Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome To Pompeii Daytrip Directions Also Herculaneum, Oplontis, Mt. Vesuvius, Villa Papyri

Rome To Pompeii Daytrip Directions Also Herculaneum, Oplontis, Mt. Vesuvius, Villa Papyri

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just going to top these directions for someone but they are gone? I know I posted them in the past. In 2 parts. Walter
A Rome to Pompeii daytrip takes ~3hrs using the fast trains (ES-EuroStar or IC-InterCity) *to Naples*. The R/T in Eurostar 2nd Class plus R/T Circumvesuviana costs ~49 euro in 2004. The cheaper Rome-Naples 'D' train plus Circumvesuvanana is ~24 euro R/T and takes ~55min longer.    NOTE: A local commuter train (Circumvesuviana or CV) takes you *from
Naples* to Pompeii, Herculaneum or Sorrento, it's website & timetable directions are listed below. It is a completely seperate company, so railpasses are not valid on it nor can you buy tickets in Rome for it.   You can find the timetables & fares for the Rome-Naples leg at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
  When you have brought-up the timetable and choose your train, you can get the Fare by clicking-on the 'Shopping Cart' icon under the BUY column. If you register with Trenitalia you can buy tickets online and pick them up at a 'Ticket Vending Machine'.      If not, buying your Rome-Naples tickets is still easy. You can do it the old-fashioned way by waiting in a long line at Termini (Rome's main train station), tickets sellers speak English usually. Or you can buy them thru a Travel Agency in Rome or in Termini for a small fee. Also thru the American Express Office near the Spanish Steps.   But the easiest way is from the 'Ticket Vending Machines' located thru-out Termini. They accept CC or cash and have an English option and are *very easy* to use, they walk you right thru the process.   Like anywhere else on public transport weekend travel can be a busy time, if possible plan this daytrip on Mon-Thur.  

You can go to either the Naples Centrale Train Station or the Piazza Garibaldi Train Station (which is basically just an underground metro stop [4 tracks] rather than a full-fledged train station) and just follow the signs to the Circumvesuviana (CV) train.   The Garibaldi & Centrale Train Station are really the same station, with Garibaldi located 2 levels underground and in front of the Centrale station.   If you arrive at CENTRALE: In front of Track 13 near the front doors is a wide staircase/escalator which goes down one level. At the bottom of the stairs bear left, you'll enter a hallway with the CV ticket windows on the left (Metro ticket booth & turnstiles on the right).
 If you arrive at GARIBALDI: You will go up 1 level and just before you get to the the bottom of that staircase/escalator mentioned above you'll turn right instead.
 After you purchase your CV tickets (tickets can also be purchased at newstands/tabacchi) continue down that (short) hallway and then on the left is a wide hallway with moving walkways to the CV ticket turnstiles.   There on the wall in front of you is the Departure Board that will post the *next* 8 arriving trains, you'll want the *Sorrento* train. There are 4 tracks, you'll *probably* want Track (Binario) 3 (I've stayed in Naples 4x and it has always left from BIN 3).   Half-way down each platform is another Departure Board and it will list the next arriving train's destination & time. It will flash a red 'In Partenza' just before it arrives and during boarding. The train's destination for you will be "Sorrento", this train runs ~every half-hour.    The train stops at Ercolano (Herculaneum) in ~17min and Pompeii in ~36min and Sorrento in ~66min.
 [Also between the CV ticket turnstiles and the platforms is a small Tourist Info Office. Pop-in if you are staying in the area for a few days. Perhaps look into the ArteCard and/or the Archeobus Tours (best way to get to Boscoreale and Stabia and other sites). Or if you have any transportation or ancient site questions.]  The stop you want is "Pompeii Scavi-Villa dei Misteri" or "Ercolano" for Herculaneum. Be aware that there are a few "Direttissimo" (fast CV trains) which skip alot of the smaller stops but will hit Ercolano, Pompeii and Sorrento in less time.
  [POMPEII] Exit the Pompeii Scavi CV Station turn right and walk 50m (I would buy water & snacks from the stalls along there if need be, there's also a restaurant) to the entrance which is set back alittle on the left.   [This is based on info that I have read from other posters, I've never used these guides. There are licensed guides with ID's outside the entrance that charge 35-40euro hour per tour, *not* per person, same price as for 1 person or for a small group of 5 max.]  The entrance is a small outdoor complex of bldgs containing the ticket windows (10e), ATM, gift & guidebook/map shop and an info booth. You might want to check at the info booth and see if they have any special sites open, there will be limited entry requiring a free ticket for a certain time (in '02 & '04 there were 3 limited access sites opened).   In the middle of this outdoor complex is a small round bldg that rents the audioguide tours. A CC or any type of photo ID is required for security.   It was my 4th visit to Pompeii and I'm a bit of a history buff, I thought the audioguide was very good. But you might want to have a guidebook with decent map though. I've read a few posts where people couldn't find some of the audioguide sites and I believe I might have had to check my other map also for 1 or 2 sites.  
 Also at the ticket turnstiles (not the ticket sales window) there is a secured "Luggage Storage" room on the right.  After you enter the site you come across the Forum, look to the left at the far end, that is the Temple of Jupiter and behind that temple is a building with a restaurant, snack bar, giftshop, and w.c.   If you wish [I highly recommend it] to visit the Villa dei Misteri in the NW corner of Pompeii, do so at the end of your visit. It's ~300 meters outside Pompeii's Walls and you would be just be backtracking along the same route if you returned to the main site.
  There is an 'exit only, not an entrance' at the Villa and it's ~500m to the same CV station you arrived at (there are also a few restaurants just outside the Villa and a w.c. on the right just before you exit).   HERCULANEUM: To visit Herculaneum (Ercolano CV station is halfway between Naples and Pompeii on the *same* CV train line-The stop will say "Ercolano" (NOT 'Ercolano Miglio d'oro') also some signs will read 'Ercolano-Scavi' on the platform), exit the station (only one-way out) into the *small* parking lot and the *only* street there (45deg to your right), takes you *right* to the Herculaneum entrance after a 5 min downhill walk towards the Bay of Naples. Impossible to get lost or miss you can see the entrance at the end of the street from just outside the parking lot. There is a unmanned 'Left Luggage' room directly across from the ticket window.
  Walk ~300m down the ramp. At the end is an audioguide rental booth (takes ~2hrs at a slow pace), w.c./bathrooms, a snackbar/cafe and a bookstore/giftshop.
  Just before you get to these bldgs on the left is a newer and better entrance. It is a tunnel-ramp cut thru the stone, you then enter the site from where Herculaneum's seashore once was.   The other entrance is a bridge to the right of those bldgs.  BUS TO MT. VESUVIUS: This is the same Circumvesuviana station as in the Herculaneum directions above.
  I've never taken this bus, I have a phobia about mountain roads esp with someone else driving.
  Exit the Ercolano Station into the small parking lot and walk over towards the right corner of the lot.
You will see a small white sign 'riservato bus-BUS VESUVIO' and a yellow outlined parking space for it. You buy the tickets from the bus driver [That is what the schedule at the Tourist Info Office said in Mar'04]. The only street out of the parking lot leads straight downhill to the Herculaneum entrance (~400m).
And ~50m down that street is a round-about intersection and 20m after that on the right is the tourist info office (green sign/gold letters 'UFFICIO TURISTICO'.
They will have the schedule printed-out on their desk. The bus schedule is on the official City of Ercolano website http://www.comune.ercolano.na.it/cme....asp?dwid=1133   Also you can walk the 70m to the 'Tourist Info Office' and look at their schedule on the desk.    Or call 081-5592582 that is the number listed on the *Italian* page of this official Mt. Vesuvius website www.guidevesuvio.it/information.html 
 Or if you are pressed for time the taxi drivers outside the station are always pitching this trip as tourists walk by. I assume negotiate and agree on a price.     Also I've heard that the taxi drivers sometimes claim that this bus doesn't run anymore to tourists waiting for the bus.
  A bus also leaves from Pompeii to Mt. Vesuvius but I don't know from where. If interested ask at either the Info Booth in the Naples Train Station or at Pompeii. 

TO VISIT THE NAPLES MUSEO ARCHEOLOGICO NAZIONALE www.cib.na.cnr.it/mann/museum/mann.html closed Tuesdays <<<Directly across from the CV ticket windows (mentioned above in the Naples train station) is the Metro ticketbooth and turnstiles. Go down to track 4, hop on the train and get off at the 1st stop (Piazza Cavour). When you exit the metro turn right on the *busy* street in front and walk (uphill) ~150m, you'll see a large 3 story building with pinkish bricks on the same side of the street, thats the museum.   With the new metro line recently opened, there is an exit/entrance right next to the museum but it is easier just to use the sidewalk rather than trying to find your way underground.  Also outside this metro stop (P. Cavour) is the bus stop for the 110 bus to Palazzo Reale di Capodimonte.
 A WARNING: In the Naples Train Station *Ignore* anyone who approaches. Do not accept help from *Anyone* even if they look (blue smock) or act like a train station employee. They will sometimes strongly intimidate you for money for something as simple as pointing to a ticket booth, etc.
Don't let anyone help you with your bags or find your train car and seat, those men are not train employees.
 It's best just not to acknowledge anyone when approached or even that you understand English, so no "No, Thank You's" .   And of course watch your bags and wallet in the station but also on the Circumvesuviana Platform and trains.
ALSO while waiting for your train in the Naples Centrale Station, in front of ~track 18 there is a glassed-in sitting room (quiet & secure) for ticketed passengers *only*.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

OPLONTIS-VILLA POPPEA: Is a beautiful and intact Roman Villa Between Pompeii & Herculaneum.   If you buy the combo 'Pompeii and Ercolano/Herculaneum' ticket for 18e this site is also included (along with Boscoreale and Stabia). This large intact suburban villa shouldn't be missed if you have time, it's only ~200m from the 'TORRE ANNUNZIATA' Circumvesuviana Station (brown signs on the platform will also say 'OPLONTI VILLA DI POPPEA') and very easy to find. It can be seen in an hour if you're in a rush.   It's the Circumvesuviana Station just before Pompeii Scavi if you're coming from Naples or just after if coming from Sorrento. It's on the Naples-Sorrento Line (Herculaneum/Ercolano & Pompeii) and also the 'Naples-Sarno via Poggiomarino' Line (which goes to Herculaneum/Ercolano but not Pompeii).  The wall paintings are fantastic as is the general overall site. Exit the Torre Annunziata Circumvesuvana Station and turn Left (the only choice is either left
or right). In ~70m the street ends in a "T", turn Right, in 40m cross the intersection and in ~90m the site and entrance will be on the Left (can't miss it).  Between that intersection and the site also on the left will be a Tourist Info Office (a blue sign/banner outside will say 'Oplonti.....something', again can't miss it, the man that runs this is very nice & helpful) you might want to pick-up a guidebook there as there are none at the site nor audioguides. The guidebook will say 'OPLONTIS The Villa Poppea' which can also be bought at other sites (Pompeii, Herculaneum, tourist shops, 5.20e).  It's believed that this villa belonged to the glamorous Poppea who was Nero's mistress who later became his 2nd wife.   In 65AD he kicked the pregnant Poppea in the stomach and she died. By this point Nero had aleady killed his mother and 1st wife! I've read that Poppea might have had a role (Nero's ear) in their deaths also.   There are 2 clues to this being Poppea's Villa. 1st an amphora was found in the villa's latrine with the inscription 'Secundo Poppaeae' meaning 'To Second (slave or freedman) of Poppea'.   Also this villa like Pompeii, Herculaneum and surrounding area was badly damaged in the 62AD earthquake and was being repaired. But for some reason work had stopped and was unfinished before the 79AD eruption. No one was living or working in the house when Vesuvius erupted. Was the restoration halted after Poppea was murdered in 65AD? Nero only had 4 yrs left in his reign and was consumed in building his Domus Aurea (Golden House) in Rome. After Nero's suicide there was a brief civil war and then Vespasian became Emperor thus ending the 'Julio-Claudian' Line, so the villa if Nero's property was probably confiscated? There has to be a logical reason restoration work stopped and this beautiful piece of real estate was abandoned for years? Besides the beautiful wall paintings, atriums, fountains, huge outdoor swimming pool etc. There is one small area that is rather unique.    Go to http://historichouses.simshost.com/page49.htm at the bottom of the page click-on 'home plan, and notes', then click-on the villa's floor plan.   See above the "8" and across the corridor in a room there is what looks like an upside-down U or |_|. That room is the w.c./toilet, see the short hallway going to the right then to another short hallway going up & down. The bottom of that hallway exits into that long left-right hallway between the number 5 and 8 and the top of that short up/down hall exits outside even though it looks like it is still inside the villa. That is where you might want to visit. Your visit will start in the upper left corner entrance and you will work your way thru the villa. When you get to the *large* outdoor swimming pool #7 on the rightside of the plan, you will see that long left/right hallway with stone benchs along the wall. Walk down it and just before it ends and after the benches there will be a couple of steps on the right that enters that short up/down hallway mentioned above.   Go into it and turn left and visit the w.c. The stone basin on the right is where the 'sponges on a stick' were kept in water. And if you didn't know, Roman toilets had a bench seat with a hole cutout in it where they sat but also a U-shaped cutout in the front connected to the hole they sat on. The sponge-stick was their toilet paper and inserted in the front, they were rinsed/cleaned in a small water channel at their feet. This water channel was feed with water from the overflow of the stone sponge-stick basin. In public w.c.'s the sponge-sticks were kept in a basin of brine (salt & water).
  The seats are gone, probably wooden, in the public w.c. they would be marble usually.
  But what is really unique is a men's urinal in this w.c. behind a wall. This is something I have never seen or heard of before. Plus it must be further proof that this villa was owned and commanded over by a woman .
  Ok go back out to the short up/down hall and turn left. On the left wall is an inscription covered in plexiglass.   This graffiti is in Greek written by Beryllos who was probably a slave and hoped not to be forgotten. It reads "Mnesthei Beryllos" translated "Be Beryllos remembered".
  The villa was empty though but perhaps he was fleeing and sought refuge in the villa. And that would be the safest place in the villa, narrow hall with small rooms nearby all with strong walls=strong roof. Roofs collapsed in Pompeii due to the weight of the pumice stones and ash killing many people.
  Also he would have been only a couple of meters from the open doorway to the outside if the ceiling started to go. And able to watch the Hell their Gods had unleashed upon them.   No bodies were found at the villa so perhaps he (and his group?, master, mistress, family?) decided to take their chances in trying to flee again. Who knows, maybe he made it!
***I recently found this better clickable website www.oplontis.1to1.org/clickplan2.html
The 'toilet' is #8 and the 'graffiti' is to the right of the toilet in that short up & down hallway (halfway between #8 and the #22 section to the right of it.

'VILLA OF THE PAPYRI' TOUR Anyone visiting Herculaneum on a weekend *only* might be interested in this special off-site tour of the 'Villa of the Papyri'.   For info about the Villa and the papyrus scrolls do a google search on "Villa of the Papyri" and 'Villa dei Papiri'. It's on Saturday & Sundays hourly from 0900-1200, 4 tours with 25 people and must be booked online or so it seems. Go to http://www.arethusa.net/w2d3/v3/view...o&struttura=VP (in Italian)   At the bottom of the page it will show a future date which I believe shows that they are fully booked up until that date. Ok now pick your Sat or Sun date after that date if possible. If you get a pop-up (I'm not sure what they are actually called) in Italian just click-on "OK" and continue. The next page will show the times and how many openings there are for each tour.
  Choose your time & # of persons (a limit of 3 possibly) and
click-on
the "+" sign.   
  On the next page choose the number of tickets (only 1, 2 or 3 are the available choices). Now on the right click-on "Clicca qui...". Fill-in the info on the next page, in Italian but easy to follow nome/name, via/address, CAP/zip-postal code, citta/city, provincia/state or county, pull-down your country and then telephone, fax & *EMAIL*.   
  Click-on the Conferma (Confirm) button and you should get an email response within seconds with your confirmation.    I took this tour on Saturday March 13, '04. Honestly it is a bit disappointing, as you see very little of the site but you do get into the site.   So if you plan to be in Herculaneum on a weekend, book it. It only takes a half-hour and it's entrance gate is only a stone's throw from inside the Herculaneum site.
You basically walk down into a long deep pit and then up a ramp. You see a single room on the Villa's 2nd floor and then up a ramp to view some rooms on the 3rd floor. Nothing special, some partial walls with floor mosaics although 1 is rather unique. You then walk back to the bottom of the pit and over to a small intact therme/bath. Which is nice because it actually has water in it , it's ground water seeping in. The site has pumps and large hoses pumping out the groundwater continuously. Then you walk over to another small group of outdoor rooms (mosaic floors) and a horse (skeleton) killed by the pyroclastic surge. They want you there 20mins before the tour. So just enter Herculaneum with everyone else thru the front entrance/ticket booth (of course you must buy a ticket and walk down the long ramp. At the bottom is a small but long bldg with a circular audioguide rental booth in front. You meet at the left end of this bldg, in the middle of the bldg is a bookstore and a snackbar at right end.
The Villa entrance is only ~40m from the meeting point. The tour is in Italian only and it is nice that the Italian gov't allows access to this site. But what you see is very limited and all outdoors. CIRCUMVESUVIANA TIMETABLES:
Try finding the *official* timetables/schedules yourself either on a google search or at www.vesuviana.it/
I've totally given up, they keep changing it!!! They used to be posted on www.circumvesuviana.it which makes alot of sense but they are no longer there.
  Then they were at www.vesuviana.it/ where you can find out all kinds of info about the Circumvesuviana Trains except that minor detail like the Schedules/Timetables!
  I've been posting these directions and adding to them and changing them for a few years. And I have always had to search out a new timetable URL once or twice a year for the schedules and then in a few months that link would either go dead or just not work.   So try it on your own and remember the schedules/timetables in Italian will be 'Orari'. Or use this unofficial timetable which is somewhat accurate www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm
The Circumvesuviana Station at the Naples train station is called 'NAPOLI Collegamento FS' (aka Napoli Garibaldi). For Pompeii you want the 'Pompeii (or Pompei) Scavi Villa Dei Misteri' station and for Herculaneum the 'Ercolano Scavi' station.  Remember these trains run basically every 30min, so you either make it or wait a half-hour at the most.
  You can also pick-up a timetable pamphlet at that Tourist Info Office I mentioned above between the Circumvesuviana ticket turnstiles and the Platforms.
NOTE: Today as I repost this, you can *again* find the timetables at
www.vesuviana.it/
Use Napoli Garibaldi and Pompei Scavi Villa Misteri. Set the Date and Time, then click-on CERCA (notice only one 'i' in Pompei.
  Also try this site www.campaniatrasporti.it
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:37 AM

I soent 4 hours in Pompeii last March. The town is much larger than I anticipated and confusing to navigate. I found a site map and audioguide, both available just inside the entrance, very helpful in getting around. The back of the map contains recommended itineraries based on the time you have available. I also took the train to see the Museo Archeologico Nazionale in Naples in midafternoon. The expresso/cappucino stand across the street from the entrance to Pompeii is great, if the site is opening late due to an unexpected staff meeting, as was the case the day I was there. The young proprietors are charming.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Topping for Emma and also to redo and make more clearer the last section of the directions.
Regards, Walter
<<CIRCUMVESUVIANA TIMETABLES:
The Circumvesuviana Station at the Naples Train Station was called NAPOLI COLLEGAMENTO FS But it is now called on the timetable websites NAPOLI GARIBALDI.
For Pompeii you want POMPEI SCAVI VILLA MISTERI and for Herculaneum ERCOLANO SCAVI.
  Use the above exact station names and these 2 websites for the timetables
www.vesuviana.it/ www.campaniatrasporti.it I don't know how up to date this timetable is kept but it will give you
an idea of the schedule www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm  Remember these trains run basically every 30min, so you either make it or wait a half-hour at the most.
  You can also pick-up a timetable pamphlet at that Tourist Info Office I mentioned above between the Circumvesuviana ticket turnstiles and the Platforms.
  The ticket turnstiles in Naples will automatically Validate (timestamp) your ticket but you must do it on your own (small yellow boxes) in the CV stations on your return to Naples.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the detailed info - I'm printing for our upcoming trip to Italy which includes a couple days in Naples for Pompeii and the city sights!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Oh my God- I got exhuasted just reading those instructions! Do yourself a favor and splurge on a car and driver from Rome for the day. WELL WORTH IT!! If you have 3 or 4 people it will cost you about $100 each and when you get to Pompeii you wil actually have some energy left to do the tour there.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

ttt and with a couple of additions. Regards, Walter

The Naples Centrale Train Station has 'left luggage' storage (signposted 'deposito bagagli') down the corridor from the last train track (#26 I believe).

I have read alot of posts in the past and recently where people have left their luggage at the Cafe in the Pompeii Scavi Circumvesuviana Station. This is an unofficial 'left luggage' where they just place in behind the counter or in the back room and of course a tip/payment would be expected when you pick-up your luggage.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 07:10 AM

I had no idea the villa of Oplontis was actually open to visitors. This is great info! Thanks, ParadiseLost.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Wow! Thanks for the info! Hopefully, this post won't go away this time so I can use it in the future.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to tack this recent post on about booking the limited access sites in Pompeii.

Casa degli Amorini Dorati' or 'House of the Flying Cupids'. Here's the link
http://www.ansa.it/main/notizie/awnp...6_1166456.html but Ansa's links go dead in a short period of time.
  So in the future if interested in his site go to google for info.
After a long renovation this house is opening on April 3, '06 but reservations are required.

The website is in Italian but it's fairly easy to get thru.
I booked a 'Villa of the Papyri' tour a couple of years back on that site and my directions here  
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34665492 which might help with the Italian words, just scroll down to the 'Villa Papyri' section.

You can book the 3 reserved sites at Pompeii thru this website.
You *could* also book them a couple of years ago at Pompeii's Info Booth (on the left as soon as you enter) but they went pretty fast when I was there. I got the last 'Suburban Baths' ticket well before 10am and this was in March.

Go to www.arethusa.net Click-on 'Scavi di Pompei'.
Bottom of Page click-on 'Prenotazioni'.
Then under 'Eventi a Pompei' choose your site and go thru the booking process.

'Casa del Menandro' is the 'House of the Menander'.

'Terme Suburbane' is the 'Suburban Baths'

'Casa degli Amorini dorati' is the'House of the Flying Cupids'.

The 'Suburban Baths' has the exotic frescos in the changing/locker room.
What is most interesting is, one depicts a Lesbian scene and it is the only Roman Lesbian fresco yet to be found.
I've always assumed it is number 4 (but of course listed as IIII ). It is faded and hard to make-out...bummer .
All the others are easy to deciper .
But I'll be damned if I know what number VII (male) is doing sitting on the bed alone reading? Regards, Walter
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Last Jan I believe they added a faster Eurostar (ES) service between Rome and Naples.

These special ES trains do this run in 1:27, roughly cutting 20+mins off the regular ES trains time.

So now if you take this faster ES train from Termini at 0725 you can be at Pompeii at 0946 so a 2:21 total journey.

On the www.trenitalia.com website these trains are ones doing Rome-Naples in 1:27. And under the 'Trains' column they are listed as a logo rather than initials (ES, IC, EN, etc).

You arrive at Napoli Centrale at 0852 and have enough time (18min) to get a ticket and be on the Circumvesuviana Platform for the 0910 train to Pompeii which arrives there at 0946.

I have the directions above for arriving at the Napoli Centrale Station and getting to the Circumvesuviana Platform.

But I would like to add this; As you go down those stairs in front of Track 13, at the bottom on the right is a Newstand. If there is no line/queue there by your tickets from him.
He will even understand (he deals with us tourists daily ) if you just hold-up your fingers for 2, 4, etc tickets and say "Pompeii" (of course add 'per favore' Please).
If not just go to the regular Circumvesuviana Ticket Windows.

These tickets are not from 'Point A to Point B' like Naples to Pompeii only. But are timed tickets that after validation can be used in Naples and the larger surrounding area within their time limit (I believe 60, 90, 120, etc minutes).

My point is, it's OK to buy 2 of these identical tickets for each person 'right then and there' for their roundtrip journey on the Circumvesuviana.

The Circumvesuviana turnstiles in Naples will auomatically validate your ticket but you must validate your own ticket at Pompeii before boarding the train back. Regards, Walter
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

MISSING YOUR TRAIN WITH RESERVED TICKETS

You can reserve/prebook your train tickets before you leave on www.trenitalia.com
You must register with them first and get a password.

This would only be for the 'Rome to Naples/Florence/Venice/etc'
type trains and not the Airport Train .

I believe you can book the Eurostar and InterCity trains up to 90 days before departure.

If you do reserve/prebook your tickets and miss your train (flight delays, lost luggage, etc) this very informative post by GAC about the new rules (2006) will come in *very* handy.

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...871#6321047871
OR http://tinyurl.com/o3hat
Regards, Walter
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the detailed information. I always get lost. But, I'll bring a print of your info with me for good luck.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Below is a post by Steve-James that lists the bus tour companies that do Rome-Pompeii daytrips.

I've been to Pompeii 4x on my own and once on a ContextRome.com tour (a freebie actually ).

But my 1st visit was on a bus tour from Rome which I don't even count.

It was my 1st visit to Rome and I wanted to go to Pompeii so I took a bustour thru American Express that used one of the companies listed below.

I was very disappointed as we only spent 2hrs actually in the site with a large slow moving herd.
So we only saw a small section of Pompeii.

It cost me roughly twice as much for the bustour vs going alone.

It took almost 14hrs with the Cameo factory stop, a *drive-thru* of Naples to pick-up & drop-off Capri bound passengers, an included lunch, 2hrs in Pompeii and then to an inlaid furniture factory in Sorrento.

Many people do like these type of bus tours but I just wanted to give my take on them. Regards, Walter
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Author: Steve_James
Date: 09/16/2006, 08:24 am
Hi Har - Pompeii is a full day-trip from Rome, whether by public transport or by tour bus.

There are several companies which run bus tours from Rome to Pompei
- Vastours, Appianline, Carrani, Greenline, American Express ...

VASTOURS (Tour 13)
http://www.romeguide.it/vastours/

CARRANI (Tour 13)
http://www.carrani.com/gb/viaggi/tour13.htm

APPIAN (Tour 14)
http://www.appianline.it/italy2004/fuldayro.htm

GREENLINE (Tour15)
http://www.romeguide.it/greenline/greenline_eng.htm

A common problem with these tours is that for most people they don't allow enough time at Pompei - usually only about 2 hours.

They usually include a cameo factory visit and lunch en route - and you don't get to Pompeii till after lunch.

Some also include a short 30 mins. stop in Sorrento before returning to Rome.
It's all a bit rushed IMO - and not cheap; most charge approx. €100

Alternatively you can do it rather more cheaply by public transport.

TRAIN
- If you go by TRAIN, with an early start you can be at Pompei by 10.00 or soon after.
Take the train from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale, then the Circumvesuviana train to POMPEI SCAVI.
For timetables see:
www.trenitalia.it (Rome-Naples trains)
www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm (Circumvesuviana)
[You could include Sorrento too - it's only 30 mins by train from Pompei].

BUS
- There are SHUTTLE BUSES from Rome in high season run by MAROZZI (approx. €29) and by ENJOY ROME (€45-55)
www.marozzivt.it/HomePage.htm
www.enjoyrome.com/shuttle_tour/pompeii.html

The MAROZZI Rome-Pompei-Sorrento shuttle service runs in summer, leaving Rome at 07.00(- deps. from outside Tiburtina station), arriving Pompei about 10.00.

The return Marozzi bus usually leaves Sorrento approx. 18.00 and Pompei approx. 18.45, arriving Rome about 21.30.

The ENJOY ROME Pompei shuttle returns to Rome earlier - for details see the above link.
Hope this helps ...
Steve
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:52 PM

ttt
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:54 AM

bookmarking
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 09:46 AM

bookmarking
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:07 AM

excellent directrions,

thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:50 AM

bookmarking

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -