Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Bad US Airways flight experience - is this becoming normal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The flight to Scotland (JAX-PHL-MAN-GLA) was not much problem, in fact we even got in early on one flight (the last flight is BA, not USAIR). However, they lost 2 of our 4 bags, and mine didn't get delivered until 5 days into the vacation. Basically, no one cared - the airline said they gave it to the transfer agent (they only gave the paperwork, not the bag) and close the file, refused to return my calls. The transfer agent (Servisair) said they never received the bag (which they didn't) but wouldn't contact the airline itself about it until I finally got hold of one lady who cared.

On the way back the flights were all running late. These were GLA-LHR-PHL-JAX (again, the first leg was BA). When we got to the US Airways desk at LHR, we found out that half the passengers had been accidently put on Standby, so all had to be reassigned seats. The poor gate agents were frantic. We took off about 2 hours late, after sitting on the tarmac for an hour - supposedly to make sure all the luggage (which had been marked standby) got on... well, again, not all of ours. Out of 6 bags checked, only 3 made it to PHL.

At PHL, we went through to pick up our bags, and then to customs and to check them in again. Then we had to go under a rope and back into another line for transfers, as none of us had boarding passes for the second leg (because of the standby mess earlier). They had one line for everyone, including people who needed to check more baggage, those who had already missed their connections, and those (like us) who just needed boarding passes but our connections were about to start boarding. We finally got our passes and ran (mom walks with a cane!) to the gate, to find that the flight was late (they could have told us that!) and didn't leave for another 2 hours. The plane hadn't even come in from the prior flight.

To give the USAir gate crew credit, they kept us well informed at that point, even giving us blow by blow reports on when the plane was landing, how long it should take to deplane and clean, etc. We ended up leaving 2 hours late, and getting in to JAX at 11:30pm. Luckily, the baggage claim was still open, so we filed our claim (that took little time, they must be used to it!) and went on our way, exhausted, for the 2 hour drive home. I got home at 2 am, and collapsed - as I had work the next morning.

Not the airlines fault, but:

Got no sleep on the flight, as there was a 4 year old sitting next to me throwing a tantrum the ENTIRE 8 hour transatlantic flight, flinging things around, refusing to be in her seat belt - mom just sort of petted her and said 'shh, it's alright' a couple times, but basically ignored her. The flight to JAX was similar - two rows back was a littl girl screaming and crying that she wanted to sit next to mommy. She was with grandma - mommy was two rows up. 2.5 hours of crying that could have at least been ATTEMPTED to be curtailed if mom just moved her butt. Grr.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 01:03 PM
yk

Yes, this is normal.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 01:10 PM

On USAir definitely, but on other airlines too.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

I miss the days in which delayed flights were unusual, rather than normal. Sigh.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Us Airways flight originating from MYB thru CLT thru Phil and on to Madrid was very good this year. The year before thru the same connecting points to Rome I got left(late leaving MYB) left behind in CLT, barely got to PHIL to make my connecting flight to Rome. Only a wonderful flight attendant got me to the front of the plane to get off immediately in PHIL was the only reason I made that one.
Anymore you never know one can be terrible and the other one good.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 06:00 PM

I am doing MCO-CLT-LGW this Thurs with US Airways, and with a connection through CLT vs. PHL I am praying hard that my bags don't get lost. I have a 3.5 hour layover, so they'd really have to do bad to screw this one up as it is NOT PHL. I chose this rather than take BA or VS nonstop to save $300, and my sister who is going with me flies US through CLT all the time without any problems.

PHL is notorious for losing bags. I have made it my rule to never go through this airport--even if it's free.

One option next time--considering all of the connections you had--is that Virgin Atlantic now has a nonstop from Orlando to Glasgow. Why change planes twice, when all you have to do is take a 3 hour drive down from Jacksonville to Orlando? That's probably when paying the extra is worth it.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:54 PM

"front of the plane to get off immediately in PHIL was the only reason I made that one."

Hahaha, you have a connecting flight at PHL, you better have 3 hours to make it!!!!

regards - tom
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think you can blame the specific airlines for screaming poorly behaved kids on flights.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Oops sorry GreenDragon, I see you prefaced that paragraph with not the airlines fault!
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Yup, it was part of my generalized rant, rather than the airlines part.

The tickets from Orlando would have been $500 more per person for 4 people. However, next time I am vowing, no more connections.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM

My recent trip was with USAirways. All the flights were delayed.
The departure portion worked out fine (I posted it). But I wished they had notified us about the 3 hour delay of the return flight. The excitement was pulling the carryon, running to another concourse in the Charlotte airport! (and we made the connection just in time - cause it was delayed too!)
GreenDragon, I am sorry about your flight & luggage troubles.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:06 AM

I've used US Air from Seattle to Puerto Vallarta Mexico for the past 3 trips in June each year (transfering Phoenix). Everything was well organized and on-time (with teeny glitches like the movie didn't work on one leg when we were supposed to have one).
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 10:15 AM

There used to be a per diem allowance for bags delayed over 24 hrs. Has this changed, or was it not applicable here because no one owned up to delaying them? In 1995 my daughter's bag was "lost" for 5 days on an overseas trip, and I believe they reimbursed $100/day. I have only ever had a bag delayed when returning home (about 4 yrs. ago.), and it was delivered the next day n/c. I have been flying an average of 2x/month for the past 5 years, 1-2 international/yr., and I think my experience with lost bags is the exception, not the rule. Even though I have been much more anxious about checking my bags, I still do it, just that now I put a change of clothes in a small carryon.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

BA was able to tell my friend K that she was allowed a certain amount in the first 24 hours, and then 'reasonable expenses with receipts' for stuff after that.

However, I had brought my toiletries in my checked luggage, and had two outfits. Besides that, I couldn't get hold of anyone that knew anything about the delayed baggage policy at Flybe.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:31 PM
ekt

We flew US Air from NY to Phoenix and it was sooo boring. There was no movie or music. The stewardess said the airline took out all the wiring to save fuel costs. The fare was very reasonable, just should have brought more to read on this 5 hour flight.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 12:02 AM

Could the luggage issues just be an LHR baggage handling issue and not caused by the US or BA?

Maybe they could have told you that the PHL-JAX flight was late, if they knew about it. Did you check the departure monitors for your flight?

Did you get a reason for the delays? Were there weather issues?
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:11 AM

I avoid US Airways thru PHL like the plague if at all possible. The number of bags lost in Philly is legendary, and the airport itself is easily one of the worst, if not THE worst, in the entire country. If you get screwed by US Airways in that airport, it's your own fault, because the problems are very very well documented.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

The flights were on time until boarding, and then they were delayed more and more every 15 minutes or so.