favorite Rome restaurants??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am making my list of Rome restaurants to eat in, but could use a few more must trys. I am looking for great food at moderate prices. Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:45 AM

What neighborhood will you be in?
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:47 AM

cparris, I enjoyed a restaurant called Spirito di Vino in Trastevere. It is upscale dining, great food, GREAT service and nice ambiance. The owner explained everything on the menu, spent time talking with us without being intrusive and gave us a tour of his wine cellar after dinner. It was a very pleasant evening!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Al Pompiere in the Jewish Quarter, about 10 minute walk from Campo di Fiore (sp?).
We were there for lunch last week on a day trip from Florence. We even had the same waiter when we visited a-year-and-a-half ago. Traditional Roman dishes that didn't disappoint. Fried zuchinni blossoms stuffed with mozarella, crispy-fried artichoke hearts, grilled very fresh seabass (fish for the day), oxtail a la vaccinara, terrific pasta primi piattis.

Other than us and another couple, the restaurant had a few local families (children and grandma's) and a lot of business men in suits having luncheon meetings.

Very reasonable prices for very good quality and service. Including a half bottle of house wine and a couple of glasses of whites, around Euro 60 for 2 of us.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:26 AM

Just got back from Rome. We were staying near the Spanish Steps and ate at Trattoria Otello on Via del Croce three times. Tuesday night is Osso Bucco night. Friday nights they serve a wonderful ravioli with spinach. Prices are very reasonable. Ciao . . .
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:35 AM

Nino's Ristorante in the bottom of Spanish Steps area.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Nino's did look very good. Big pot of beans cooking in a huge glass pot in the front window. You must have reservations, though. It's packed every night and there are not a lot of tables.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:44 PM

A second for Spirito Divino in Trastevere. Great food, great owners, good wine selection, a lot of fun. 2 of us ate for 125E, including wine.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:51 PM

Another vote for Nino, which is fantastic! Another "homestyle" favorite of mine is La Bucca di Ripetta at 36 via di Ripetta near Piazza di Popolo. Very good food, excellent service, and quite reasonable prices.

Buon Giorno and Buon Appetito!
BC
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Last week I was in Rome and ate at "The Original Alfredo's" near the Spanish Steps. The fet. alfredo is a must try. Also it's best to make a reservation for dinner, it can get packed.

Give it a try!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions so far. We are staying in an apartment close to Piazza de Popolo but don't mind eating in other areas also. In fact I would like to eat in different areas!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 01:37 PM

I LOVED Piazza del Popolo! Does anyone remember the name of the outdoor cafe that looks out on the piazza? I know there were two, right across the street from one another. We sat there for a long time with the sun beaming on our faces. It was soooooo nice! You are sooooo lucky!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Iregeo: Canova?
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Sounds familiar. If you tell me the other one, I'll pick between the 2! Seriously, I'm remembering a black awning...
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 01:51 PM

I recommend MYOSOTIS. Address below
Via della Vaccarella 3/5, Piazza Navona, Italy
Phone: 06/6865554 Piazza Navona

I had the best sea bass. They had it in parchment paper and deboned in in front of us on a silver platter. When my husband and I ate there he had an appetizer with mozerella, tomatoes and basil and a bottle of wine plus our meal and it came out to $50; it was romantic too. We found the review in the Fodors Italy book and we were glad we tried because we ate there 2 more times. The place is a little hidden so check out a book from the library if you don't want to buy it so you can have a plan on how to get there.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Iregeo, could you be referring to "Dal Bolognese"? It's filled with a lot of "the beautiful people", and the food is okay, but the atmosphere, IMO, is actually much better if you're into people-watching and don't mind being watched yourself!

Cparris, another restaurant near Piazza di Popolo I enjoyed is La Margutta on via Margutta. It is vegetarian, but very chic, very inventive and good food!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Nope! It was definately Canova! I didn't eat there -- just enjoyed a glass of wine, people watching, the sun and that beautiful piazza! Ciao.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 03:25 PM

Our favorite meal was at Ditirambo, in Piazza della Cancellaria. We had no reservations but walked right on in to a packed house. Mostly locals--I got the sense that tourists hadn't really discovered the place yet. I think it has a website so you can check out the menu. Innovative pasta dishes; very homey atmosphere. I think the tab was around 80 euro for the two of us.

Had the most delicious fruit sorbets for dessert, and they serve yummy biscotti with your cafe.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 03:53 PM

I second Ditirambo and would add la Matricianella, via del Leone 4 (tel. 06-6832100), just about equidistant between the Spanish Steps and the Pantheon, west of the via del Corso -- superb fritto misto, both seafood and vegetables. And a great pizza place nearby is Il Leoncino, via del Leoncino 28, packed with locals rather than Americans. Also La Piazzetta, vicolo del Buon Consiglio 23a (tel.06- 6991640), near the Colosseum, very favorably reviewed several months ago in the New York Times.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:16 PM

The other cafe on Piazza di Popolo, next to Da Bolgonese, is Rosati. Great people watching. My favorite restaurants by neighborhood: Testaccio: Checchino dal 1887, Da Felice and Perilli; Trastevere: Lucia, Da Paris, Augusto; Campo di Fiore: Dar Pallaro, Filetarro di Santa Barbara, Ditirambo, Grappola di Oro; Peirluigi; Navona/Pantheon: Da Baffeto, Osteria da Ada e Alfredo, Cicca Bomba, Cul de Sac, Le Volte; Trevi Fountain: Piccolo di Arancia, Colline Emiliane; Spanish Steps: Buca di Ripetta, Fiascheteria Beltrame, Ciampini; Colosseum: Ulderico, Nerone; San Lorenzo: Tram Tram.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -