Favourite Chocolate & Ice Cream in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a chocoholic and sweet tooth in general. Can anyone provide suggestions for cafes, chocolatiers, chocolate bars, ice cream/gelati outlets or even chocolate factory tours in or around the following European destinations.

Switzerland (Zurich & Luzern)
Venice
Germany (Munich & Cologne)
Paris
London

I have heard Berthillon in Paris is highly recommended.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Berthillon has good ice cream and even better fruit sorbet. Here are two links about Paris you might enjoy: The first has details of chocolatiers in the city; the second is a more general overview of some transcendent pastry shops.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...p;hl=Chocolate

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=84371
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:48 AM
ira

Hi S,

Amorino has excellent chocolate gelato. http://www.amorino.fr

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 08:08 AM

We never miss a stop at Berthillon in Paris for ice cream (usually every day!), but also have enjoyed the ice cream at Daummann's Glacier, 1, rue des Grands Degres..also delicious. For chocolate, Maison du Chocolat is my favorite...but only for the moment..I must keep sampling..
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Paris: Second vote for Amorino -- great assortment of flavors and you can get two or three on one cone.

I had gelato from Amorino and ice cream from Berthillon. Both wonderful, but I think if I had to decide on one it would be Amorino.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Venice- The chocolate cake at Harry's American Bar is absolutely to die for. The whole place is way overpriced, but my mom and I thought it was worth every penny. Just close your eyes and order.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 04:35 PM

The chocolate ice cream at Berthillon was WONDERFUL.

On the Il Ste Louis (sp?)we went in a chocolate store called Cacao et Chocolat (sp? again). They had really good hot chocolate. I bought bars of dark chocolate and white chocolate both were EXCELLENT.

My husband came home from Barcelona with white and dark chocolate from Enric Rovira - also awesome chocolate.

At Whole Foods, I just found an really great dark chocolate, Michel Cluizel Conception (again, not sure this is the proper spelling), which is marked as a Product from France.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:26 AM

The Chocolate Bar at Harrods. My, my, my. . . It's on the 2nd floor, I think.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:50 AM

I spent a month as a high school student in Germany and discovered great chocolate. Since then all family, friends, colleagues traveling to Europe have to bring me back the following:
Toffifee (it is great, caramel toffee with nut in chocolate)
Mon Cheri (cherries in brandy in chocolate)
Ritter Sport the blue one
Milka (any flavour)
These are all commonly available slabs or boxes of chocolate.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:54 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Teuscher chocolates in Switzerland!!! Be sure to try the champagne truffles.

www.teuscher.com/

Lindt & Sprüngli is another fabulous place - there's a location in the Zurich airport I believe. You can also visit their factory in Kilchberg, but unless it's changed since I was there, it's not really a tour - just a museum and a film on the history of the company. Oh yeah, and lots of free samples.

There's also a chain of sweet shops throughtout Switzerland called Mercur (I think that's the name) they sell oodles of chocolate.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:58 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Make that Merkur -

www.merkur.ch/en/about.cfm
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 03:17 AM

London - L'artisan du chocolat in Lower Sloane Street and Marine Ices in Chalk Farm.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Excellent! I'll see if I can fit some of these places into my travels as I visit various cities.

Nuut: I loved Milka when I was in Germany too. They used to sell it in Australia, but now I can only find one type of bar. I also LOVE the Toffifee, which we can sometimes buy at Christmas only.

We have Lindt and Toblerone here, which is good as the standard Australian chocolate (Cadbury and Nestle) is not as milky or creamy as the European chocolates.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:56 AM
MaureenB

My standards must be too low-- I've never met a chocolate I didn't like! (Maybe I exaggerate, but just a little.)

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:27 AM

The chocolate, packaged under the Migros label in Switzerland, is remarkably good and very inexpensive.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:44 AM

In Paris we really liked Cacao et Chocolate and Jean Paul Hevin for chocolates, but there are tons of chocolate places and all of the ones that I sampled were wonderful. And I loved Berthillion as well!

Probably boring, but I was happy with the Cadbury vending machines in London! They seemed to be at every tube station, and we loved trying the different chocolate bars.

Tracy
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Bernachon chocolate in Lyon.
www.bernachon.com
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:43 AM

For ice cream, our favorite is the Spaghetti Eis at Dolomiti Eiscafe in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. I've heard you can get it in Munich too, but I don't know of a specific place to recommend. I suspect any true Eiscafe could make it just as well; the street vendors' version is, however, inferior.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM

bookmark (with the promise that I will post my two cents on Paris and Venice once I have visited them this summer).
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Migros for Switzerland; Alpia, Ritter (also available in US), or Milka in Germany

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -