Fun diner in Birmingham, Alabama

Old Jul 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun diner in Birmingham, Alabama

We have some time in Birmingham on our way to Florida and wonderred if there is a cafe or diner known for its regional cuisine.

Thanks!
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Anyone out there from B'ham???
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:01 AM

Downtown has a nice area with some neat resturants. Also, the Homewood area is very nice, fun to walk the streets....bet there is a local place there...

Perhaps someone can add to this....I have been several times and it is a lovely city.

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 06:05 AM

Hi annesherrod,

I live in B'ham and can recommend some places. If you are looking for regional cuisine, like meat and threes, a local favorite is Nikki's on Finley Blvd. It is always packed at lunchtime during the week and the menu is huge.

If you want something more upscale in the downtown area there is a lot to choose from. Highlands Restaurant on Highlands Ave in the 5 points area is wonderful as is Chez Fon Fon next door and Bottega. All three are owned by Frank Stitt, the local famed chef that was recently nominated for a James Beard award. You might also like Hot & Hot Fish Club, Ocean and Cafe Dupont; all are excellent. Also, John's Downtown Diner is known for it's upscale regional cuisine. For breakfast, Bogues on Clairmont Ave has been around forever.

In the Homewood area you might want to check out the places in SoHo. There you will find everything from upscale Sushi to hometown pizza. For middle eastern cuisine, try Nabeels. For outstanding Italian you should try Gianmarco's in Homewood. Make reservations because it is a small restaurant that fills up fast.

In Mt Brook, Daniel George on Culver road is excellent. In Vestavia Hills, the City Hall Diner is also very good. Mt Brook, Vestavia and Homewood are all communities that are located about 10~15 minutes from downtown.

Hope this helps. If you can tell me where you will be staying, I can perhaps offer some more suggestions. Birmingham has some really fine restaurants and the city is very friendly. Hope you enjoy your visit.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Nolefan - Thanks for the suggestions. We are just there for a couple of hours.

I love to try local/regional fare when traveling.

Nikki's sounds like the ticket!!
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM

What about the Whistle Stop Cafe in Irondale? Here's the Wikipedia link about it:
http://tinyurl.com/6rdkgo
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

I have never had a fried green tomato but would love to try!!!!

Oh and some sweet tea too please!!!

That is just taking off in STL!!

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM

A 2nd recommendation for the WhistleStop Cafe in Irondale. Great Southern food and sweet tea. You will love the fried green tomatoes!