Tips for Packing Light

Search

Tips for Packing Light

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for Packing Light

My husband and I will be touring Portugal for 15 days this May/June. I'm starting to think about what we should bring and what we should leave at home. For all those travel experts out there, can you please share with me your packing tips? Keep in mind that we will be moving around every few days (mostly by car) and, although I will try not to go crazy, I tend to buy a good bit of souvenirs (I'm sure some Portuguese pottery in this case). So, bottom line, we need to be able to easily haul around suitcases and have the capability to bring souvenirs back - perhaps in a spare duffle bag that I bring along?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:37 AM

Take less clothes, bring more money. Seriously, in our early travels my spouse and I found we overpacked and ended up not wearing everything we brought along. In the beginning it's hard to pack because you think "I'm going to need this or that" but in reality you can get by with a lot lees than you initially think. A few days before your trip, put out all your clothes - admire them for a day or so then put half of them back in the cloest or drwaer - you won't need them. Keep in mind, there's nothing wrong with wearing the same thing to dinner several nights - no one but you will notice what you are wearing - the waiter in the restaurant you eat at tonight won't know you are wearing the same outfit you had on last night. You don't need 15 shirts and 15 pairs of underware - plan on doing laundry once or twice during your trip. Most hotels have same day or next day service - yes, you pay a bit of a premium compared to back home for this service but it will save you plenty of space. Take small travel size toiletries and unless you are planning to go to the Palace Ball you won't need lots of make-up. You can buy a product that resembles large resealable sandwhich bags (sorry the brand name escapes me) where you put your clothing then squeeze out the air. The clothes are compressed allowing extra room. My spouse and I routinely travel for 7 to 15 days at a time and rarely bring anything thing more than one suitcase each - more often than not we do it with carry-on only. You have to get in the proper mindset. Good luck!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:55 AM

I believe Therese is the reigning queen of light packing. Here is the thread where she lays down the law of how to pack light. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34689133
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:35 AM

I know a lot of people don't like Rick Steves -- for whatever reason, but there is an entire file on the graffiti board dedicated to packing light. I got a lot of interesting tips from there.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:39 AM

On a recent US trip, we bought WAY too much, and ended up at a Walmart late on a rainy night looking for extra pieces of luggage. We actually found something quite useful: A full sized duffle bag in which the ends zip together so that when not in use, it takes up a bit less room than a Frisbee. (I think it was $9.95). We put our precious breakables into our harder-sided carryons, and filled the new duffle bags up with dirty clothes and checked them. You may want to bring along a couple of these types of bags for this purpose.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Consolidate purchases at a post office. Purchase parcel containers. Mail home! It is not easy to 'haul' excess baggage. Try an exercise at home; preload your trip gear, clothing, etc.; move it up and down the stairs, load the automobile, haul it through a supermarket...How about a weekend trip with the same luggage? Don't neglect security, you need to load everything into the car trunk. You shouldn't leave anything in the passenger compartment.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!

Keep them coming!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Zoe

Check out www.onebag.com
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM

We no longer check our bags, but use small, rolling backpacks, even for two week trips. I find that I don't ever wear the "dress up" clothes, so I bring only a nice sweater, both for layering and for those few occasions when I need to look nice. I wear my only pair of shoes - some people need two pair, but no more than that. I take one or two paperback books, and then when I am finished reading them, I just leave them in the hotel room or B & B for the next English-speaking tourist. We also have a fold-up duffel for hauling home our dirty clothes at the end of the trip - and use the suitcase for sourvenirs.
I buy clothes soap in big tablets (can't remember the brand) and stick the soap in odd corners. We usually find a laundromat at some point on the trip, but I don't know if you will easily find a laundromat in Portugal.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:08 AM

I have the same problem as Bailey. We will spend 9 days in Brittany, Normandy and the Loire Valley in B and B's. I don't know what to expect as far as drycleaning or laundering. I don't want to take 14 of everything (total 14 day trip). Advice for this area please?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Remember that clothes can be reworn, with either sink washing or just with some airing out (particularly pants; there's no reason not to wear a pair of pants several times while travelling).
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
One place you can really save space is with cosmetics and toiletries. Collect minature or sample sizes, or put your own into small plastic bottles, just enough to last the length of your trip. Don't bring full size anything. Get creative for anything your husband & you might be able to share.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:19 PM

bailey
We will be doing about the same trip at the same time. I hope to have a coin laundry in the hotel in Lisbon (but I never trust the descriptions) but many tour books tell where laundries are in some towns. That is always one of my searches in guide books. We have had some great laundramat experiences on our travels!

So you can bring fewer clothes and by the time you go home your carry on can be all souvenirs because you do not have the worry about checked luggage getting lost with your dirty clothes!

I also take some bubble wrap so my suitcase is fuller and then I have it for packing stuff I may carry home.

Maybe see you in Portugal! Or at least on the Things to Do thread.
Barbara
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:25 PM

I bring things that I can mix and match and wear with only black shoes. My DH only brings stuff that goes with his brown shoes. We usually only bring one extra pair of shoes and enough clothes for half the trip plus an extra shirt, underwear, and socks. We bring this bag with us:

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...Id=8&id=38

to ensure we have space for all our souvenirs. It packs up small when not in use and makes a great laundry bag. I only carry toiletries that are necessities (leave the hair products at home except for travel size shampoo and conditioner). Not only is it less of a hassle to pack lighter, but the more you leave at home, the less time you have to spend deciding what to wear and getting ready to go out (not as many toiletries to use).
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

All: Thanks so much for the wonderful tips!

Barb: I'll see you around the Things to do thread. Perhaps we can organize a dinner get-together. The recent restaurant reviews have peaked my interest!

Thans again!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Somehow I missed the Therese mentioned by youngandrestless. Thank you for bringing it up.

There are also many websites with packing lists. Do a google.com search for "packing list for europe" and you'll have a handful of good information.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Also, try to stick to one color palette, and bring neutral pants/skirts. For example, on my recent Italy trip I brought a non-wrinkling black skirt, one pair of semi-casual black pants, and a pair of jeans. I then just mixed-and-matched a few different shirts and was covered for two weeks.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:33 AM

One idea I have not tried but seen posted here is if you have a set of suitcases, pack the smaller one, and put it into the next size up for your trip over. Then you have an entire large empty suitcase for your purchases. Whether now having 2 suitcases to deal with in your rental car is a good idea, or not, I'm not sure, but it's a thought.

Also you can mail things home part way through you trip. I do not know Portugal but other places have gone to the post office, purchased a box from them, and packed it with dirty clothes, guidebooks I don't need, a few purchases and mailed it to myself, clearing way in my suitcase.

The folded duffle is also a fine idea. It ends up with your dirty clothes and the suitcase can be used for new purchases.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:35 AM

For something breakable and heavy, like the pottery you mention, I would see if the shop(s) you buy from offers shipping services, and pay for them send it directly home for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -