Search

Rome Tours

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Tours

Hi I am reposting this because I posted accidently in the United States forum. I am getting ready to book some tours in Rome and got great feedback about Context Tours and Scavi Tours. Which selection of tours would you recommend? Scavi has a few selections to choose from. Is the Vatican Gardens worth it in the end of February/beginning of March? There seems to be several Vatican tour variations I can choose from. Which Context tours were in your opinion the best? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Regards, Lisa
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM

We booked a Scavi tour, Context Rome tours of the Vatican, Borghese Gallery and Underground Rome, all were excellent. We also booked with Through Eternity for the Colosseum which was an excellent bargain. We were there in November so the group was small (8) with Through Eternity.

We were in Rome for a week and still had to schedule two days with two tours, something I would strongly suggest not doing.

Whatever tour you use make sure they have all your hotel and contact numbers. We had a problem with one of the tours we booked (not with either of the above companies. Have a great trip. Deborah
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Dear Deborah, What did you see on your Scavi tour? The Context tour was on the Vatican? Did it include just some of the Vatican. There is the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Bascilica, Vatican Gardens, am i right?? I should take a tour of the Colosseum, the Borghese Gallery and Underground rome . What else am I missing?
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 02:21 PM

Do you really need a tour to go into a museum?

Borghese requires reservations but otherwise, you can go directly and because of reservations, there's no crazy queues like at the Vatican Museums.

Now tour operators offer "tours" of the Vaticans but as far as I can tell, the main draw would be to avoid the long line.

Yet you pay over double, typically around $50 or 50 euro for this tour.

If you get there around 8:30, about half an hour before it opens, the line isn't that bad. At least that was the case for me back in November.

I'd save the money for tours you otherwise can't do as easily, like maybe some coach to nearby areas so you don't have to figure out the trains or transport once you get off the train in a place like Naples.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 02:40 PM

If you book a guided Vatican tour through the Vatican musuem (it costs only a little bit more than admission--6Eur?), you don't have to wait in line.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Which tours of the Vatican would anyone recommend. There seems to be several combinations. Regards, Lisa
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Lisa, yes you can visit the Borghese without a guide but you are limited to two hours with any visit.

I am only being a little melodramatic when I say I fell in love with Bernini thanks to the tour with Context Rome of the Borghese. Keeping in mind that I prefer French Impressionism and do not care for most Italian art styles. I wanted to see what I was missing because so many rave on about works by Caravaggio and others. Well, I STILL don't enjoy most Italian art but what I discovered on the Borghese tour with Context Rome gave me an appreciation for Bernini which changed the way I viewed his work thereafter, in museums, churches and piazzas, throughout Rome. Guess I am MORE than a little melodramatic

My husband and I both thought the Vatican with Context was worth the money. Our decisions, our choices may not suit all, but I thought the resulting tour was the best way to spend our time. No time was wasted, not in line waiting to get in, helpful background information was given to us. We toured the Vatican museums, St. Peter's Basilica, Sistine Chapel.

We had to cut our time a bit short because we had to rush off to our Scavi tour, not a good plan. I spent alot of time deciding on what tour, with who and when.

My least favorite was Underground Rome but again that could be because it was the afternoon after 4 hours of touring the Colosseum with only 1/2 between and NO LUNCH. Pretty grim, right???

Just do a search here of tours for Rome and you will come up with lots of personal preferences. Have a great trip. Deborah
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Deborah, Thanks for your insight. What did you see with the Scavi tour? Thanks, Lisa
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:23 AM

The Scavi Tour is limited to the excavations (scavi) underneath St. Peters. Reservations are required (although we did see one woman get past the Vatican guards to the office and wrangle a spot due to a no-show). You specify in your request for reservation how many in your party, language needed, etc. The tour lasts about 1.5 hours, a guide walks you through the scavi, including necropolis of pre-Christian Rome (fascinating) to remains of St. Peter, coming up through chapels directly under papal altar in the basilica.

If you're interested in having the Scavi tour, be sure to get your request for a reservation in as soon as you can - it can sometimes take a while (months?) to get the reservation.

KC
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:48 AM

Lisa, I would not ever discourage anyone from a Scavi tour but so much of any tour is affected by the tour guide.

Our guide spoke English with such a heavy and nasal accent it was extremely difficult to understand what she was saying 90% of the time.

As a result I was very disappointed by the Scavi tour. The best part of the tour is that it ended by the burial place of Pope Paul II so we got to slip into the line. I certainly hope you have a much better Scavi tour. Deborah
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:08 AM

At the Vatican Museum, we took the highlight tour which was either 90 min or 2 hours. The guide had a microphone and we had earphones, so we could hear everything perfectly and ask questions even though there were a lot of people in our group (25?). Even our 11 and 14 year olds found it fascinating!

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:17 AM

In contrast to Deborah Ann, our tour guide was perfectly understandable and fascinating. But unless you're really interested in this tour, I wouldn't encourage trying to get a reservation. There are plenty of people who desperately want a ticket for Scavi, so there's no point taking up space from others wanting to have the experience.

KC
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:37 AM

KC, I was so looking forward to the Scavi tour because it was so highly regarded. I wonder if I had unreasonable expectations from the many glowing reports I had read on Fodor's. The religious significance was very important to us so I certainly wasn't expecting the problem we encountered. I would guess my experience is in the minority, lucky me Deborah
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 08:35 AM

Deborah -

Sorry for your bad experience. The Scavi tour was one of the highlights of our trip to Italy last fall. Maybe you could/should try again - if you're lucky enough to go to Rome again?

Ciao,

KC
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

I think I will definitely look into the Scavi Tour. Deborah, I am with you, I love the French Impressionism the best, but I marvel at the art I have seen in Italy. I am not a Catholic, so I am incredibly ignorant about most of the subject matter in the religious art. I just enjoy looking at it.

I went to Pompeii two years ago and used the English audio guide. I didn't like it at all. I found it dull and I got lost quickly. I think I should have taken a tour with a group. I just visited Venice and took the Secret Tour of the Dodges. It was so informative and I got to see the prison Casanova escaped from! I highly recommend it.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi again. My husband just called me (from Turino) and said a coworker did a Vatican Tour with a company called Eternal City Tours. Anyone have any experience with them? Also someone on Trip Advisor raved about a company called Through Eternity, which I think you used, Deborah. Any feedback on those? Thanks, Lisa
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM

We did our Ancient Rome tour with Icon Tours. They were great and very affordable! The tour lasted 1.5 hours longer than quoted, no additional charge. I could have stayed with our guide the rest of the day!
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 02:10 PM

we just returned from a week in Rome yesterday and used ICON Tours for the Vatican and were pleased.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Oldmyst -

We used Through Eternity Tours last September for an "Ancient Rome" (4 hours) and Vatican (4 hours) tours. It was excellent - our tour guide was Andrew (??? - check our trip report at fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?screen_name=knoxvillecouple&f id=2), and he was excellent. I think that Context Rome and Through Eternity probably have the highest ratings of tour companies on Fodors, but I'm sure others are very good as well.

KC
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:51 AM

I second that emotion regarding Icon Tours.

They were my heros last summer. They kept my 13 boy, who suffers with extreme ADD, totally captivated. We took their Coliseum and Vatican Tours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -