Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! I can't seem to pack and we leave Monday!

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an experienced packer when it comes to business trips or sunny destinations. I have planned and planned for our trip to Tuscany and Rome. Thanks to much input from Fodors folks, we have a great trip planned. I have thought and read about what to pack for our destinations and know to be aware of proper attire for church visits. I have our money belts, our adaptors, small binoculars, the camera etc etc. But - we leave Monday and I have only packed our toiletries, zip-loc bag and have our itineraries ready, credit card companies called, atm bank informed etc. 11 days - what to wear?
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Ladies: capri pants, flip flops or sneakers. T-shirts, short sleeve blouse, skirts for evening or sundress?

Men: shorts, cargo pants, jeans, khaki's, polo shirt, T-shirts, button downs for evening, flip flops or sneakers.

Dont forget camera charger, cell charger, belts if necessary.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:00 AM

What natc43 said. It's best to take clothes that don't wrinkle much. Take a sweater for cooler nights and a coat in case of rain. And don't forget comfy shoes!

For our past two trips (N. Germany and Amsterdam, and Spain and Portugal), I took capris, skirts, tees, tank tops, jeans and sweaters. I made sure they could all be worn with one another. I made myself a clothing packing list in Excel and I write down what exactly I took, then make comments at the end (too much, didn't wear). It has really helped me take only what I need and not any more. If you like, I can e-mail it to you.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Well, since you asked: Any variation of black washable silk slacks, lightweight light color slacks or capris, a reversible lightweight silky skirt, short sleeve tops (black, white, a color) a long sleeve top or two that can double as a lightweight jacket, perhaps a windbreaker, GOOD shoes for walking (walking sandal, walking shoe), lightweight nightie, undies. Pick up a scarf in Florence or Rome to accessorize.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:08 AM

pavfec, i do the same thing... have a list and modify it as i travel! Its helpful!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:46 AM

nat, I'm a list-a-holic. Don't know what I'd do without them! It has certainly helped me a great deal with packing the right clothes and shoes for our trips.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Haha! Me too, me too!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Probably too much information but I pack my oldest panties and take enough that I don't have to wash them for rewearing. Then I just trash them after I wear them.

They are usually stuck in the back of my dresser drawer anyway and this way I keep making more room in my suitcase for purchases.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

I too am a list person. I have a list going now and I have used excel religiously for years from packing lists to christmas shopping lists. I will write down everything I pack and then keep track and let you know. I appreciate the list offer but think I have one to start with. What do you think of a shawl/pashmina for the Rome churches? I was on a cruise a couple of years ago and my Excel itinerary was a big hit! Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I even plan to pack my Rome clothes separately in a big ziploc bag to keep things organized. I am a flip-flop wearer and have been forwarned.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Make sure you have good comfy waterprof walking shoes (flip flops are not great when it rains or walking on cobblestone streets - or places where there are no sidewalks.

Defiitely take a folding umbrella. And we always take a hooded, tissue weight rain jacket - in case we get more than the usual drizzle.

As for the shorts - we don;t do them in cities - but do light weight pants (or for me capris) instead. And since we go out to dinner every night - and usually one upscale place in each city - he brings a light weight blazer and I bring 2/3 silk pants or skirt outfits and a decent pair of wedges (easier walkinng on uneven pavements than spike heels).
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:31 AM

...I am of the what do I think I need, hang things up and put in a pile..look at it a day later and think what do I REALLY need and pack half of what I orginally thought I would need.- Summer- pants I wear on the plane plus 2 other pair one of which is dressier (the pr on the plane and the dressy pair black and likely kahkis and 1 skirt and 1 pr shorts..everything in the same color groups for easy coordination. You must layer for a cool evening. Be realistic about how dressy or casual your wardrobe will need to be. Almost all tops and certainly undies can be washed out in the sink. shoes again minimum- walking shoes which I wear, a pair of canvas sneaker like things (if I will be in the country), heels and a flat/sandal...but I modify depending on the activities. I never bring something that can only be worn for one function except maybe a slinky tank top (which I wear under something that I will wear for other purposes). I dont have travel clothes..just my usual favorites but I never bring "high" care clothing with me that wrinkles or dirties easily (white pants).
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Well, you're already doing better than I usually do since I don't start packing until the night before. I do travel quite often though so we have basically everything in one place ready to go.

I too am a list person. I have a packing list that I print off and use.

Tracy
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

I organized my drawers and closet last weekend as a prelude to my packing. Every thing is in order by pant length, skirts, dresses and I confess to even organizing the tops by color. I think you are all giving me great advice. I am not sure that I can live up to your packing light standards but promise to give it a try. And I can always buy anything I cannot desperately live without!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Hi,
we just got back from our 2 week trip to Italy and I am so glad that I threw in a pair of Ecco sandals. I wore them everyday. I even threw away a pair of shoes that didn't perform well. The other thing I was so pleased with was a Skrunchy jacket from Ex-officio. It truly is something that can be wadded up in the suitcase. And it really dresses up a t-shirt and capris. It was quite warm and I wore capris most of the time. A lot of people wore the Columbia type 'adventure wear'- those with the zip off pants.
To dress up a bit, I wore Cole Haan flats with the Nike Air heel- very comfortable.
Relax about what to take- you will see everything.
Have a good trip.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:34 AM

No shorts, flip flops, tanks or other beach attire unless you will be on the beach or hiking the CT.

Skirts, linen blend slacks, dresses and capris for the ladies with nice sandals (cooler and more attractive than athletic shoes). Colors that mix and match, and easy care fabrics.

For dinners, I pack a black tank dress in summer that I can accessorize with a pretty wrap and a pair of black slacks with twin sets. Mid heeled black leather sandals.

Slacks and collared shirts for the men, with walking shoes. Personally, I think cargo pants are sloppy looking and am happy that my husband does not own any.

I think the zip off pants are best saved for camping. But then, I am a city girl and find it quite easy to dress well and be comfy in any climate.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:07 AM

I'm so glad you've posted this question -- I was on here looking for the same advice. We leave on the 19th for Rome, Florence, Chianti, Milan.

So far, I've packed nothing but my plan is:
* anything that goes in the suitcase has to go with 2 other items. We are changing hotels several times so I need to be able to rewear things, but you're right, amwosu -- not washing out underwear!
* Sticking to basic colors of white, khaki, brown, black, and maybe a little pink. Linen blends & layerable pieces.
* I can't get by on one or two prs of shoes as posters on other threads have suggested. Thanks to Leilei, I'll be visiting Ecco. My husband has worn nothing but Ecco for years, but I've never tried them.

Does anyone have suggestions for brands of rainwear? I've never been able to find something truly waterproof that breathes -- it is going to be hot, after all.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:26 AM

good lord-you are way ahead of my packing schedule. If I were leaving on a Monday I'd be up very late Sunday night packing!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

I have a nice "little black dress" and a black and fushia dress and a skirt and top all set for Rome. All are the perfect length and though sleeveless can be covered up nicely and dressed up or down depending upon whether I am going on a tour or to dinner. So those are a must.

I have capris all set and plan to do what another poster suggested - be sure I pack mix and match items.

I even bought a nice linen shawl (made in Italy) to bring and it shouldn't take much room.

Wish I had bought the little pacsafe purse but it is too late now.

What will be will be... I intend to have fun and not sweat the small stuff. After all, on Thursday I will be 50. I intend to do it with grace...

To all of you leaving soon too - enjoy and I look forward to hearing all about it.

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:56 PM

go here: http://upl.codeq.info/

This site generates a packing list for you based on how long you're going, what kind of suitcase you're taking, etc. Have fun!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:53 AM

pmuzzy17,

Glad to read you are packing and ready to go!!! I'm doing the same thing -8 days and counting! Happy Birthday to both of us!!! Have a great time!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -