Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How would I buy a pied-a-terre in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've googled "apartment for sale paris" and I'm going through the 50,900 hits one by one. Can anyone recommend a site like "realtor.com" where I can enter search criteria?

(My French is competent, but not fluent.)
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Have you tried:
http://democracyonline.org/Apartment...s-for-sale.php
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, that was the first one I tried. All their links are 404.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:24 PM

There's also the Centry 21 Paris Realty
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:26 PM

Have you tried an association of realtors? For example:

http://www.fnaim.fr/
http://www.orpi.com/
http://www.century21france.fr/
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:29 PM

If you've a trip scheduled to Paris soon, pick up some real estate publications/brochures that're available outside of real-estate sale offices. I did that when I was there in January.

I'd say that prices, on the surface, seem cheaper than NYC, but upon reflection, not really. I guess there's a wider range of apartments for sale in Paris, but for the best and central areas, expect to pay about 10,000 euros per square meter (note 1 square meter = 10.76 square feet).

On the other hand, the outlying arrondissements can be about half this.

This is just a rough assessment based on my cursory glance at real estate prices.

Though NYC prices are about the same now, for some reason Paris prices seem more reasonable -- I don't know why that is. They really aren't, especially if you convert the euros into dollars.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:29 PM

I'm on Adrian Leeds' email parlerparis...

and from today's letter I snatched and copied for you:

http://www.parlerparis.com/advertise.htm

I can sit there and read, criticize, pick at (coz as yet this is a far away dream of mine too), and fall in love with these places!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:33 PM

I left out the U! but she have a great list.
Suzie I'm on her list too.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:36 PM

Interesting. I took a look at that century 21 link -- perhaps the prices are cheaper than I thought.

You can buy a 25 m2 studio in 75008 for about 163 000 Euros.

I guess I should have said $10000 per square meter for the best area.

Also interesting -- after looking at NYC real estate websites (Corcoran, for example, which all sort listings in descending order for prices), it's nice to see a website that sorts with ascending order for prices. At least the prices look affordable for mere mortals.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:43 PM

I came across these people while looking at apartments for rent in Paris. Go to www.vrbo.com/15398 and read to the bottom of the page, where it says "Click here to own your own pied-a-terre in Paris."

I can't say that I know anything about this couple, but who knows, it might be of use to you.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:50 PM

If you google in English, you will get English-speaking owners and English web sites.

There are many French real estate web sites -- for Paris apts, I think www.pap.fr and www.seloger.com are pretty good. You can search by size, rooms, arrondisement, price, some things like that.

If you are serious, you might visit real estate agents in Paris as they seem to specialize in apartments in the neighborhood where they are located.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:54 PM

Forgot to add, but if you go over to www.slowtrav.com, I'm pretty certain someone has written an article on buying property in France. You might want to check that out, too.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:56 PM

Also checkout bonjourparis.com
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:17 PM

Robes: Try googling De Particulier à Particulier. Not only will you be able to search for what you want using a pretty good engine, but they have publications (in French, not sure about English) that explain in great detail all the nuances of purchasing French property.

And it's my article that's on SlowTrav, I believe. I had an article published in International Living after I purchased my home in France some years ago, and I put it up on SlowTrav. I'd be happy to email it to you, Robes, if you can't find it there.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:20 PM

www.alouer.com is a multirealtor listing service. You enter postcode (75006, for example, if you want a pad in the 6th), square meters, etc. This is not a site designed for xpats or nonFrench home buyers, so it has a good mix of properties, not just high end or overpriced stuff they can't flog to the locals.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:22 PM

You are living my dream! I've been investing money to build up a pot of cash so I can do just that.

I also am a subscriber to Adrian Leed's mail list. I'm fluent in french, so I have browsed other sites...
Here's one of hers...I don't know if it is only subscribers...try it without the stuff at the end.

http://www.frenchpropertyinsider.com...ribetofpi.html

http://www.franglo.com/classifieds/index.php

http://www.commealacampagne-immobili.../accueil_a.htm

I typed in google: paris immeubles anglais
which popped out the last one...

Mike
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:46 PM

StCirq, it's not your trip report I was thinking of on slowtrav, but David Ronis' report entitled "Overview of Purchasing Property in France." I couldn't find anything written by you on the subject. (If it's not on slowtrav, it ought to be!)
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:52 PM

one of the sites I mentioned www.pap.fr is "particulier a particulier", I believe.

If you were going to google in French, I think "immoblier" would be the term to use, or simply "appartements" with "ventes" and "paris"
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:40 PM

mermaid, I could've sworn it was on SlowTrav, but if it isn't, I'll put it up there. I'm pretty sure it's on Bonjour Paris, too.

I agree Robes should be googling for immobilier and not English terms unless he wants to fall into the special deals for expats pit.

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:49 AM

I dealt with an agent who is part of the FNAIM network when I bought my house in the Loire. I made initial contact with him by e-mail. It was a great experience. I think FNAIM is one of the largest realtor networks in France.

Look at properties that are available to and advertised for French buyers, not just foreigners. You'll get more for your money.

Many of the realtors out here in the provinces speak enough English to get the job done, and I imagine even more do in Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -