Search

LapTop ??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LapTop ??

Good Morning!

I am going to have my LapTop while in Italy this summer. Do I need anything special (wires)?? I know I will need a plug to plug my american wires to Italian but I wasn't sure if I needed anything else. I have read were some people have fried there computers and I really can't do this.

Thanks!
Kimberley
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:31 AM
ira

Hi BG,

Is there a particular reason why you want to lug an expensive, fragile, easily stolen, extra piece of luggage?

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:37 AM
LN

Your very best bet is to leave your lap top HOME.

it is just additional luggage to lug around, get in the way, and to get stolen.

Have you been reading lately how many laps have been stolen?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Took my Dell on my last trip to Vienna and only used the plug adapter...no problems. I usually took it to the cafes that had wifi and ran with battery power,then charged it up at night by plugging in at my apt. Look at your plug cable and the transformer part, should list all the voltages it will run with.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:40 AM

PS: I did buy an insurance poilcy for it that covered theft or damage...cost around 90 bucks for a three month coverage deal.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:41 AM

Check if your laptop has Wi-Fi capability. If not, try to add a card for this function. Like Operaman posted, this is the best way to go online overseas.

Blackduff
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Unless you have a wi-fi capable PDA...
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Insurance company was:
http://www.safeware.com/
They got the best reviews for this type of coverage.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Would not an internet cafe work for you?

Otherwise, you need a 220V to 110VAC adaptor, unless your power supply is dual mode (check the label). The power systme in Europe (and elsewhere) is different than NA

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:49 AM
J62

The question of whether or not to bring a laptop to Europe gets hotly debated here on Fodors. I always bring mine, and am happy I do.

I've yet to see a laptop without a power supply that accepts INPUT 100-240V range, but be sure to check the label on your power cord/power supply. If it does, then all you need is a plug adaptor.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Acutally, to more specific. If your power supply is not 220V, you will need a transformer to convert the local voltage into the proper level for your laptop. You will also need an adaptor because the plugs are different there. So, buy both (Walmart sells them , other locations too) and you will be covered.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:54 AM
rex

I totally disagree with the implications of the message from ira. I suppose there was a time when a similar view might have been taken, with regard to traveling with a pocket watch in one's possession.

Your computer should - - if it is less than three (5? 8?) years old - - have a "brick" or power transformer which actually plugs into the wall, and it should list input voltage requirements - - most likely 100-240 v AC. If that is the case, then all you need is the plug adapter that you already mentioned.

Your laptop may or may not be the easiest way to actually connect to the internet (best if you use it regularly for wireless internet connection, and if you can determine places in your Italian destinations where wireless internet connectivity is available).

If not, then a cyber cafe is more convenient.

But a laptop still can be a best friend for writing, for storing or accessing all kinds of information, both pre-trip and during, picture storage and handling, and entertainment.

I wouldn't leave home without mine, to go to Europe, to the Caribbean, or virtually any other destination to which I am headed.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:54 AM
kr

Most of the hotels have WIFI If they have internet, they will also have a station in the lobby somewhere where you can plug in. Bring a cat 5 DSL wire with you about 6 feet long should do it.

Although the wires are usually provided.

Dont worry about frying the comp bring a plug adapter, they can be charged on either voltage.

Internet cafes have laptop stations where you can plug in.

For theft purposes remove any personal data, and make sure your passwords are cleared to all sites. Remove all cookies from your computer before you go they provide data if your laptop gets stolen.

And a good tip is if you want it for movies. Put the movies directly on the hard drive and desktop. A DVD burns more battery than a movie that is on your Hard drive.

Now the others here say you shouldnt bother bringing your laptop. Couldnt disagree with them more, but if you cannot afford to lose this thing like you said you are taking a chance.

I bring my laptop everytime I go to europe but it is a spare computer that I only use for travel so if it breaks or gets lifted I do not care.

Better back that thing up or buy a cheap dell laptop for 400 dollars and use that.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi!

Thanks for the advise. I am going to be in Italy for a month and I run a internet business. I don't need my computer to get on the internet but incase I need customer files or information. It is much easier then printing a lot of information and carrying files around with me. Plus it will be nice to have with me for the flight. I have a lot of work I could be doing on the flight so I wont have to do it while over in Italy.

Thanks!
Kimberley
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:37 AM

One really important thing that no one has mentioned has to do with voltage converters:

If your computer's AC adapter (power supply) isn't a dual-voltage type, <i>be very careful</i> about what kind of voltage converter you plug it into.

The only kind you should consider using is the <b>transformer</b> type. There's another kind, called a &quot;switching&quot; converter that can fry your AC adapter, laptop, or both.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:44 AM
rex

&lt;&lt; There's another kind, called a &quot;switching&quot; converter that can fry your AC adapter, laptop, or both.... &gt;&gt;

... and this is how common exactly? and how would one identify a switching coverter?

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:45 AM

I can't give you a &quot;commonality&quot; number. Franzus doesn't call the transformer type a &quot;converter,&quot; reserving that appellation for the switching type:

http://www.franzus.com/Merchant2/mer...&amp;Screen=UE

Bottom line: if you want to run electronics, buy a transformer. If you want to curl your hair, a converter is appropriate.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Check your airline's carry-on rules. A laptop counts as one of your personal items. Usually only two are allowed. Also back up frequently.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:14 AM
ira

Hi Kim,

Since you are bringing your laptop for business and are not planning to go online with it, look at the power supply to see that it says 110-240V.

If so, you only need a plug adapter.

Make sure that you leave backup discs of all important information at home.

Delete personal information that you wouldn't want stolen. (This includes your customer files, doesn't it?)

Don't expect that it will be safe from theft in your hotel room.

Have a nice visit.

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM

How nice that you are able to run your business from Italy! It's typical of this mb that, when you ask a concrete question, people will answer you with a conflicting personal value or principle.

You may want to upgrade your battery to run longer. It's a bit heavier, but more convenient in the long run and the weight wouldn't be an issue if you're just going to work on it in the hotel room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -