illegal picnic in Venice

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
illegal picnic in Venice

We're heading for a few days in Venice at the end of this month and I've been browsing through various tourist web sites. On one, amongst some rules and regulations it stated that you can be fined 50 euros for picnicing in the town! Is this really true, would we be fined for eating a slice of pizza or a sandwich on bench, whilst admiring the view?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:06 AM
P_M

You're kidding!! Thank God I wasn't busted, as I did commit this heinous crime....
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:07 AM

I think the law applies only to picnicing in inappropriate places..like on the steps of a church or on a monument.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

http://english.comune.venezia.it/turismo/faq.asp

In accordance with Art. 12, 23 and 28 of the Regulations of the Metropolitan Police of the City of Venice for the St.Mark’s area, you must not:
- lie down in public places
- sit or linger on the street to eat picnic lunches
- litter
- swim in the canals or in the st. mark's bay
- ride bicycles or other vehicles in the city
- perform unsafe or bothersome activities
- undress in public places
- walk about the city shirtless or in bathing suits.
Offenders will be fined 50 Euros.

I'll have to try hard not to be bothersome...
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 06:53 AM

Maria_H: As you have seen, the law is on the books. I do not think it is very stringently enforced, however.

And I would say, unfortunately not: 80% of visitors to Venice are day trippers who buy nothing more than a sandwich and a Coke in Venice and then leave their litter behind for the Venetians to clean up. Each individual resident of Venice has to foot the bill to clean up after (approximately) 263 visitors...
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:00 AM

since we virtually had no windows in our hotel room, we were forced to find another place to relax after walking around all day.

the solution was a tiny neighborhood dock on the grand canal...just around the corner from our hotel. every night we drank a bottle of prosecco and enjoyed the sunset. these were our favourite memories of venice.

enjoy venice, use common sense, be respectful and don't worry about the law you quote.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:36 AM

Lots of laws that are not enforced, thank goodness are in the books in lots of places

I'm hoping there might be a difference between having hoardes of day trippers munching sandwiches and leaving trash in the San Marco area, and having a discreet snack in a campo off the beaten track.

I had once gotten compiled info on places in Venice to have a picnic, I'm hoping it's still current:

Campo San Stefano, vaporetto Sant'Angelo. This Campo is huge, surrounded by cafes and restaurants, but you can sit by one of the old wells and picnic.

Campo Sant'Angelo. Perfect picnic spot, with several benches and tables that are even covered with a canopy for shade. There is a public toilet at one end of the campo, coin needed.

Rialto Bridge: Yes the area is packed with visitors. But if you go over the bridge from the San Marco side to the San Polo side (heading north), turn left at the bottom of the bridge, under the bridge on your left is a little recess with some stone walls to sit on. You will have a view of the Grand Canal.

Campiello di Angelo, junction of via Giuseppe Garibaldi and vle Giuseppe Garibaldi, vaporetto Arsenale. A little square with some shade and a few benches, food easily gotten from vendors on nearby via Garibaldi.

Campo Bandiera Moro, vaporetto Arsenale. Just in from the waterfront, tiny square frequented by locals. A handful of benches, buildings provide shade, and there a few old wells for ambiance. Food shops on nearby via Garibaldi.

Campo Santa Maria Formosa, vaporetto Rialto. Lovely large square with benches, some shade, and passing crowds to watch. There are a few cafes if you want to buy a beverage.

Campo dei Gesuiti, vaporetto Fondamenta Nuove. Some benches in this square, some tables, some shade. Also a drinking fountain and a canal on one side, plus a public toilet.

Campo Santa Maria Nova, vaporetto Rialto. Benches under trees, a corner cafe, some shops, some nearby food stores.

Campo SS Apostoli, vaporetto Ca d'Oro. Benches under trees, canalside setting, a café, a few shops. Perfect for a picnic.

Campo San Polo, vaporetto San Silvestro. Huge square, numerous benches under trees, some with tables. Good place to sit. Good ice cream on the square from Da Cici. Public toilet.

Campo San Rocco, vaporetto San Toma. Lots of shade outside, some steps to sit on. Several ice cream places and cafes.

Campo San Giacomo dell'Orio, vaporetto San Stae. Big and quiet campo, not many tourists, plenty of benches under trees. Stock up from nearby Calle Larga. Cafes on the campo.

Campo San Simeon Profeta, vaporetto Ferrovia (train station). From the station cross the big bridge by the vaporetto stop, take the third left and left again to a cul de sac which heads toward the Grand Canal. Several benches shaded by trees.

Giardino Papadopoli, vaporetto Ferrovia, open 8am to 5:30 pm. Take one of the bridges in front of the bus station and head toward the trees. There are pathways, benches, a children's playground, and you are also only a short walk to the train station (cross the bridge, turn right).

Campo Santa Margherita, vaporetto Ca'Rezzonico. Busy campo, several sets of benches, there is a market Monday through Saturday. A few tables, public bathroom, drinking fountain, cafes.

Campo Trovaso, vaporetto Zattere, near the gondola boatyard. A rare patch of green, benches, a quiet canal.

Fondamenta delle Zattere, vaporetto San Basilio Fine view of the Giudecca, benches and tables, public toilet.

Also, Campo San Vio, the only campo (I believe) that faces onto the Grand Canal. An English-speaking church can be found there (St George's, Anglican) and also a good glass shop.

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:39 AM
ira

Hi maria,

Several mothsagothere was a discussion about how all the tourists were making a big mess throughout Italy by leaving their leftover food and trash on the steps and in the streets.

Clean up after yourself. You won't be hasseled.

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:47 AM

elaine - Thank you for this valuable list!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:59 AM

My understanding is that they started enforcing the anti-littering law as a result of visitors sitting on the steps of churches and other sites, eating food and drink and leaving their garbage behind, creating a very messy situation.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:41 AM

Howard, you are correct in your understanding of the anti-littering laws in Italy.

Too many people were using church steps as restaurants, garbage dumps, sleeping places and in some cases bathrooms.

The government had to institute the law to stop those that had no respect for
civilized behavior.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:48 AM

A friend and I were scolded and made to get up when we sat down on St. Marks square with a gelato cone for just a few minutes (August 2002). We didn't receive a fine or anything, we were just told to get up. We had only sat down because we had a hard time holding our drink, guidebook, and gelato. We would never dream of littering (actually, I don't think we even had anything to litter with!). My impression was that it was more of an aesthetic thing - they didn't want people sitting on the ground.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:49 AM

Elaine. That IS an incredible piece of work. Man! Are you organized!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:26 AM

Two more ideas for you:

The Giardini Ex Reali across from the Molo has many benches, and the arbors provide shade in the heat. I have seen small groups picnicking there many times.

In front of San Giacomo di Rialto I've seen folks and eat their fresh fruit just purchased from the Rialto fruit vendors. They washed it in the fountain on the campo and sat down to eat.

Friends in Venice tell me that the police only began enforcing the law during that terrible heatwave a couple summers back, in both Venice and Florence.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM

glad the info was helpful

sorry about spelling of 'hordes'
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:03 PM

The jails of Venice aren't big enough to hold all the people who picnic!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies and useful information. I wouldn't dream of littering and despair of those who do. Hopefully I won't fall foul of any other obscure local laws!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 04:45 AM

With respect to all these rules, I should mention that jetskis are also frowned upon.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:58 AM

linked this to Helpful Information Italy