Search

additional source of info on Paris neighborhoods

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
additional source of info on Paris neighborhoods

Hi
I just read this tip in a magazine article and looked at the website.

www.chezvous.com is, as many know, an agency that offers apartments for rent in Paris (and other locations as well)

If at the bottom of their home page you click on About the Neighborhoods, you will find descriptions of popular areas in Paris, suggested shops and restaurants, etc.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 06:41 PM
dln

Good tip, Elaine. I recently checked out a book from the library called "Culture Shock / Paris at Your Door" by Frances Gendlin. It's geared towards people planning on moving to Paris from different countries, and it has an excellent chapter on all the different neighborhoods. Since it's not aimed towards enticing tourists but rather helping people choose neighborhoods which suit their needs, it's very frank and somewhat blunt! Consequently, for this tourist, I think it's a great source of information.

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Thank you, Elaine.

I've posted a link to this thread in the Paris Superthread.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 07:53 PM

elaine, you are such a good help in research!!
We have been online all night, looking through apartment rentals, we have decided we want to visit Paris in that way this year.
I have been going through VRBO and found a couple that will do nicely.
Now I will look through your site here and see if we are making a good choice!
We are looking for something in the 7th. I want a real neighborhood that would be the kind I would actually live in (<i>dreaming dreaming)</i>
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 08:35 PM

Scarlett, if we do not have dreams life has nothing.

This is good timing for you. Have fun!

May all our dreams come true in 2005!
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 09:13 PM

Judy-in-Calgary: I've been reading these boards for years, but I am stumped. What is the &quot;Paris Superthread&quot; and how do I access it? I can never read enough about Paris. Thanks.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 09:16 PM

marthag, JudyinCalagry can correct me if I am wrong but I believe their is a thread on this Europe Board titled &quot;Paris Superthread&quot;.

Type this title into the search box and I believe it will come up.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 09:56 PM

LoveItaly:I just took your suggestion and found the superthread. It is fantastic....I never knew of its existence. Thanks for directing me to it.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 10:23 PM

marthag, Oh, you are very welcome!!! I honestly was not sure if I knew what I was talking about to tell you the truth. But I sort of have a photographic memory and just early today I thought I saw that thread, or at least thought I did when you asked your question.

I have never been to France, much less Paris so I must pull this thread up and read it too. Enjoy, and Happy travels in 2005.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Here is a link to the Paris Superthread

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:06 AM

I am quite familiar with the 7th in Paris. I actually won an essay contest last year for another travel site writing about sights to see in the Rue Cler area. I used the prize money for my trip to Paris last November!

I've rented a studio in the 7th from someone on VRBO, one street over from Rue Cler that is absolutely charming and clean. It's quite large by Paris standards. I've also rented an apartment from the same landlord in the Latin Quarter which sleeps four-five, comfortably. It was palacial by Paris standards and the building is very nicely located and safe.

Below is the listing number for the apartments and you may also view all of his other rentals. His properties are very well cared for, clean, and convenient. He and his wife are very gracious and kind also:

Listing #18976

If you contact him, just tell him Diane in Atlanta says hello.

Good luck,

DD

Old Dec 31st, 2004, 12:26 AM

Diane (and Scarlett since she's looking for a place in the 7th Arr): The 7th Arr around Rue Cler is so very American and touristy - thanks (NOT) again to Rick Steves. I actually wanted to steer clear of the area when I was there in March. In fact, I was staying on Ave de la Bourdonnais (a few streets over from the Eiffel Tower) and would walk Rue Grenelle through to the 5th and 6th Arrs. The shops around the open market and the Leveque Hotel are so used to seeing Americans now that the prices were even a touch higher than in other neighborhoods of Paris. IMO, I think one can find equally charming neighborhoods throughout Paris that have not been &quot;discovered&quot; by Rick Steves.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 02:34 AM

Rue Cler itself is certainly not an undiscovered neighborhood!

But the area around is still, for my money, one of the best areas to stay in for many reasons. To name a few: quiet [yeah ... we're &quot;old f*rts&quot;], well run 2 star hotels [amazing when you consider how upscale the 'hood is], good restaurants, access to the Eiffel Tower, Invalides &amp; Rodin Museum. The line 8 metro connects easily to many sights, either directly or with one change [except the left bank!!! -- that drives me a bit nuts] Bus 82 takes you through the right bank to Montmartre, with a nice tour thrown in! Etc...
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 05:48 AM
ira

Thanks for the link, elaine.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 06:36 AM

Good morning on the last day of 2004
I have worried that rue Cler would create a huge touristy atmosphere in the 7th, but being such a large area, it would be no less touristy than the 6th where we usually stay.
I have looked at apts in the 16th that are huge and gorgeous but we are feeling that might be a bit too far out of the way. Any thoughts on that are welcome.
elaine, I used this chezvous site last night, late last night! and enjoyed it, thanks!
I think I have looked at that apt Diane, he might be one of the people I am waiting to hear from
A friend just returned yesterday, OO on Fodors, she seems to be still in the throes of her love affair with Paris
<i>Happy New Year !! </i>
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 07:03 AM

I like the 7th because, as someone said, it is quiet at night. For someone seeking an exciting night life it might be too quiet. We stayed there 2 years ago and it is cleaner and feels safer than some Paris neigborhoods, however, some days I heard more people speaking English than french on Rue Cler. So for our last visit we rented an apartemnt in the 2nd. We stayed near a lovely street market called Rue Monterguiel (sp) The area was a lot more lively and noisy. I did have some trouble sleeping a few times which has never happened in the 7th. Maybe we're getting to be old too
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 10:17 AM

Hi Scarlett, as you probably know, we always stay in the 16th and absolutely love it. But it's a large arrond and some parts of it are livelier than others. Anything near the Place Victor Hugo is a great choice. Off the rue de la Pompe, it's quieter. Along the boulevards/avenues at the western edge near the Bois de Boulogne, it's VERY quiet and there isn't as much in the way of cafes or restaurants. Can you give me an idea where in the 16th you're considering?
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 10:42 AM

Hi BTilke!!
We have sort of settled on two apts in the 16th.
One is right off of rue de Passy and the other is near the Place Victor Hugo. We reeeally wanted one near rue de la Pompe, on Ave Rodin, but he is booked for the month of March. But we will see about renting there next trip..
I can give you the numbers, you can look at them on VRBO..

Thanks for your comments
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 10:59 AM

They both look good. I'm not sure where exactly off the Place Victor Hugo that VH one is, but it sounds fine and has an extra half bath. If you stay there, please be sure to go down to the Place VH and order a the a la menthe fraiche at Scossa or a hotel chocolate at La Maison du Chocolat. If you walk down Ave. Raymond Poincare, you pass a few nice cafes and casual restaurants and it will take you right down to the Trocadeor for a perfect view of the Eiffel Tower. And if you pass by &quot;our&quot; hotel, the Sofitel Le Parc (with its gorgeous Belle Epoque facade), check out the new apartment building going up across the street...we'll take one
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 01:01 PM

We briefly considered an apt in that round high rise by the Eiffel Tower.
I prefer though, the smaller, more charming homes closer to the ground
But of course, I will visit La Maison du Chocolat!!
Now we are just waiting to hear from the owners~
elaine, again, thanks for this thread!