Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Clothing... How much did you take? How much did you buy??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone keeps telling me, if you are going to Italy, pack light and buy much of what you need to wear when you get there. Is this practical? What did you do?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM

It's good to pack as light as you can, but...

Shopping isn't fun for me. I don't like to shop on ordinary days, and I certainly don't want to use my precious vacation time shopping. I take what I need with me. It's not as if I have to carry my suitcase all the way to Europe and back--just every few days from hotel to car or cab/train then back to another hotel.

If you like to shop, go for it, but some of us don't enjoy it.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:48 PM

I'll add that I don't like the men's clothes I've seen in several European countries, so even if I did like to shop, I wouldn't in a number of countries.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:48 PM

It really depends on how long you are going for and at what time of the year. I went to Italy for 15 days in Spring a couple of years ago and I brought a big rolling suitcase. In retrospect, I brought way too much stuff. In comparison, I recently took a 14 day tour of France, Spain, and Portugal and brought only a duffel bag of clothing, and I thought this to be sufficient. The only reason I can see for packing lightly and buying everything would be if you are going to be travelling around a lot and don't want to be bothered with carrying heavy bags around. But think: if you buy what you need there, you are going to be spending time shopping that you could be spending visiting museums, sitting in cafes, and historical sights. In the end, its up to you, but I would think its more practical to bring what you need in the first plac
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Bring the basics, but pack lightly. If you really need something, buy it then. Then, anything you buy is all gravy!

Worst case scenario: you didn't pack it thinking you'll buy it and you either don't like the fabric or color or fit, think its too expensive, or don't have the time or energy to buy it.

now that's what you call a run-on sentence!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM

I use to pack very light so if for some reason I need clothes I don't have (unexpected weather, something broken,etc..), I have an excuse to go shopping But Erin said it, it takes time..and I prefer to spend it in sightseeing
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a hard enough time finding things I like when I'm at home and have lots of time. The last thing I want to do on vacation is go searching for particular items that I could/should have brought with me in the first place. Obviously, if unforeseen circumstances arise (weather, lost luggage, mishaps), you'll have to shop and may enjoy buying wearable "souvenirs."
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:13 PM

Actually, I consider shopping a part of learning about the culture of a place. I remember walking a mile to Tesco when I was in Bratislava in August 2002. The MASSIVE floods were hitting Central Europe, and the temps were like 45 F, so I needed some socks or pantyhose ASAP!! The whole thing was a big adventure, as I had NO idea what size I wore in Slovakian pantyhose! After an hour of browsing & asking for help from girls who spoke NO English, I made my purchase. Luckily they fit! I had such a fun time browsing around the store, and was very curious about brands, quality, availability, etc. I always love going shopping for toiletries & other items when I'm abroad. I consider it a lesson in living like a local. Plus, it really cuts down on the weight of my bag!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM

I like to shop for clothes in Europe. They have styles that are not so common here and alot of the time a whole season ahead of the US. I had such fun looking at the different styles in Rome last week and bought home some cute things, including shoes and patterned nylons.

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:12 PM

Hi SeaUrchin, I love to look through the clothing and shoes stores too. And isn't it great when one has already done all the "must sees" sites and sights from previous trips that one has time to do the fun things. My only problem is that generally the shoes in Italy don't fit me well although shoes from Italy exported here to the US are the shoes that fit me the best. So I am envious, LOL!!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Are you going to Rome? All the Romans do is shop. Streets and streets filled with people walking, shopping, buying gorgeous goods at dozens of boutiques. Soldes soldes soldes! If you like shopping, it's awesome. Italians live to shop, from what we saw.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:51 AM
bellastarr

I always pack light, and when in Rome, I always am sure to make a trip to one of those wonderful lingerie shops. I love to buy things in them because the experience is so complely different, it's very personalized, and you made made to feel that you have your own personal shopper...
I also like see what the color of the season is in Rome and try to find something in that color. And it's a great opportunity to practice the language.

I also like to buy cosmetics and toiletries in Italy, because I love to see them on the shelves at home-I have a whole supply of lotions and facial masques from the spas on Ischia, and a lineup of Italian nail polishes.

I think it depends on where you are traveling as to how practical it is. Shopping in Italy is fun, IMO.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

We are going to be in Rome for a few days. I heard that the shopping there is amazing. Any suggestions as to the best places to shop for womens/mens clothings and handbags... That is for those of us with some type of travel budget.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I pack light and don't go shopping!

Well I have bought a couple items if something unexpected happens (hotter or cooler weather than I prepared for). I hate to shop for clothes and it's the last thing I'd want to spend time doing while traveling/on vacation.

But if you like to shop, sure it's practical. Why not?
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:03 AM

One thing I have realized while traveling is that I will conform to whatever my situation is at the moment. So, if I only have 2 pairs of pants, 3 tops, and 2 weeks, that is what I will wear.

I do not purchase clothes unless they are exceptional: I have to look and feel really good in them. If I stand in front of the mirror and see the same old Claire, then they are going back on the racks. So, I can't depend on shopping to fill the void.

Overpacking is maddening, though. . . almost as much as shopping is. So, pack light and don't stress about quantity. No one will know if you go two days in a row, and as long as you smell good, you are in.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:12 AM

For me, it's inevitable. If I go some place with the idea that I need to buy something, I'll never find what I like/need/want or that fits right or is in the right color. But if I arrive with a suitcase full of clothes, I'll find a ton of clothes.

I've long ago figured out I simply do not enjoy shopping for clothes while on vacation anywhere. I may pick up an item that catches my eye, but normally I take what I need and spend my time on vacation sightseeing or relaxing.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:05 AM

I like shopping, but only when I am not searching for a particular item that I need immediately. In order for shopping to be a fun vacation activity, I need to have brought everything necessary for the trip with me; otherwise it is too stressful, especially in a strange city where it is difficult to ask questions and you don't know a lot about the shops. I pack everything I will want to have (without worrying exceptionally much about packing light--if I go home with some things unworn, that doesn't bother me much) and then shop for pleasure, knowing it's okay if I don't find anything.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM

I love to make a brief shopping foray or two while traveling, especially in Europe. It is indeed part of the cultural experience, whether buying personal care products at the wonderful pharnacies or buying a sweater/scarf which remains a nice memento of the travels. I pack light and allow room for purchases, but I do bring all the essentials I must have in case I don't find what I need.

And I love how beautifully the purchases are packaged, i.e., in Venice, with the lovely paper!

If nothing else, try Rinascente in Rome.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:17 AM

I vote with Suze above... it is an effort to get me to clothing stores HERE, much less on vacation. But there are circumstances...
I can pack light...black slacks and a skirt and multi-use tops. Who is going to see me twice? (as if I care anyway)
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:17 AM

OOOPS...how much do I buy? Only things that I can wear to work and for play anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -