Staying near UW at Madison

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying near UW at Madison

Hi my daughter and I are visiting Madison for 2 nights 10/8 and 10/9 to tour the university. We've never been to Wisconsin, let alone Madison. Any ideas where to stay. Willing to consider a range of options, but would like convenient to campus, clean and safe.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM

I am sure that you will get responses here, but I also suggest that you check the university's website and/or call the admissions office (or email them) with your request.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM

I tried to look up where we stayed years ago, but I just can't find it. I can't remember the name, but we opened the curtains of our window to see the beautiful capital dome all lit up. Maybe someone will remember what hotel that is. It was lovely.

Madison rocks!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Kflodin,

How much are you willing to spend per night? Are you comfortable using Priceline? How important is is to be walking distance to UW? Would 3 miles away be OK?

Once I get your answers, I'll be able to help. There's really only one 3.5 star place in town with a number of 3 star options.

Kevin
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Our son is a student at UW. The first time we went up for him to tour the campus, we stayed at a Baymont Inn and Suites. It was nice but a good distance from the campus.

When we went back for his orientation/registration, we stayed at the Super 8 that's just off the beltway. And we've gone back several times since.

It's certainly not walking distance from the campus. It's probably about a 10 minute drive. But an easy one. There are hotels that are closer to campus. But they're not in our price range!

Super 8 is inexpensive. My husband and I stayed the Sunday of Labor Day weekend when we took the rest of our son's stuff up. With tax, I think it was $72. It's clean, quiet (as long as you make sure to request a room with no connecting door) and comfortable. It has a very nice pool and hot tub. And an okay continental breakfast.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM

I think the hotel kelliebellie may be remembering is the Concourse, which is on the Capitol Square and within walking distance of the UW campus. It's not necessarily a quick walk, but a fun walk down State Street. The Inn on the Park is also on the Square, but not as nice IMO.

There are probably other hotels with better access to campus, but I thought I'd chime in on this one.

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM

I think the Concourse might be it. Thanks! It was very nice and kind of in between campus and the Capital.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Hotels in the DT or campus area include:
Inn on the Park
Canterbury Inn (B&B)
Dahlman Campus Inn
Hilton Monona Terrace
Howard Johnson Plaza
The Concourse
Mansion Hill Inn (B&B)
University Heights (B&B)
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Abram has a pretty complete list. I would just add the Edgewater to that.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks, everyone. Great leads. I'll look into all the suggestions and get back to everyone. For the record, we only have a limited time in madison so I do think we want to be within walking distance of campus.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Best Western Inn on the Park is right next to the capitol building and convenient for all the downtown activities. You may also try the Best Western InnTowner and The Highland Club, which others may have mentioned. It's on University Ave and is a common hotel for folks visiting the university. There's also a DoubleTree downtown on W Johnson St. which also is convenient for what you need. It used to be a Howard Johnson's but got bought and renovated by DT a few years ago.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM

It's a big campus, so I think you'll want to save your walking for the campus itself, not going to/from your hotel. Figure out where on campus you're going and look for the closest parking to that. If you know you're just visiting the southeast area then a hotel on/near State St is fine.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Good advice, WhereWeAre. Though State Street is very close to the Memorial Union, it's a fair hike from my son's dorm. However, when we did all of the initial "looking" (tour, etc.) I seem to recall that most of it started over in that area of campus. So State Street probably would be fine.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Oops, sorry, WhereAreWe!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. I remembered we had some points hanging out with the BestWestern progam, so I booked a room for the Best Western InnTowner and The Highland Club, which by all accounts is very convenient. I'm sure I'll check in for more advice on our Madison trip (our first time), but at least I know we have a place to rest our weary heads after all the touring!
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 05:53 AM

Not sure if the football team is at home, but it is one of the very best places in the country experience a football game. (This coming from an Ohio State fan). If they are not, you may want to reschedule & get some tickets.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 05:56 AM

They play Penn St. that weekend + it is Badger Blast weekend, a great time to go...you may want to stay over.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 07:19 AM

The BW Inntowner isn't walking distance to the heart of campus--it's close to UW hospital, about 12 blocks west of the Camp Randall stadium, which is, itself, west of campus. I would say that it usually takes us about 15 minutes to walk from Camp Randall to Bascom Hill.

Getting a room over a football weekend will be somewhat of a challenge, and all home games are sold out, although there ae often people selling tickets around the stadium on game day.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 08:25 AM

The Inn Towner isn't in the best location to see the campus, but if you have a car it's ok, and is a quick drive to campus. Parking prices in Madison are reasonable (max 1.25 an hour). It's perfectly safe and there are some good restaurants nearby. It would be more convenient if you're looking at the engineering campus or the med or vet schools, I suppose. It's kind of a boring walk, but doable.

Best Western Inn on the Park is at the top of State Street, and will give you a much better sense of the city and the university, plus is close to great shopping and good (very reasonable) dining, plus a ton of coffee shops and stuff.

Enjoy your trip! I went to school and now work for the university, and I love it here!

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM

10/8 and 10/9 are Wednesday and Thursday night, so the football game isn't a big issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -