An Amazing Restaurant in Paris

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Amazing Restaurant in Paris

My husband and I will be taking out another couple for dinner as a thank you gift. We need a restaurant in Paris that will be a meal to remember with good french food, views, and atmosphere. I've searched like crazy but thought some tried and true favorites of others would help my search. Thank you!!!!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:37 AM

The view is going to be the sticking point here. If you can eliminate that, there are so many places that might suit. Places with great views AND great food are less in number.

When is this dinner taking place? And how much do you want to spend per person?
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

The dinner will be taking place on April 14th. For a group of 4 it would be nice if the bill was under 200 or close to it. I guess the view doesn't matter that much if everything else is superb!

THanks
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM

So 50 Euro per person. What about wine..would that be included? Do you all plan to drink wine?

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM
ira

Hi M,

>..a meal to remember with good french food, views, and atmosphere....for 50E pp<

Forget the view.

Lunch at Taillevent is only 70E pp.

Do you have a particular part of Paris in mind?

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:56 AM

I would strongly suggest that you make reservations at the fab rooftop "LES OMBRES" restaurant at the new Quai Branly museum, with its incomparable view of the Eiffel Tower lit up at night-the ceiling you feel like you are right under the Eiffel Tower, it's that close, plus you get to see the Quai Branly garden's lit up at night, with its purple green and white lights-very striking. You will have to make reservations, I think at least a couple of weeks in advance, as it is a hot table these days. The tasting menu runs at 90 Euro per person, unless the prices have gone up since this past September. We didn't have reservations, so we didn't get in, but my friend went after I left and said the food was very good. Check out their website-they have a revolving menu-but it's that view, with the sparkles going off around the Tower for about 5-10 minutes on the hour at night-that just makes the Parisian moment:

www.lesombres-restaurant.com/
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:57 AM

We loved Allard in the 6th, and our bill came to 125 Euros, including a bottle of wine. No view, though A restaurant with a view of the Eiffel Tower -- if you're sitting at the sidewalk tables -- is Au Bon Accueil. It's rated a 4.8 out of 5 on Fodor's, and Patricia Wells praises it as well. You also may want to check www.chowhound.com for recommendations.

Sandy
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Sorry, I didn't say that the 125 euro bill was for 2 of us at lunch.

Sandy
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 08:04 AM

A second vote for "Les Ombres" you can read a review of the meal we had with some parisian friend, her name is Anne. Follow the link to her food blog entry for March 06.

http://afoodiefroggy.canalblog.com/
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the review, Luc, that was good-and I can tell you for a fact that at night, this place truly is magical!
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Ira. Lunch at Taillevent only 70 euros? That's $90USD. Are you nuts?
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 08:59 AM

"We loved Allard in the 6th"

We liked Allard a lot, too, but I wouldn't recommend it for a special dinner. The food is good, but the restaurant was very crowded, noisy and generally unromantic on the night we went.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 09:05 AM

The poster wants to have dinner, not lunch. And wants to spend 50 Euro per person. So mention of Taillevent is kind of besides the point, whatever it costs!

Allard is ok...especially if you sit in the front room with the 'zinc" bar. But I would not recommend for a special dinner.

Here is an idea...michelecg: What do you think about a real "down home" place with great food and real Parisian flavor but which is not elegant in any way. Not stuffy and not formal, but with great service and food you will not forget?

If that appeals, I don't see how you can look further than Chez Denise. Closed on weekends, though.

You will find some details about my lunch there is this report from my trip last fall; scroll down until you get to Paris:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34894706
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Ekscrunchy, are there any fish or chicken dishes on the menus at Chez Denise?
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:27 AM

YES! I had the most amazing skate with capers. Truly one of the best fish dishes I have eaten in my life!

There were other fish dishes as well. Although meat shines here, the chef appears to be a well-known fish cook as well. I think I posted some of the menu items, with prices, in my trip report that I linked above.

They have very good house wines by the glass or carafe. Just make sure to reserve ahead. I loved Chez Denise. It is an old fashioned place, one of the last bastions of the market eateries that have been around since the old Les Halles food market was functioning. It is not fancy but by no means is it low-end. Great food, no nonsense. All around a wonderful Paris experience.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:25 AM
nbujic

a dinner in an amazing restaurant in most ( large) North American cities would be ( with drinks , wine , taxes and tip) close to a 100 dollars pp., if not more.

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM

I would agree with that. The problem here in the US is often the cost of the wine, not to mention any alcoholic drinks. Here is NYC, you have to figure at least $30 for the main course in many mid to high-end places.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Check out Cafe de l'Homme at the Trocadero, with a view of the Eiffel Tower. From their menu it looks like you might be able to make it fit your budget depending on your choice of starters and wine.

I haven't been but others here have enjoyed dinner there and it is on my list for the next trip.
http://www.lecafedelhomme.com/2%20Ca...ais%202005.htm
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Le Train Bleu, whereas not cutting edge cuisine, is a beautiful Belle Epoque restaurant, and I think the food is good. It would be an impressive place to take guests, IMO. www.le-train-bleu.com
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:39 AM

The exact link to "les Ombres" restaurant review is the following :
http://afoodiefroggy.canalblog.com/a...6/4222083.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -