Honeymoon in Tuscany - need your help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm honeymooning in Tuscany in early June and I was hoping to get some advice on great places to stay in the area. I posted before but I think my post was a bit vague.

Sorry for the long post - below are details about what I'd like to find. Your help is GREATLY appreciated as I'd like this to be the trip of a lifetime for us!

We are looking to stay in Tuscany so that we can relax, enjoy food, each others company and the beautiful scenery. I'd love to stay somewhere that is within walking distance to a town that has a lot of nice places to check out and some nice places to eat and drink. I'm pretty sure we are going to rent a car, but if you think it isn't necessary (like if we stayed in a town with a lot of options for transportation) I am curious to hear your input. I'd like the cost to be reasonable (preferable not more than 200 EUR a night) but the room and hotel/villa to be nice. Does anyone have any suggestions on great romantic places to stay in Tuscany? Thank you.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:40 AM
ira

Hi J,

Have you entered <Tuscany> in the "search this forum" box or looked it up under "destinations"?

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:48 AM

Hello Jenny, I have a daughter with the same name and I am always willing to help with honeymoons. You need to reserve soon for the best places. Here are some I like--a car is suggested:
Frances Lodge---close to Siena
Palazzo del Capitano---in San Quirico, a cute village in the best of south Tuscany
Vecchia Oliviera---nice place in Montalcino
There are many others, but you did ask for walking distance to a town.

GOOD LUCK !
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! I have searched under Tuscany, but there's so much information its hard for me to comprehend. I've read the travel books, searched site, I'm so overwhelmed. I've never been outside of the US and I don't really know what to expect from this trip. I just want it to be perfect.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM

This villa is just outside Montepulciano:

http://www.intuscany.net/hotels/villa_cicolina.htm

It also has its own Web site:

www.villacicolina.it

And it has a wonderful review on www.slowtrav.com. (Click on "Search", put in the name, and the review will come up.

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:14 AM

If you would like to be near Florence and be able to get back and forth by public transport, you can be anywhere on Route 222 ("the chiantigiana&quot which is serviced by comfortable SITA buses. However, to be able to walk to places to eat and drink, the best centre is Greve in Chianti. There are many beautiful places to stay within walking distance of the town and the SITA stops. Euro 200 per night would buy you a fabulous room or suite (e.g. www.villabordoni.com) but for honeymooners there are truly lovely places for 70-80 Euros a night for two - self-catering apartments with great views, swimming pool etc. Look at the offerings on www.greve-in-chianti.com, especially the place the describe near the "castello" of Montefioralle.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:01 PM

We'll be staying here:

San Gimignano: Antico Posso www.anticopozzo.com

Cortona: Villa Marsili Hotel http://www.villamarsili.net/eng/index.html

You can check traveler's reviews on TripAdvisor

Congratulations!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM

ooops - sorry for fogetting to spell check... it's Antico Pozzo, of course.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:07 AM

The perfect place for honeymooners is Locanda dell'Amorosa in Sinalunga. (Even the name says it) or others on my itineraries page .
www.elegantetruria.com
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 10:51 AM

http://www.relaisilcanalicchio.it

So romantic, you would not believe the views. This is a very unique place. The rooms are so charming and the pool seems to hang off a cliff. But you would need a car. It is not in a town, per se. The places I know that are in towns that are of this caliber are almost twice the price. For instance there is a great Relais & Chateaux place outside of San Gimiginano. I would recommend a car anyway so you would not be dependent on bus schedules. Come and go as you please and as the wind blows.

And from here you can go to towns in either Tuscany or Umbria. Not far from Orvieto, Sienna, and so on.

Have you looked at the Michelin guide?