Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PARIS Hotel, which one? Jardins, Tourville, Littre or Relais du Louvre?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Unn

Hello everyone,
I was going to ask which hotel you all thought would be a good choice:
1) Hotel Littre - 7th
2) Hotel Relais du Louvre - 1st
3) Hotel Tourville - 7th
4) Hotel des Jardins du Luxembourg - ? 5th or 6th

But then I started reading previous posts and I got caught up in Paula's dilemma. Now I don't know where to stay. We're going in September so I have to make a decision quickly. We were in Paris several years ago ans stayed at the Hotel d'Aubusson, but their prices have gotten too high for us. The location was wonderful but I thought it might be nice to stay in a different area. We're middle aged and love to walk around and just look at the city, and sit in cafes and watch people, after we've been sightseeing. We don't need nightclubs or fancy restaurants, I just wonder if it will be too quiet near the Invalides.

I too am now confused, as I want this to be a special trip- I doubt we'll ever get back to Paris. We haven't been to Europe too many times and there are many more places we have to go to as well.

Help! and thank you very much.

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't stayed at any of the hotels on your list. The Littre-is in the 6th district. It's not in St. Germain but is closer to Montparnasse. Hotel des Jardins du Luxembourg is in the 6th district too.

From what I've read I'd choose #3-Relais du Louvre. It's in the 1st but very well-located to the river and you can walk to the 5th & 6th districts if you wanted to.

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:28 AM

AAAH.. now someone's talking! The Hotel Relais du Louvre is my absolute favorite 3* hotel in Paris! Utterly convenient to ANYWHERE in Paris (I walk a great deal), impeccable decor, charming staff, lovely breakfast brought to your room (which is very civilized to me...can be doing my hair or "whatnot" while I break my fast...rather than dashing out doors) Stay stay stay there..and then come back and expound on it! And, its NOT the MOST expensive 3* in the City
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:38 AM

SuzieC, just curious, I had checked with the Relais du Louvre and they required one night's deposit to be prepaid. Was that the same for you? Or maybe it's because I was asking for advance reservations?
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 11:45 AM

We've stayed at Relais du Louvre several times and loved it. I would agree with everything SuzieC said.
We only stopped staying there to experience some other areas and hotels, but will definitely return.
We never had to pay a deposit, but it's been two years since we last stayed with them.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:28 PM

great comments on the relais du louvre at www.tripadvisor.com
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:55 PM

I don't like the location of the LIttre, it's in a weird place that isn't that attractive (to me).

The Jardins du Luxembourg is in the 5th, not the 6th, it is east of bd St Michel.

I'd choose the Tourville or Relais du Louvre, probably. I've just read too many contradictory things about the Jardins du Luxembourg that it has never appealed to me that much. If I did stay in that area (and I like near the Pantheon), it would be a different hotel like Hotel du Pantheon or Hotel des Grands Hommes.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Unn

Thank you all for your votes of confidence for the Relais du Louvre. I received an e-mail from them with availability for a superior double room facing the inner courtyard. Will that be claustrophobic and dark? Does anyone know if those rooms are very small? Thanks again

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Regarding the deposit I don't understand why they said they'd charge one night on my credit card. I guess it's because the reservation was so far in advance.

In regards to room size, I believe the hotel is known to have pretty small rooms but that's more or less typical in Paris. Could be the superior would be a comfortable size though.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:12 AM

I passed the Relais du Louvre many times and wondered about it. Thanks for all the info on this thread.

Question, though. Is this area more expensive than others in Paris? Two different times we stopped for lunch at cafes in that area and the prices were horrible! (8 euro for a can of coke...I know, I know. But I was thirsty!).
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 11:54 AM

I think the area's hotel rates are average and not more expensive than in other areas. St. Germain seems to be much higher to me.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 02:13 PM

Unn, the superior double rooms facing the courtyard are fairly good sized. A smallish area with king/twin bed(s) and an area which wraps around the courtyard. That space has a desk/armoire area, chairs and bathroom. The lower floors might be darker but its not dismal. We've had the ground floor superior which is convenient for coming and going but does seem to get some metro rumble early am. It must be over a metro route as its very convenient to Pont Neuf and Rue de Rivoli.