What are your favorite churches in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will go to the Vatican, Santa Maria Maggiore, and St John Latteran. Beyond those, there are so many choices. If you had to pick two or three favorite churches in Rome, which are they? Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:47 PM

I would add Santa Maria in Trastevere to the ones you mentioned.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:32 AM

On my Jan. trip to Rome I visited 18 churches. My favorites were St.Paul outside the wall and Sopra Minerva near the Pantheon.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:38 AM

San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane (Borromini)
Sant'Andrea al Quirinale (Bernini)
-- These two are practically next to each other.

Santa Maria della Vittoria (Bernini sculpture of Saint Teresa)

Santa Sabina (on the Aventine; with the oldest (5th century) preserved wooden doors whose carvings include one of the earliest representations of the Crucifixion)

San Clemente (for its layers of history, including an altar of Mithras)
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:43 AM

Definitely the Santa Maria in Trastevere. On our last visit there, we were lucky enough to catch a "world orchestra" rehearsing there with a solo violinist from Hungary. It was one of the best experiences of our visit. The sounds echoing thru the church were so beautiful.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:38 AM
rex

You can read more about the "mother church" for the Jesuit order at http://www.italycyberguide.com/Geogr...2000/E128a.htm

Curiously enough, this web page mentions that "On the left is a bust of cardinal Roberto Bellarmine by G.L.Bernini" but does not mention that he is entombed there.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:01 AM

Two of my favorites that haven't been mentioned are San Pietro in Vincoli with its incredible statue of Moses by Michelangelo and Il Gesu with its elaborate Baroque interior and ceiling.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:01 AM
rex

<<Two of my favorites that haven't been mentioned... Il Gesu with its elaborate Baroque interior and ceiling.>>

Whoops! That IS Gesu, that I mentioned above (with the URL), seat of the Jesuits. I just failed to actually give the name (since it is on the webpage I cited).

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:46 AM

Hi shari_624,

St. Peter's shines above all others but these three are my favorite because they are small enough that they don't completely overwhelm the senses ( these were also mentioned by Eloise):

San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane
Sant'Andrea al Quirinale
Santa Maria della Vittoria

The three are also fairly close to each other.

Good luck,

==Mike

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:59 AM

1. san clemente

2. san stefano rotondo, little known but fascinating for its architecture and the huge frescoes of the martyrdoms of various saints.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:58 AM

Santa Maria sopra Minerva - because that is where I was EXACTLY 40 years after the moment of my birth. I spent that moment right next to St. Catherine of Siena. At least being 40 was better than being in her condition!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:39 AM

Not yet mentioned, and one that overwhelmed me is Santa Maria degli Angeli, designed by Michelangelo within the Baths of Diocletian. You get Roman history and Renaissance art / architecture in one visit, and the space is indescribably vast and beautiful. It's near Piazza Repubblica.

I also highly recommend San Clemente for its layers of history -- a fascinating trip back in time. It's not too far from San Pietro in Vincoli, which is also definitely worth a visit for the stunning Michelangelo statue.

S. Maria in Trastevere is beautiful, but unless you are already planning a visit to that area, and if your time is limited, you can see more churches closer together on the other side of the Tiber.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:55 AM

I suggest you at least poke your head into every church you might pass in your walks thoughout the city. It's not uncommon for some small, non-descript (from the outside) place to have have a stunning Raphael ceiling fresco or the like. You'll be surprised at what you'll discover when you do this.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:03 PM

San Clemente
Maria Sopra Minerva
St. Peter in Chains
St. John Lateran
Maria Maggiore
Maria degli Angeli

All of them drop dead beautiful. San Clemente was the most intriguing with its ancient underground rooms.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:13 PM

St. Peter's is the best, but if you're looking for a Protestant church to attend a service, St. Paul's-Within-the-Walls Episcopal is beautiful and friendly. Fantastic music, too.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:45 PM

I'm in agreement with all of the above, but I'll present one that hasn't been mentioned

San Pietro in Montorio: Church has a commanding view of Rome fom the Gianicolo (Jah NEE koe loe) hill, and was supposedly built on the site of Saint Peter's crucifixion. The reason I like the church is because in the adjoining courtyard of this church is the charming Il Tempietto, a miniature temple/church designed by Bramante. It can hold about 12 standing people. From San Pietro you can walk down the hill into the homeyTrastevere neighborhood, lots of pleasant strolling and places to eat.

I also loved San Luigi dei Francesi on via Santa Giovanna d'Arco because of the 3 magnificent Caravaggio paintings inside. The church is named after the St Louis who was a king of France, and the street it is on is named for Joan of Arc.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:50 PM

linking this to
Helpful Information Italy 2

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:54 PM

If you like mosaics, you have to see St Cosmos & Damian in the forum - the floor has been raised up from the original so you are actually closer to the apse than normal and so it looks even more spectacular

Joelle
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:05 PM

I am a church fiend, so I made an effort to duck in almost every one I chanced up in Rome, in addition to the ones I "planned" to see. Here's my list of favorites:

Obviously, the 4 basilicas

Santa Maria della Vittoria with the Bernini statue of St. Theresa in Ecstasy

Santa Maria in Trastavere

Santa Maria degli Angeli

San Pietro in Vincoli

And we also enjoyed visited Mamertine Prison where Peter and Paul were imprisoned (right next to The Forum)

San Clemente
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:03 PM

I would add Santa Croce in Gerusalemme with its Chapel of the Holy Relics (pieces of the True Cross, one of its nails, a fragment of the INRI inscription, two thorns, and others).

All of the churches already mentioned deserve visits.
If I had to narrow my choices, then I would pick the 4 major basilicas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -