Please help me figure out my Alaska trip in Aug 2009

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my trip with my BF to Denali and Kenai Peninsula has been roughed out. I would love some help in refining it, though. The purpose of the trip is to be VERY active -- lots of hiking, kayaking, maybe even a glacier walk at Exit Glacier.

We are going Aug. 12-22. Leaving New York City on Aug. 12 and returning on Aug. 23 with that overnight flight. Haven't booked flights yet as we are still figuring out if we want to go from Newark or from LaGuardia. There's a flight that leaves LaGuardia early in the morning and gets to Anchorage about 1:30 p.m.

We have rented a 25-foot RV from Great Alaska Holidays. I told my boyfriend all of the very helpful pros and cons I got from my last post and he thought about it and said, "I want to drive an RV." I'm willing to go along with this, as long as I don't have to get behind the wheel.

Our thought is to go to Denali first for a few days, and then head down to Kenai and stay a few days in Homer and in Seward. On the last day, Aug. 22, we'd drive back to Anchorage and go to the Saturday market and a museum and walk around and then head to the airport at 9:30 p.m. or so.

With the travel days, we'd have 9 1/2 days on the ground.

Here's my questions:

1) On the first day, would it be a bad idea to drive to Denali? I'm thinking it is, but I'd like to hear others' experiences. If it is a bad idea, where is a good place to stay? Is there a half-way point?

2) We have the choice of either 2 1/2 days or 3 1/2 days at Denali, then a full day to drive to Homer, and then the rest of the time split between Homer and Seward. So it would either be 5 or 4 days on Kenai. Any opinions on how many days you spent in either place?

3) Has anyone done one of the full-day kayak trips at Aialik Bay? Is it worth the money? I saw an earlier thread that said there is construction there this summer. Was it bad and obnoxious? I mean, could you see and hear it from the water and did it ruin the experience?

4) For anyone who has RV'd in Denali and Kenai, could you suggest campgrounds that you stayed at?

I'm still having trouble getting excited about this trip, mostly because it is so far away. I've never planned any trip so far in advance in my life. But I might as well be informed.

Thanks so much for the excellent suggestions I know are coming!
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 04:42 PM

1. It would be a really, really bad idea to drive anywhere the first day. You will probably be awake at 4:30 AM to catch early flight. When you land it will feel like 5:30 PM EDT. You then have to collect luggage, get to RV rental place, do all the assorted pick-up stuff, buy supplies - this is likely to take several more hours, making it feel like 8-9 PM EDT (although it will be 4:00 or so local time). You will have then been awake 16 hours and then start to drive an unfamiliar large vehicle. Get a hotel or RV site for the nite.

You did not ask, but Wasilla (a couple of hours north of Anchorage) is the last real place to buy supplies. So buy in Anchorage or plan on Wasilla. You can then say you have been to the home town of Sarah Palin.

You might want to plan on a stop in Talkeetna either to or from Denali.
Can't answer the other questions.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 02:29 AM

Wasilla is about an hour north of Anchorage. As Gail points out, you will have already had a long day when you arrive. Anchorage is a large, sprawling city so expect a lot of commuter traffic. It's a multi lane limited access big city type hwy out to Wasilla, then it changes and you begin to discover how remote it can be (even tho you're still on a hwy but now it's more like a state hwy). Don't rush. Also, this hwy can get boring. If you're lucky like we were you will see Denali looming in the distance but otherwise there's lots and lots of trees. If you've forgotten something, too bad. The grocery store in Talkeetna is very small and very limited. Also, the monotonous drive could make an over-tired driver even more sleepy.
If you visit coincides with the Blueberry Festival in Girdwood (on your way to Seward) http://www.travelalaska.com/regions/...?LocationID=25
you might want to make a visit for food, music and crafts. We visited the fair held in July. People are friendly and talkative. Fun food. And almost had a close encounter with a bear that was attracted by the food smells. Check out the para-gliding.
Was your boyfriend's quote supposed to read "I don't want to drive"? Both of you should be insured and listed to drive the RV just for safety's sake even if he doesn't have to get behind the wheel.
We've driven Talkeetna to Kenai which isn't as far as Denali to Homer. It's 5 hours just from Anchorage to Homer and this is the part of the trip with spectacular scenery. Plan a mid-way stop.
Seward is a beautiful town with some nice shops but an overnight is fine. The Sea Life Center is small but fascinating. You could stop in the Kenai/Soldotna area for an overnight. The Captain Cook State Park is out of the way but the sites looked large. Check to see if RVs are allowed. There are no hookups. Both Soldotna and Kenai are large towns with large supermarkets. From there it's about 1 1/2 hours to Homer. I would spend more time in Homer but we also opted to do an overnight trip to Seldovia (boat over, fly back). The Skyline Drive has incredible views but the road up from town has a lot of switchbacks. Not sure if it's ok for an RV. Don't miss the Pratt Museum. I think the farmers market is on Friday. Good place.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I think we'll stay overnight somewhere and then leave for Denali first thing in the morning.

And yes, my BF is ecstatic about driving an RV. But I will make sure I'm able to drive it too with insurance coverage.

Anyone else?
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 05:00 PM

we did a kayak just for a short distance near Seward. I wish we had done a Kayak Trip near a calving Glacier. Our kayak experience was good, but near a glacier would be great.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 04:42 PM

1) Don't try to drive to Denali upon arrival.
2) Bing's Landing is a campground on the Kenai River. (sometimes full). I'm not familiar with all the campground names, as we had our own lot down there for 20 years.
3) There is also a lovely campground (turnoff from Hiland Road) that's along the river near Eagle River which is 13 miles north of Anchorage (on your way to Wasilla/Denali etc.)
4) you should enjoy both Homer and Seward but expect heavy traffic and stressful driving. Part of the Seward highway has no shoulders and there have been some nasty accidents.
5) If you spend much time in Homer, take the Danny J over to Halibut Cove and have dinner. Beautiful spot.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 06:57 PM

You will be pleased with your decision of an RV.
As it is 1.30 p.m. when you arrive in Anchorage Great Alaska should have a pick up van for you. Also, most people pick up their RVs early in the morning, so check out should be quick. So it will be around 3.30 when you leave Anchorage. There is a bypass road so you can avoid downtown traffic. Also there is a Fred Meyer grocery in that direction for a quick trip for dinner and breakfast groceries. I would suggest you head for Wasilla, considered a bedroom community for Anchorage, about 45 minutes north. You will be tired from the trip, so you could consider eating out that night and stocking up groceries the next morning at Walmart just off the main highway. We stayed at Big Bear Campground, nothing much, but with clean and good showers. You will be early to bed, but then, with the body time difference – early to rise. Check for what time Walmart opens, as this is your last chance for groceries until you get back there after Denali.
Talkeetna for lunch and Denali by late afternoon.
Denali – you will need to book for the shuttle bus. We went to Wonder Lake, an 11 hour trip – well worth the time even if there were not many animals to be seen. As the bus leaves early in the morning, and it is first come first seat on the bus, we stayed at Riley Campground (five minutes from bus center) the first night, and moved the RV to the parking area before even having breakfast. I got in line with cereal bowl in hand!!!
That night we stayed in Savage Campground, 15 miles into the park. Quiet and great. We are not into hiking but from there you can get a shuttle into the park.
We drove from Homer to Wasilla in one day with a trip to the Zoo. But Denali to Homer is a long stretch. Why are you going to Homer with such a short holiday? I would personally go as far as Cooper Landing and then concentrate on Seward.
Anything else I can help you with. If you would like a copy of my 38 page journal let me know.
BTW I am very much a senior citizen, if I can drive the RV you can too. Jean
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 11:15 AM

It is only my opinion but I would reverse your itinerary and travel to Denali in the end of your trip. August 20-22 you have a chance to see Denali in the fall colors. Really, seeing fall colors of tundra in Denali NP is amazing. You are about 2-3 days too early but who knows. You'll definitely see some colors. It is a spectacular show. When I look at my pictures I took 8/25-8/30 I asked myself am I dreaming or this is what we saw with our own eyes? It was such a spectacular show.

Some people love RV's and some don't. We did it once and that was enough for us. Some times visitors say you can save money if you rent RV. Maybe if two couples share a cost or you have a family of 4 or 5 but if there are only two people I don't know how you can save money and once you add all expenses of your rental, gas (7-8 miles per gallon) and all add on, campground, getting rid of stuff, washing sheets, towels, etc., it doesn’t come close to what we spent with a regular car and hotels/motels/cabins/B&B's. Like I said some people like it some don't.

Maybe I miss something in your post but driving from Denali to Homer in one day is about 11 hours if everything goes well. No way I would plan on driving from Homer to Denali in one day.

If this was my first trip to Alaska and I had only 10 days I think I would go from Anchorage (1) to Homer (3), then Seward (2), Talkeetna (1), Denali (3) and back to Anchorage. Whatever you decide have a great trip.

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 11:25 AM

I suggest visiting Denali at the end of your trip rather than at the beginning. Bugs tend to be fewer and the foliage better in Denali the later you get into August.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM

I totally agree with NewPlaces and MileKing, we were in Denali this year Sept 3 through 6 and the trees were spectacular. Another reason for heading south first - if you are interested in a day fly-out to see bears, then the earlier the better. We were too late at the end of August. So Soldotna could be your first stop off.
Jean
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you twoaussies, MileKing and NewPlaces for the suggestion to flip the itinerary. Twoaussies I really appreciate your detailed recommendations. That's going to come in handy when I present all this information to my BF this weekend.

If we visit Denali at the end, would we have enough time to drive back to Anchorage on our last day without feeling rushed, or should we think about going to Anchorage the previous day and sleeping in the RV somewhere? I really would like to visit the Anchorage Market and would be sorry to miss it.

Thanks everyone!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 06:03 PM

You need to tell us what time is your flight back to NYC. If it is late in the evning than you have plenty of time to get back to Anchorage. It's about 5 hours drive from Denali but give yourself an extra time for any delays. The farmers market on Saturdays and Sundays is 10-6. If you leave Denali by 9 am you will have enough time for a leisulrly drive and a few hours for the farmers market before getting to the airport. You need to be there about 2 hours before departure of your flight. The problem may be with returning your RV. I know some companies request your return your rental by 11 am.
If you want to visit the museum and Alaska Native Heritage center then you need to return to Anchorage one day earlier.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

The flight that we're leaning toward, on Alaska Airlines, would leave Anchorage at 10:30 p.m. on Saturday Aug. 22. A friend of mine at work who rented an RV with Great Alaska some years ago said that they let him hang out for hours in the parking lot after they checked in the RV and then he and his family got a taxi to the airport from there.

I'll make a note to check the Great Alaska web site to see what time they require the RV back. It sounds like that information will determine if we come back to Anchorage on Friday early evening or on Saturday.

Thanks!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 06:42 PM

If you have to return your RV early in the morning maybe renting a car for a day to get around the Anchorage area and have your luggage with you is the answer. I don't think you would want to hang out for hours in the parking lot after checking in the RV
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 02:25 AM

Hi here i have complete information on US Hotels, Alaska, Attractions and complete information about US at "http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Travel/hotels.html"
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 05:28 AM

I too suggest, Denali Park at the end. Spend at least 2 days each in Homer and Seward. Then a night perhaps in Talkeetna, 2 in Denali Park. Your first day, if you pick up the RV then?? A nice state park, right outside of Anchorage, is Eagle River. Then the next day, you could spend your time, rested, enjoying the many stopping options on the way to Denali.

Wasilla is your LAST full grocery stop, be certain to purchase all supplies by then, (purchase, more than you think you'll need of toilet paper. )

Allow 6 hours for Denali/Anchorage.

Frankly for me, the Anchorage Market, is not worth a priority for me. Yes, worthwhile to visit, but not at the expense of other touring. My opinion only.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 06:07 AM

Oh my gosh! This is the first time I see someone feels the same way like I do about the Anchorage Market. Thanks
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 08:57 AM

In Wasilla, make a quick stop at the Iditarod Headquarters. For $10 each, you can take a short cart ride. Plus puppy petting. We were glad we did this. There is a great hiking area at Independence Mine near Wasilla.
Between Seward and Anchorage, do the hike to the hand pulled tram. The short way to get there is to enter from the gold mine side. We only went as far as the tram. Took about 20 min. THere is apparently a bridge a bit further on that is interesting to see.
Buy the milepost book to help with your driving. Well, it won't drive for you but it will help you know where to go.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great suggestions.

I had thought the Anchorage market would be a good place to buy locally made crafts, right from the artisans. That's the only reason I was thinking of going. If it's possible to be sure I can do this in other places, then I won't make a big deal out of going there.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 01:18 AM

You might do better for local crafts in Talkeetna or Homer. There was some great handmade jewelry at one of the shops/galleries in Homer. I got my handmade ulu in Skagway, though. But look for ones with bone handles. If you enjoy cooking, they are great (you'll also want the wooden cutting board/bowl). In Soldotna (on your way to Homer) there is a shop called Malfunction Junction. I almost skipped it because of the name but you'll find some locally made things there. The basement had furs. The museum shops (i.e. Sea Life Center, Pratt Museum) have some nice prints, note cards, etc by local artists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -