Voltage Regulators For Cell Phone Use

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do cell phones ever need voltage regulators when charging in Europe?

I charged my phone in Europe easily with a plug adaptor. But on another post was asked if a voltage regulator was necessary for use when charging phones (dual band, not for use in the US).

We used the phone last year and our son is currently using it in Ireland with just the plug adaptor and the charger.

Is this the norm?

Thanks

Sherry
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:21 AM

alot of electronic equipment these days come with multi voltage chargers. I just purchased a digital camera about 6 weeks ago and the battery charger is rated between 110v and 240v !!
if your charger is rated at a specified voltage only, then you will need some device to alter the voltage!!
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:23 AM

It is best to call the manufacturer for more specifics of compatability!
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:57 AM

Any phone capable of being used in Europe, i.e. with GSM 900/1800 bands will surely have a multivoltage charger. To verify this, look on the body of the charger, and if it says 100-240V 50/60Hz it can be used without a voltage converter/transformer.
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:08 AM

Excellent advice from Heimdall, especially since many cell phones are manufactured for world-wide use.
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:43 AM

Unfortunately the unlocked GSM phone I just got over eBay came with a charger that is NOT multi voltage. The price of a cheap phone I guess. So today I must buy a new charger.
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Well, mine must be muti voltage. And as soon as our son returns it after his trip to Ireland, I am going to check it.

I never thought to look before and I guess I am lucky because it worked like a charm. It worked for him too.

Thanks.
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Barb. I also happen to have a voltage regulator that came in a kit with plug adaptors.
It wasn't very expensive. I did use it before when I took a heating pad to London with me (serious knee problems).

Except that the thing is kind of heavy, it came in a compact zippered case.

How did you even think to look at the Volts? It never entered my feeble mind.
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Before plugging that expensive electronic device into a voltage converter or transformer, you really need to know the difference between the two (don't ask for a voltage regulator, btw, that's not what they are called).

Rather than going into a long-winded explanation, let me refer you to http://kropla.com/electric.htm. Suffice it to say, if you plug your electronic device into a converter, it will probably be ruined.

Barb65, does that unlocked GSM phone have the 900 or 1800 bands that are used in Europe? It boggles my mind that anyone could sell a phone that can be used in Europe with a charger that only takes 120V electricity. You could also buy a travel transformer (see the Kropla link) and charge your phone through it.
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Heimdall thanks for all the advice and link. The phone box actually says it has quad bands - 850,900,1800,1900 but the phone itself just says the last 3 which is all I really expected.

It is pretty unbelievable to get something for travel that is usless when traveling! I sent an email to the eBay seller and he basically said - That is what it comes with, sorry.

So today I went to Target and bought a dual voltage charger for that phone for $13. Just makes me angry - my first eBay experience and probably my last. But overall still cheap - lets hope it works when we get places and actually buy a SIM card.

Sher, all the electric things I have and tend to travel with (hair curler, camcorder recharger, etc) have the dual voltage marked on them so it just automatically changes or you have to switch it with a little switch. So I am sure yours must do that too, you just never needed to think about it. Now you know but probably won't have to worry. I think this is an unusual case. I just wasn't sure if cell phones were different since this is all new to me.

Actually I feel pretty dumb making such a big deal out of it. I think getting the SIM card will be much more confusing.
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:19 AM

I, too, have a cell phone that came with a single-voltage charger. It's a Siemens A57 that I got brand new last September from Virgin Mobile.

Never assume anything. Check it yourself. And pay no heed to anyone who tells you what to do from the other end of an internet connection. There are trolls out there who deliberately give misleading advice, you know.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Probably a stupid question here...
but can my Motorola V180 cel phone
be charged in an Irish rental car using a
car charger? We are taking our DC converter to charge the electric razors, Ipods, camcorder etc. and we're hoping to charge everything while we're driving.

Thanks,

PT
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Robespierre, I agree one should check things out for oneself, and that's why I provided a reference. When you wrote "And pay no heed to anyone who tells you what to do from the other end of an internet connection", does that apply to your posts as well?
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM

If I told someone that using a particular converter with a particular device was safe without having inspected both of them:

yes.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Robespierre, read the Kropla reference, which I quote in part: "Converters are available to change line voltage from one amount to another. However, there are different types of converters for different types of appliances. Small electronics, razors and non-heating appliances can operate with a 50-watt converter. Heating appliances such as hair dryers, irons, coffee makers and other high-power electrical appliances need a 1600-watt converter."

When it says "50 watt converter" it is referring to a travel transformer. One such transformer is http://www.magellans.com/store/Phone...ersEA234?Args=. Using an electronic device with a solid state voltage converter (1600 watt type) can indeed ruin the device. There are many other references on the internet about converters and transformers if you care to look.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:41 PM

partyteacher...

If you have a car charger for the phone, you should be able to charge it in the car (I think most Irish cars rented are 12volt models) but I don't really know if it is a standard feature to have a cigarette lighter into which you can insert the car charger.

Several cell phone accessory shops sell a little do hickey (it cost me $5 and was dual voltage) which you can stick into the electrical mains (with an adapter plug if necessary) and use the car charger to charge items such as ipods, battery chargers and mobile phones...works great and cuts down on having to carry both a cigarette lighter adapter and an electrical mains adapter.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:52 PM

Now that is what I really needed - never heard of such a thing! I did get the car charger with the phone but who knows if we can use that in the rental car in Portugal.

Always amazing info here.
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Oh, and this is the type of converter which should not be used with electronic devices: http://www.magellans.com/store/Elect...orsEA260?Args=.
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:18 PM

If you follow this link:

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/acadforcarch.html

You will find the do hickey thing I'm talking about...while the specs here say 120V, the one I bought from them and I'm pretty sure the one you will get will be dual voltage (you certainly can't go wrong for $5.95 and this place is great for all mobile phone accessories at very low prices, although shipping is a little steep)....but this little device is fantastic even at home...I don't have to bring both a regular AC adaptor and a car adaptor for my ipoid, my battery charger, my mobile phone...I simply plus this in and just use the car charger!
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:39 PM

And for those who want a more detailed explantion of adapter plugs and converters transformers, read http://www.magellans.com/store/article/358?Args=.

Robespierrre, I hope that satisfies you I am not deliberately giving misleading advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -