is really happy with her bargain home.

We had a ball staying in a 4000 year old cave in Cappadocia ( which is now a world class boutique hotel..Esbelli Evi.)
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 09:12 AM

It's unfortunate. I never understand when a poster pulls out after just one question and a few replies. Here's hoping she'll decide to check in again to read WTnow's great posts about how she could make the plan (or something close to what was proposed) a reality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -