Timing museum visits in Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two days in Florence. We will be driving into Florence on a Monday. Probably arriving about 10:00 a.m. We will have all that day and Tuesday until we have to leave to drive back to Le Marche region. Probably leave about 4:00 p.m. and stop for dinner somewhere along the way. Questions: What are your suggestions for our Monday itinerary? I see that the Museo dell Opera is open on Monday.
Although I'm ready to ask our hotel (Casci) to make reservations for Ufizzi and Academia, what would be your suggested schedule for those on Tuesday?
Should we visit Pitti Palace? And if so, do we need reservations?
I'm looking at an itinerary that Ira posted in January 2005 for a one day visit, and so I just need to fill in a few more things.
Thanks,
Vera
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:38 AM
ira

Hi Vera,

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations

The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Do the Accademia in the morning. You can see David in under an hour.

Allow about 2 hr for the Uffizi, unless you are very interested in Renaissance art.

Also check out the Bargello.

Pitti was almost empty when we were there in Sept, 2003.

Have a nice visit.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ira. I know you always recommend the phone call. Is there an advantage to that over having the hotel make the reservation?
And how about Monday. Besides the Duomo and Museo dell Opera (in the Duomo?) What should be tops on our list? Are there some places we could visit after dinner? (We tend to dine unfashionably early--6:00 or 6:30)

Vera
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:49 PM

I actually just booked the Uffizi, the Accademia, the Bargello, the Medici chapel, and the Pitti Palace with the gardens at 12 am this morning. I was nervous because there's no monetary deposit. But for 5 people and that many museums, I saved about 250 euro! I did have trouble deciding on times. Does 3 hours in the Uffuzi, and 2 hours in the main Pitti museum seem like enough?
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
ira

Hi J,

Unless you are very interested in Renaissance paintings, 3 hr in the Uffizi is more than enough.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Does anyone know if I reserve 5 tickets with the firenze museum number, but use less than I ordered, will I still have to purchase them all? My kids are balking at all the museums I reserved, but I certainly don't want to miss a chance to see all the places I want to see. They are 20, 18 and 16, so old enough to do some sightseeing on their own if I go without them.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:36 PM

Pitti palace; same experience as Ira a year ago; both the palace and the garden were almost empty. I just walked in around 10am. The garden was a disappointment, not maintained well.

I arrived at Bargello about 30min after opening, again, no line; walked up to the ticket counter without reservation and started the tour.

Uffizi and Accademia reservations were IMPERATIVE. Uffizi had what seemed to be a 2 hr line even before the opening.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 04:11 AM
ira

Hi Joycefnp
>..if I reserve 5 tickets with the firenze museum number, but use less than I ordered, will I still have to purchase them all? <

No. You go to the ticket counter, give them your name and get your tickets. If you don't use the reservation, you are not charged.