clothing for summer touring

Old May 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clothing for summer touring

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find the link, so I'm starting over. Are shorts (Bermuda, not very short) acceptable for touring, or will they make us even more obviously "touristas"? I plan to wear sneakers, because otherwise I will probably break my neck on the cobblestones I read about. Pants for evening, or a long skirt; any requirements for visiting the various churches in towns?
Thanks for any info you may have.
Marlynek
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM
jgg

You don't mention where in Europe you are going, but from your comments about churches and cobblestones, I'm guessing Italy. Bermuda shorts are actually very much in style and I wore them several times while we were in Italy last June. However, I must say that skirts kept me much cooler than the shorts. Pants or skirt for evening is fine. Churches will just require that you have your shoulders covered so bring a thin sweater or scarf that you can tie around your purse and then put over your shoulders when necessary.

I would suggest that most Italians will not be wearing sneakers with a skirt, and if you are worried about looking too "tourista" suggest you consider getting a slimmer athletic shoe such as diesel or puma - lots of cute styles out there these days!!
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Sneakers will mark you as a tourist - about the equivalent of a fanny pack. Europeans consider anything that can actually be worn for working out as too casual for regular street wear. They can dress informally, but their footwear will be snazzy sports shoes, i.e. nothing you'd work out in.

Major churches in Italy (and sometimes elsewhere) can be tricky, and perhaps a matter of who is guarding the door. In Milan's Duomo, basically any shorts did not pass muster in recent years (including some guys were entered a back door, and were esported to leave.) However, in Forence, anyone not appropiate was given a drape-like thing to cover up with.

BEst choice in my book for warm weather: a full-ish skirt that covers the knees is coolor than any shorts. Some kind of flat shoes with support(G-series Cole Haan; ballet flats with insoles; etc.)
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:56 PM

madameX wrote: "Sneakers will mark you as a tourist"

No, they won't. Neither will most types of casual clothing. Hawaiians shirts might give you away.

Many other things might, including such visual clues as wearing a fanny pack or (a real giveaway this) carrying a map or guidebook. But the big marker is the way you act, especially the way you look at things as if you are seeing them for the first time.

But who cares? What's wrong with being seen for what you are?
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:07 PM

I only mentioned the tourist thing because marlynek wanted to know what marks you as a tourist.

As my Parisian friends have said, sneakers are a dead giveaway. 'Same with shorts and fanny packs.

'By the way: there is nothing wrong with being known as a tourist; -- the natives generally like us and our money, and are friendly and polite uless you give them a rason not to be. Where we get into a bit of trouble is when we show a lack of consideration in presenting ourselves well in public places where atmosphere counts fo rsomething, e.g. their bistros, etc. Yo won't get tossed out, but even my U.S. restaurant friends prefer customers who don't look like they've been camping all day.

Yes, at a certain point, what do you care as long as you are comfortable? (This is an "all-about-me" attitude, particularly known to Americans.) More realistically and not so sarcastically, it's a matter of where you want to go, and whether it might be insulting to others.
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM

'Hit the wrong button --

'By the way: casual clothes are not the issue. Europeans often dress casually, However, there are refinements that mark a difference between casual and presentable, vs. sloppy and inapprorpiate in public.

A recent experience: a fabulous hotel in Positano. Everyone dressed nicely (in a range of causal styles) for lunch in the well-regarded dining terrace.

Down comes a couple who are barely dressed in T-shirts, sweatpants, and underwear. Clueless newlyweds, she with a cell phone. Against the law? no. Diminishing the lovely atmosphere! You bet, by the looks everyone was giving them. But probably self-centered and oblivious to hw they add to a social enviroment.
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM

tt
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:14 PM

You can wear whatever you want - most places - but certain things will not be what european adults will wear - and certain things will not be allowed.

In churches, out of respect, all grown people (by size not age - a 15 year old 6' footer can;t dress like a kid) cover knees, shoulders, bosom, midriff and upper arms - out of respect. This will be officially enforced in some places; in others you won;t be stopped if dressed inappropriately you may get nasty remarks from the locals.

Also - many upscale restaurants will not want you in shorts, tee shirts and sneakers - although dockers, polo shirts and casual walking shoes - and female equivalent - are fine for MOST restaurants. There are still some that want a jacket (but not suit and tie).

In europe adults don;t wear shorts (except newly fashionable city shorts - and they really need to be fashionable) except at resorts or doing something actually athletic. The same for athletic shoes - only for actuallly running etc. You can wear capris, skirts, pants, city shorts (if you have them) and fashion athletic shoes if you want to blend in more.

If you don;t want to blend in dress however you want.
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Sneakers are no longer a giveaway, however the ones they wear on days off work, are more like the Bensimon (shops in Paris and St Remy)
They are very simple, no way looking like jogging shoes, but I don't think they ar for serious hiking, walking. I wear mine for casual events.
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:38 PM

We are going to Italy in early June. What are men wearing? My husband plans to pack a couple of pairs of shorts along with his Dockers. We will be in Venice, Florence, Rome, & Sorrento. He knows he can't wear shorts in the churches, but says he wants to be comfortable while walking around, especially if its hot. We saw a lot of men wearing capris in Greece 2 yrs. ago. No way would he ever be caught in them!!
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:49 PM

My husband would never wear shorts in Europe, unless we were at a beach resort on the Riviera. Neither would I as I feel it is inappropriate.

Italians reserve them for beachwear, not city clothes.

I think capris are cute on the younger men personally.

Linen slacks and shirt are just as comfy and cool and look far more polished.
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I hate to be overdressed for the weather so yes I pack some nice looking longer length shorts for Europe in the summer time. I also pack sneakers and sandals. I prefer "capri" pants over long pants or skirts myself.

For churches cover your knees and shoulders.
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:21 PM

We saw a lot of men in capri pants in Germany. My husband, who wore long shorts and since he is pretty short himself so his shorts fall just below his knees, fit right in - LOL.
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Got rather more (or less) than I hoped for. I can't stand the look of linen after I've sat for a minute...major wrinkles just are a turn-off for me. Being rather (!) short, the "broom" skirts that are so popular just make me look shorter and "fluffy". Guess I'll try to find a pair or two of capri pants. Have nice tops, and plenty of stuff for evening-wear. I saw Puma "sneakers" which didn't look anything like my Sketchers or Nikes; guess that's the stuff you're describing...? My bermuda shorts are denim...guess they might be a bit too casual for some places. We'll be in Tuscany, visiting the smaller towns and a couple of wineries, basically just looking, tasting, and enjoying the countryside, although we do plan a couple of days in Florence, at the museums. Also we will be in Rada and Siena, and probably visit the churches there and in other towns.
You're right...we are, after all, tourists; just don't want to offend or appear rude.
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Oddly enough, the worst dressed people I've ever witnessed while traveling were europeans. We were staying in a very nice resort in the Seychelle Islands and there were younger French, German, Danish and Italian tourists everywhere. Granted, it was really warm and humid, but these guys almost looked dirty. I'm sure it must have been the "I'm so rich I wear shabby chic designer" look. Didn't bother me in the least, but sometimes I get bored with all this talk of how the europeans look down on the tacky Americans.
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White sneakers and gray permed hair combined with colourful pants. Dead giveaway.

Don't worry. It doesn't matter. We'll love you anyway.
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Puma style sneakers do not have the support like Nikes do. Maybe they look nicer, but they would never do for me for walking all day. Take your shorts, they're fine. Seriously
;-)
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Hi, We're leaving for Rome, Florence, Venice, etc. on Sunday. Woohoo! Regarding covering your shoulders in churches, will a short sleeve top work? Just no tanks?
Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM

short sleeve is OK just no shoulders showing
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:02 AM

We've been in Italy in 01, 03, and 05 during the VERY HOT summer months. We wore shorts during the day while we were out and about. When we went to dinner, we changed into slacks and a nice dress shirt. We were not the only ones in shorts and sneaks. Thousands of people were. I was a comfortable tourist in 100 degree weather. Not one person bothered me as the fashion police were either on vacation or they were following the tourists with fanny packs. Obviously you are a tourist,and will be no matter how hard you try to not look like one, so just accept it and wear what makes you comfortable, but for dinner change. But do stay away from the fanny packs.
dave