European Bed Mysteries

Search

European Bed Mysteries

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European Bed Mysteries

Could the Fodorite experts please enlighten the rest of us on bed options country by country?
We need a king or something equivalent to be comfortable and I want to make sure I’m communicating properly with hotels as I make reservations.

In the US we have 4 bed sizes:

twin 3 ft 3in X 6 ft 3 in
(.99m X 1.9m)

full or double 4 ft 6in X 6 ft 3in (1.37m X 1.9)

queen 5 ft 0 in X 6 ft 8 in
(1.52m X 2.3)

king 6 ft 0 in X 6 ft 8 in
(1.93m X 2.3m)

In Germany we noticed there were no king size beds but rather two twins pushed together under one headboard with two separate mattresses and two bottom sheets.

In Italy, they had beds they might have called "matrimonial" (not sure) that were not as big as Am kings(?) but seemed larger than Am queens- one mattress (not two as in Germany).

My sister reported a nightmare in France trying to get a large bed and ending up with two very narrow twins (much skinnier than American twins) apart in a room.

We’re planning a trip to Switzerland this summer and I’m in the process of emailing hotels. Could someone please tell me the terminology in both Swiss German and in High German for two twins pushed together (is this the largest option?). We would be miserable if we got stuck in a room with one double bed. What are they called so we can avoid them?

Other mysteries that have me stumped:
Why don’t European hotels have washcloths? Are they considered too personal? Like underwear?
We hosted some Austrian and German exchange students in our American home and I thought it was very odd that they brought their large bath towels from home!
What’s up with the towel fixation?

In Switzerland and Germany, how do you ask for a lightweight blanket (cotton or wool) if the weather is too hot for down? Does everyone in N Europe really sleep under down in the middle of the summer?
I love down too but only if the room is icy cold.

PS Many of you may already know this but I learned a new trick recently- you can type in google e.g. convert 100CHF to dollars (or measurements) and get an instant answer!

Thank you Fodorites!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:33 PM

And if I may piggy-back on this post, I have a mystery question too:

why is it some americans expect everything in Europe be like it is in USA?
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM
rex

<< Are they considered too personal? Like underwear? >>

Short answer: yes.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:36 PM

I don't know if it's a question of washcloths being too personal. I've been in four-star European hotels that do have washcloths. Maybe it's a budget and theft issue. In one instance, the regular room at the hotel had no washcloths, but the executive room did.

For the type of beds you want, I'd say that you want two beds. Chances are, these will be beds pushed together.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Actually, there is another bed in the US that I know of, and I know because my parents have it. It is called a "dual-king", and it is, in fact, the essence of 2 twins pushed together with one large boxspring (length is standard king size, I think).

We just returned from Paris, and our bed was similar to a dual king - there were indeed two separate mattresses, and they were pushed together with one large fitted sheet over them. I thought it was more than fine.

We didn't have washcloths in our room, but to be perfectly honest, I normally don't use them at home. I do use a scrub brush or sponge, but those are personal items.

FainaAgain~

LOL - because to be the amongst the youngest country in the world, we still oddly consider we invented most everything!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:58 PM

I found that the Springhill Suites by Marriott in Seattle has what looks like a king bed, but if you look carefully, you will see that it's the sort of "dual-king" that TBelle mentioned.

Obviously if something disastrous happens to one twin mattress, it's a lot less expensive to replace than if one part of a king mattress is wrecked for whatever reason. Also, it's easier to maneuver twin mattresses and furniture around in tiny European rooms than large -size furniture and bedding.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Isn't to re-use a washcloth is the same as to use a toothbrush somebody left behind? Oh, well, it's a European in me talking
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:14 PM

That's what people say, but given that many people moisten a corner of a towel and uses it in a washcloth-like fashion, why is it better to use a hotel's laundered towels than their washcloths? Is there logic involved?
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:26 PM

I don't know. Logic is not my strongest subject

Just get a 99c sponge and toss it before going home!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Doesn't the "washcloth" rationality go back to the "bidet" rationality? I mean, clean with water, not with towels or paper?
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Oh, Tbelle, this is not what I use the sponge for, repeatedly
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Most of the Accor properties we stay at in Europe provide washcloths (at least, all the Dorints and Sofitels we stay at do) and that's a European chain. And their rooms also come with "real" king size beds. The Hotel Basel (in Basel, CH) also provides both mattresses and genuine king beds.
But we don't mind two twin mattresses in one king frame--that's what we have at out apartment in Brussels and it's rather nice because we each get the exact firmness that we like.
It's very common to get two separate twin size duvets as well and look on the bright side--at least your partner can't hog the covers.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM

And no one has mentiond the mysterious lack of shower curtain in many places.

How are you to take a shower without wetting the entire bath - esp if it's with one of those movabele heads on a snake instead of a regular fixed shower?

(By the time I've showered, washed and condtioned my hair the walls may be running with water.)
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:42 PM

*giggles* FainaAgain~

I didn't mean that LITERALLY - I meant it "rationally". In other words, use the water to cleanse, not something else...
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM

I always bring a couple of colored washcloths when I travel in Europe. Once in England I brought a white cloth to a b&b where we were staying for a couple of nights, and the maid took it when she changed the linen.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>In the US we have 4 bed sizes</i>&quot;

Your whole premise is wrong. There are more than 4 sizes of US beds.

some US beds are: twin, twin extra long, 3/4, Full (often called double), Queen, King, California King (longer and narrower than a King), dual king.

So not a lot clearer than the different European options . . . . . .
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:25 PM

faina--- it appears you got the original question wrong: the poster is ASKING what to expect in case there are CHOICES. The anecdotal references are made, in my opinion, to reinforce the point you need to be informed as to the extent of differences.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

LOL nytraveler- I'd forgotten about the missing shower curtains- another mystery.
We need to install some hidden cameras and see what the Europeans do in there.

Maybe it's all in the positioning of the handheld sprayer- it takes years of practice.

How about the brown sand paper-like toilet paper? I'm all for recycling and organic but that stuff is in a &quot;whole 'nother&quot; category.

Europeans- you know we love you
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:55 PM

There is no standard bed sizes in Europe. YOur best bet would be to
ask for twin beds and hope they aren't
like cots.
For the washcloths, probably a sponge
would suffice. I sometimes buy some
packaged white, small towels from Costco
and cut each into 4 pieces, use them a couple of times and toss.
For the blankets, if nobody speaks
English, use sign language, charades,etc. It will get the job done.
Just go with the flow and enjoy.

couple of times and toss them,
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:37 PM

It would be most clear to ask the hotel if they offer beds that are 180 centimeters wide; that is the width of a king bed. (twins are 90 cm each).

You may have to resort to asking in your inquiry 'what is size of your largest bed?'

At home, we have two twins that are 'latched' together at the base, but the mattresses are made up separately. We are now conditioned to have separate covers, so it's easier for us - we just book 'twins'. A few times, espec. in Holland/Germany/Switzerland, we had the large bed but with separate duvets, so that was still comfortable for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -