Must see Seattle sights

Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must see Seattle sights

My husband and I have 2.5 (childless!) days in Seattle next week. We're staying at the Alexis hotel. Other than Pike Place market, what are some other must see attractions? We're not big museum people, but instead would like to explore, shop and eat!
Thanks!
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Pioneer Square is just a few steps south of the Alexis...a little more walking and you are in the International District. Down the hill from the hotel is the waterfront with all of its delights. I always recommend the boat trip from Pier 55 to Tillicum Village on Blake Island for the salmon bake and Indian interpretive dances.

If you go north to Seattle Center, no one will force you to visit the Experience Music Project (ackkk!!...but I'm a geezer) or the Pacific Science Center. Plenty to see and do in the downtown area if you want to limit yourselves geographically.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:47 PM

I suggest that on a clear day you take a ferry to Bainbridge Island, and wander around the little town of Clinton. Have lunch at Cafe Nola.

From the ferry you will have great views of the Seattle skyline, and, on a clear day, Mt. Rainier, the Cascades, the Olympics, and Mt. Baker, which is near the Canadian border.

What kind of shopping are you looking for?

Old Aug 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

We always try to bring back something for our home from our trips. Nothing too big, ie. furniture. Just something meaningful to us that would represent our travels. Of course, I'm never opposed to cute little clothing boutiques as well, but I'll save that for another trip. Oh, we were hoping to go to Bainbridge I. to check out a diner we saw on "diners drive ins and dives" (food network). Anything else to do on Bainbridge?
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Seattle Underground Tour
Duck boat tour
Visit to the top of the Space Needle
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 03:12 PM

madana

What diner?
We will be in Seattle at the end of the month. LOVE that show!!!!
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I suggest that on a clear day you take a ferry to Bainbridge Island, and wander around the little town of Clinton. Have lunch at Cafe Nola.

I'm sure you mean Winslow, as
Clinton is on a different island.

There are dozens of threads about what to do and where to eat, shop, and visit in Seattle. Either try a search or be a bit more specific about your preferences. For example, are you willing to rent a car for a day?
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Hello, Madana -

You are going to have a great trip - the weather is absolutely lovely right now.

If you do spend a day on Bainbridge - sail over mid-morning (you only pay to walk on the ferry on the Seattle side - when you sail back to the city it is free) and enjoy the view. Some good spots to hit for your lunch:

Harbor Public House "The Pub" - right over the marina - you can sit outside over the water - full bar - great local beers and really good food.

Doc's - not as good food (IMHO) - but you can eat out on their lawn near the water.

Cafe Nola - always good and right in town with an outdoor patio.

Streamliner Diner - great food with an outdoor patio - right in town.

Andante Coffee Shop - wonderful grilled sandwiches and amazing coffee.

Bon Bon - fabulous candy shop with home made fudge.

Many beautiful galleries - all kinds of art and antiques.

Finally - many wonderful small boutiques - let me know if you would like some recs and I'll provide a few favorites!

Take care - safe travels
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Go to the observation deck at the Chinese Room at the top of the Smith Tower in Pioneer Square.

Explore the Pike Place Market.

Loads of nice boutique clothing stores along 1st Avenue near, and north, and south, of the Market.

Walk along the waterfront.

How do you feel about parks?
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

mommacl:
The one on Bainbridge is called Big Star Diner. There is also another in Seattle called Voula's Offshore Cafe. Don't know if we'll have time to hit them both!

Courtneycwo:
Thanks for all the dining tips, very helpful.

No, we're not renting a car. We'll be in town the last few days of an 8 night trip which begins in the Napa area (for a wedding). We're flying in from SFO and from what I hear, a car is not necessary if we don't plan on leaving the city.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Suze:
We love parks as long as we can have a picnic lunch (sensing a theme?). Anything down by the water with a great view would be wonderful. I'm an avid photographer too so to get some great pics is high on my list.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 04:19 PM

Pike Place Market is great to visit and you could have breakfast or lunch, p/u a picnic at any of the little places to eat..or go to Ettas North end of the MArket for lunch.
Pike Place will have some really great postcard phots..I buy these everywhere we travel and frame them..very inexpensive easy to pack momento.

Also if you want you can ship alot of stuff home....salmon from Pure Fresh foods, vinegar and oil from,
Sotto Voce, DeLaurenti has all kinds of great stuff from a world import deli..there is a little toy store with unusual wind up toys and another place has puppet walking slugs....also is a made in teh PAciifc NW store nearby or p/u a Seattle amgazine and get a subscription.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Y'all - sadly - the Big Star Diner on B.I. has closed. It is now under a new owner / name and is the 305 Diner - we've not been - I believe that they specialize in BBQ.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 06:13 PM

The Olympic Sculpture Garden near the waterfront is an amazing urban space. Don't miss it.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM

What a shame that Big Star Diner has closed. I saw it featured on Diners... too and it sounded wonderful. I was sorry that I missed it when I lived in the area and visited Bainbridge Island.

In any case, a 30-minute ferry ride to Bainbridge Island is well worth the trip. The scenery (Mt Rainier, the waterfront, the Seattle skyline, etc. and BI) is gorgeous.
Once there, the town is full of little shops to wander through. We used to like to eat at a Mexican restaurant there (of all things). Isla Bonita or something like that. It was good enough to gain our return business, but there are probably better choices that are more appropriate for the locale.

I don't know where you are coming to Seattle from, but I'm jealous. August is the best time of year there. We live in Texas now and I sure miss Seattle summers!

You want to explore, shop, eat and take pictures? That sounds like what we like to do too.
Pike Place will be a good opportunity to do all those things. Don't forget to stop at the original Starbucks. I also like to browse at the Made in Washington store along Post Alley.

From there you can wander along the waterfront too. The waterfront and boats are some of my favorite pictures. Have some clam chowder from Ivar's or some fish at Anthony's. Yum.

We took a Ride the Ducks tour once and found it to be a lot of fun - lots of photo ops, sightseeing, and fun.

Another fun tour is the Seattle Underground tour. It tells more of the history of Seattle and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know.

Ballard Locks is a nice spot to stop. The locks themselves are very interesting and there is also a place for salmon viewing and also botanical gardens to stroll. A very interesting and pleasant way to spend half a day.

Gasworks park is an unique site along Lake Union. There are great views of the Space Needle and the skyline, lots of people watching, boat watching, etc. A great place.

I hope some of this helps. Have a great time in a great city!

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Such good info, thanks so much! We've never been to Seattle, very much looking forward to it. FYI, we're coming in from the NYC metro area, northern NJ to be specific.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 04:57 AM

We liked the Lock boat tour. My DH is a big Deadliest Catch fan, and they pointed out the differant boats moored there. Also, they pointed out the house used in Sleepless in Seattle. It was great fun to go through the locks!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Well there is one park right near the Pike Place Market overlooking the waterfront, but with the gentle warning you'll be sharing the space with many homeless and transient people that congregate downtown.

I was thinking more of heading to the shores of Lake Washington like Madison Park, Madrona or Leshi neighborhoods. Or 'Volunteer Park' just up on Capitol Hill is very pretty. You could get to any of them by bus. And certainly you can have a picnic there.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Or Magnuson Edwards, Golden Gardens, Discovery Park, if you want to be on the Sound.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 08:07 PM

Oooh, I know, how about an Argus cruise on either Lake Washington or Puget Sound. There's several options (see website).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -