Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

To check bagged or not to check baggle to Hawaii destination...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question is prompted by it being a significant time (pre 9/11) since our last trip to Hawaii.

The situation is that our long distance flight from the mainland (American) is scheduled to arrive at 8:05 PM and our Interisland flight (Hawaiian) ischeduled for 7:45 PM departure.

What with the newest, very restrictive rules as to carry-on, the two of us will, much as we'd like to avoid it, be checking, at least two heavy two-suiters.

In the "old", uncomplicated days we always preferred checking only through to HNL and then retrirving our bags and re-checking them onto the interilsand flight.

Given the time constraint (above) and current situation is it possiblewould be able to accomplish clainming our bags from American, the baggage pickup/security routines and Hawaiaan Airlines checkin and make that interisland flight in that on hour and forty minute time priod?

Or should we grit our teeth and expose ourselves to the vagaries of today's baggage handling?

Thanks.

Thanks.b
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM

I suppose it depends on how long your trip is. I just traveled to DC with my son with only a backpack. It was GREAT! You avoid long lines at baggage check-in and don't have to worry about waiting at baggage for pick-up. I saw a lot more people with small suitcases as carry-ons. It's a real time saver. We were out of the airport at each end SO FAST! And this may keep people from over-packing as we all do.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 09:18 AM

From the times you have given it appears that you arrive from the mainland 20 minutes after your interisland flight departs. Even if you switch the times it appears you have only 20 minutes between flights. IS there a typo in your flight times?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 09:26 AM

Your arrival and departure times don't make sense, so I'm going to assume you inter-island flight departs at 8:45, 40 minutes after mainland arrival.

You don't have enough time to retrieve your bags and recheck them, as you have to go to the main ticket counter again.
The airlines may not guarantee arrival, either.

Check them directly through to your final destination.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Oops!

Sorry 'bout that.

Please allow me me to clarify...

First, we're not due to travel until next July and are planning on visiting three islands, the BI and Kauai (either could be the first -- it doesn't matter to us), and then on to Oahu from which we'll catch our outbound flight after a couple of ddays on that island..

Assuming no changes (and the flight being on time), we're scheduled to arrive at 6:05 PM Honolulu time.

Our options would be between two interisland (Hawaiian Air)flights d flights (either of which is ok with us), 7:45 PM to the BI and the other being 8;00 PM to Kauai.

BTW, we intend on spending 15 days in the Islands and an additional three in San Francisco (hence much luggage), before returning home (NYC).
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
jcb

Hi rahmanbar -

As long as your connection time is 90 minutes, AA will check your bags all the way through from NYC to Kauai or the BI. No need to pick them up in HNL and recheck them to your final destination.

Happy travels.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Jed

Your description of your bags as 'two heavy two-suiters" is interesting. I don't know what that is, as I am used to descriptions by size.

Because the airlines are becoming more restrictive with size and weight, do you know if they fit the limits?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would take the later flight so you don't have to worry. (Arriving 6pm, onward flight at 8pm)

I would still try to see if your luggage can't be checked all the way thru for you.

For 3 weeks in Hawaii I (personally) would not require big or heavy suitcases. You just need tropical clothes and most places offer laundry facilities.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Nornally if you have at least 60-75 minutes between flights your luggage will be on your flight. I'd look to see if there is a flight after the one you schedule, just in case your bags don't make your flight.

We just went through that a week ago. Our flight from the mainland was 1 hour late which means we missed our original connection. Hawaiian was ready for us and put us on the next flight to Lihue. Unfortunately, our suitcase did not make that flight but did come in about 25 minutes later on the next flight.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Just my experience, but we went for our one and only dream trip to hawaii and have been back about 10 times - I lost count.

That first trip we stopped at San Fran for a few nights and deemed it a mistake. I just didn't find adding a major city between paradise and home a great experience. It made it difficult to fully appreciate San Fran, since I was already missing the islands.

We once did carryon for a 2 week trip, but that was before all the liquids crap, and we had beach house and laundry facilities. You should be able to check your luggage thru, just bring a carryon with some essentials, bathing suit, one outfit, moisterizor, just in case. I've never had a luggage problem in hawaii.

Ooops, we did do carryon for an 8 day trip to Molokai and Lanai. The liquid thing was a pain in the akahine, but I managed to hop on standby to Molokai with minutes to spare. Left mrlou at the airport bar for the next flight, while I picked up rental car and stocked fridge for our secluded destination.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 05:11 AM

well, even with your length of time away it's not impossible to get by with just carry on luggage. I did it this summer, traveling for 15 days, using a rollaboard and a small backpack. You just get used to wearing an item of clothing more than once. because of the liquid restrictions, I did check a small, inexpensive zip up bookbag that was just for sunscreen, bugspray, and other liquids--something that if it had been lost, stolen, or delayed wouldn't have affected the trip at all.

For me it's more important to pack lightly and wear the same 6-8 items of clothing in different combinations than it is to have a different outfit every or every night. Lots of folks I know are just the opposite--it's more than worth it to them to lug multiple suitcases, worry about missed connections, and have as many clothing options and comforts of home as possible when traveling. Just decide which category you fall under and make the best of it from there--it seems to me like there's a risk and/or sacrifice no matter which option one goes for.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 06:31 AM

We've done MANY trips from the mainland to Hawaii and always checked bags through...never had a problem getting them after an inter-island flight.