Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Psssst! I'll tell you my travel tips if you tell me yours.

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is from an old thread on US board that had great ideas on it:

Author: DebitNM ([email protected])
Date: 08/08/2006, 08:33 pm
OK, we all have our little travels things we do to make our trips easier. And we probably think the things we do are not all that unique. But chances are...you do something that others haven't thought of yet.

So, I thought maybe we could all share our helpful tips and secrets for easy and hopefully stress free travel.

Please post your tips and feel free to come back and add more!

I used to pack a suit case inside a suit case so that I would have a spare one for the trip home...especially handy for the purchases made along the way. Well with weight restrictions, this is no longer a good idea. So here are my tips:

#1 - I always pack a lightweight nylon duffle bag inside my suitcase. This serves 2 purposes -- it gives me a extra room on the trip home for either purchases or even for dirty laundry AND if my suit case weighs too much, I can shift things out of case and into duffle on the flight to destination.

#2 I use TSA approved locks on my suitcase that I check. These give me a bit of peace of mind as to the security of my things.

#3 I pack my clothes in ziplock bags....sorry, I just don't want TSA touching my lingerie etc.

#4 FOR THE BEACH -- I take a chamois/swimmer's towel with me. These are fake chamois called THE ABSORBER that are sold in auto section of WalMart or in car parts stores. They come in nice colors and are about 2' x 3' in size. I cut them in half and use one after shower to dry off {no need to worry about how fluffy and absorbent the hotel towels are } and the other is my beach towel. Simply rinse them out when done, squeeze out excess water and let them dry. If you have to pack before they are dry...just pop them in a ziplock bag. They cost around $8 each and they are great.

http://www.autobarn.net/miniabsorber.html

Here's the original thread

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34850365
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I always pack 1-3 molded plastic hangers in the bottom of my suitcase or one of the outer pockets. There's never enough hangers at a hotel plus these are great for wet bathing suits or doing a little hand wash in the hotel sink. I also take a 2-3 oz. bottle of woolite.

I don't bother to lock my luggage any more. I just don't put anything valuable in the checked bag & pack knowing full well it may be opened and inspected.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM

small flashlight
earplugs
corkscrew
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 01:14 PM
esm

For checked bags I make a two-sided tag; one side has home and the other the destination address.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM

I use a small multi-pocket plastic coupon holder for my papers, receipts, etc.

Each pocket has it's own subject:
Airline
Ground Transportation
Lodging
Food
Admissions
Souvenirs
Gifts

I label the left over pockets with the different cities that I'm visiting.

For the first group of pockets, I keep my confirmation emails, addresses and phone numbers, tickets, receipts, etc. Because I'm usually on a tight budget, I also include a sheet of blank paper in each category to track my expenses as I go - this is especially good for gifts, souvenirs and food because I can see how much I've spent on stuff that doesn't necessarily stay in mind.

In the destination pockets, I keep driving directions, lists of things to do, places to eat, etc.

At the front, I keep an automatic pencil and a small notebook to use as a quick journal. In the back, I slip my ATM cash withdrawal slips, etc.

As I go, I can compare what I've spent with what I've budgeted so I know if I've had "too much fun" too early on and need to cut down on dining or shopping, etc.

When I'm coming home, it is very easy to fill out my customs form - I just pull my souvenirs and gifts lists with the item and cost.

After I return home, I can easily watch my bank statements to make sure there are no unknown charges.

The best thing is that it is no bigger than a thick paperback and is easy to carry around as I go through the day.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 03:39 AM

I bring wire "dry cleaner" hangers with me and then just leave them at the hotel. Always have 2 clothes pins to keep the curtains closed. If traveling by car, I put all swimming related items in a separate duffel so if I am not going to use them I just leave them in the car. When traveling by plane, I put half DHs things and half of my things in each bag so if one bag gets lost we each have clothes to wear. I put underwear and socks in ziploc bags because when I don't they seem to "float" all around the suitcase.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 06:13 AM

I always leave a copy of my itinerary in all my pieces of luggage, and with each family member so we know where I'm going, and they know how to reach me.

I always pack an extra nylon bag that can be checked in, if needed.

And I always do what toedtoes does, but mine is a flat presentation folder with clear sheets, which I stick in my backpack.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:00 AM

I put a sheet of bubble wrap on the top of my clothes before closing the suit case. Great for packing breakables. If I don't use it, someone else in our group usually needs it.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:19 AM

I always try to take the first flight out (unless I'm trying to take the red-eye). It's the only way I've managed to avoid any serious hiccups/delays when flying.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

I do the same thing Katie, the only problem that usually impacts first of the day flights are cancellations from the night before so that there is no equipment available in the early AM. At least that is a problem at smaller airports, maybe not big ones.

I do the same thing with Dr. appointments, first one in the morning before they get backed up.

Deb
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:51 AM

I never pack pajamas; waste of space. I'll either sleep in tshirt and underwear or pack a light comfortable cotton dress that I can also sleep in.

I have everything I need for entertainment on the flight in a separate bag I can put underneath the seat in front of me.

I never shop for clothes for a trip. I try to get to my destination with a roomy suitcase with plans to shop during the trip and I return with my suitcase jam packed. I also bring the greatest light weight hand carry bag that I adore; it takes no room or weight and yet it can accommodate the extras upon return.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM

I always carry a 3x5" spiral flip notepad & pen to jot down addresses, prices, restaurants I like, hotels that look interesting, etc. for use on future trips &/or posting here on Fodor's.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 01:42 PM

* Pack Swimsuits in gallon zip lock bags. Then if you have to transport them wet, you are all set.
* Chewy fruit and nut bars and fruit leathers are a quick snack.
* Dryer sheets help with static cling issues.
* Shout wipes and wet wipes are good for quick clean ups.
* Also, I pack those the chamois micro fiber towels.

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM

I second the dryer sheets. A suit case can get pretty yuck smelling after 3 or more weeks. They seem to pick up the smells of the different hotel rooms, in addition to your clothes.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:55 AM

I pack inflatable hangers for laundry or to use as extra hanger space. a traveling clothesline is always in my luggage. Dental floss and semicircular needle for unexpected repairs.

I also have a copy of my credit cards, passport and tickets on a webmail account, as well as itinerary. In case needed can be retrieved in a second which was handy when I lost my passport in Ecuador.

Have stopped with the TSA locks since they were always missing when my bag arrived. I now have a strap with a combination lock.

Solid soap that doubles as a shampoo, this I bought in India. I believe a shop called Lush also has a similar product. Dove facial cleaners that I cut in half for the shower.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Thanks for all of the ideas. We will be traveling from Rome to Palermo in Oct. so any ideas on how to save money in lodging and food, please let us know. When we get back, I will share our experiences.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 01:25 PM

I always pack a least a few outfits in my travel companion's suitcase and vice versa - either my husbands or a girlfriend. When we get to our destination, we exchange back. This way, if your suitcase is lost, at least you have something to wear from the other suitcase.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Like ncounty, I stopped bringing pjs or a nightgown for travel too. I learned how to make everything for the trip suitable for double duty if necessary.

For bed, wear a t-shirt and shorts in the summer or yoga pants/t-shirt in the winter. If there’s a hotel emergency and you have to leave your room in a hurry, be sure you’re sleeping in something you wouldn’t mind being seen walking around the lobby in and you can wear it on the plane home if you can’t get your luggage.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM

I could do an ad for the Tide Pen. We spent a month in Italy and only took enough clothes for 6 days. It took all the chocolate gelato out of my sons' white t-shirts. Not sure but I may try the Clorox Bleach Pen this year.
If I want to have perfume, I put a small amount of perfumed body lotion in an empty contact lens case to avoid spilling the liquid perfume.
And of course, the zip-loc bag is the best invention EVER! I always pack several.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 08:57 AM

When planning a long trip (30 days or more) I go to my favorite thrift store and buy the tag sale items that are 99 cents on tue and sat. I get what I need for the climate that I will be traveling to, I pack one bag and on the last few days of the trip I give everything away. I still remember seeing a young girl( in Hanoi) riding her bike in the pouring rain wearing a rain coat and cap I had given the maid. I travel in 3rd world countrys 95% of the time and the people can use almost any kind of clothing .I then have an empty bag to bring treasures home.I usually spend 25.00 or lesswhen I do this, Dont sneer at the thrift shop aspect . I often find designer and good brand name clothing and accessorys and brand new things with the tags still on .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -