Journey is the Destination (Amtrak)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've liked the idea of a train trip going from Chicago through Seattle or Portland, down to San Diego, and back to Chicago for some time. I've never done a train trip aside from the commuter trains from the suburbs into downtown Chicago, so I don't have a realistic sense of what to expect.
I'm wondering about a few things:
1. What is the best way to book with Amtrak (online? by phone? in person?)
2. How should I plan for the connections in the main cities when changing routes (Seattle or Portland, San Fran, San Diego)? If the train is late arriving, how do train connections work compared to airline connections?
3. What should my sightseeing expectations be from the train itself if I do not plan to stop in any of the towns or even cities along the way?
4. Anything else that's important to know about making plans for this trip?

Thanks!

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 02:29 PM

1) doesn't matter, either you get the tickets right away, or they get mailed (free mail) to your house.

I wouldn't bother with going to a station, same results as on-line or by phone.

Register on-line as frequent traveler to get points, if not for future travel, then for movie tickets or such

2) no idea! but I wouldn't count on getting a sleeper if you miss your next train

3) you may get some great views, but don't count to get off at stops. There are occasional 10-minute-smoke stops, and that's it.

4) yes, plenty! type "amtrak" in the search (top, right) and you'll learn more then you ever wanted to know
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Sorry, the search is "top, center".
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Hi carumu,

I recently took the Empire Builder to Seattle, and have taken the California Zephyr also to San Francisco.

1) I've been booking online lately with Amtrak and it's worked without problem.

2) For a long-distance train ride of several days, I recommend overnighting in your final destination if the train is due to arrive within 4-5 hours of your next train's departure. When I went from San Francisco-> Chicago-> Buffalo, I overnighted in Chicago where I had to change trains. I was glad I did as we were 4 1/2 hours late arriving in Chicago; some passengers changing to the Chicago--> NYC train BARELY made their connection. You might enjoy that night in Seattle or San Diego too, who knows.

3) The Empire Builder to Seattle has some gorgeous stretches especially in Western Montana and Washington State; the Great Plains of North Dakota and Montana are lower-key for sure, but even they have their moments. Can't speak to the other trains.

4) For that distance, get a roomette at least for each of the trains you board. Bring novels, activities for the evenings and low-key scenery portions. Talk to people in the dining car; this adds a human dimension to the travels as you meet people doing the trip for all sorts of reasons, from widely different parts of the country/world.

My trip report from Empire Builder this past June:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35140565
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 03:50 AM

I don't know if there's a best way to book. I always book online, never had a problem.

I just did the California Zephyr from Chicago to SF, and took dozens of photos from the train. My photos turned out really well, even though it was on a moving train. You'll see lots of beautiful nature scenery. Amtrak will provide a little pamphlet detailing sights along your route. I'm not sure if the Empire Builder has this -- but the California Zephyr (the one I took) had volunteer tour guides giving information on history and sights between Denver and Sacramento.

I would STRONGLY suggest booking a room. Remember, when you book a room, meals are included. And each sleeping car has a room attendant who cares for your needs.

Agreed that you should eat in the dining car. We met several very nice, interesting people to talk to over breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You'll also meet people in the observation lounge. All age ranges, and from all over the world.

Expect delays. These things aren't on time too often.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 05:06 AM

When you book your trip on one ticket and your trip includes connections to other trains, if you miss your connection due to a late train, Amtrak may, depending on the circumstances, put you on the next day's train or bus you to the connecting train at another station stop or even to your final destination. If you book a roomette you would be offered a similar accomodation on the missed train or if it is not available a refund of the price difference.
In any case, here in Chicago, as I presume in other major cities, there are passenger agents available after the arrival of a late train to offer you meal or room vouchers and to re accommodate you on the next train.
If I may offer you a bit of advise, I would definitely break up the trip into several segments, spend a night or two at a city or sight along the way.
Its a great and unique way to enjoy our great country.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 06:50 AM

An added important point regarding the Empire Builder (maybe something to consider for Coast Starlight and Southwest Chief too, although I have no experience with these trains); this is a popular route and roomettes and bedrooms sell out early especially for a summer trip. I booked in early April for mid-June; originally intended to go Chicago-Seattle June 19th, but had to shift my date to June 15th as that was the closest available date I could get.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, this is very helpful! I'm hoping to go mid-october, and will hopefully miss any vacation crowding as such!
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 05:46 AM

TwoFatFeet-- Yes, there were volunteer National Park Service folk that boarded the Empire Builder, discussing Glacier Park in Montana as we passed through it.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Think you've already seen my response in your "Smart Travel Trips" post, but if not, you might check.