Lone Adult traveling with 4 & 6 year olds to NYC for 7 nts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I'm crazy or not and maybe I'm just looking for reassurance, but I already booked the tickets and pricelined the hotel, and we're headed to NYC for 7 nights. I'm taking my special needs 4 year old and 6 year old and my hubby can't come to help, sooo...I'm wondering about some logistics. We're going to take a taxi to our hotel. We ended up at the Wellington for 5 nights and then the Hudson Hotel for 2 nights through priceline.
My questions are:
1. Can I take the stroller on city buses? My little guy has braces and can't really walk for too long so I need the stroller.
2. How is it with subway & stroller?
3. We're going to about 1 sight per day and then just wandering the rest of the day, finding playgrounds, seeing buildings, people-watching, etc. Just taking a leisurely little kid pace. I'm wondering if people know of any great little kid-friendly sites? We're planning on a ferry to the statue, the Central Park zoo (I think the Bronx would be too much for my little guy), Empire bldg, & Natural History museum.
4. Is there a better day or time to go to any of these? About how long are lines to these places?

Thanks for any help and assurances!
Cindy
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Hi Cindy...check out UrbanBaby NY, this may be very helpful to you:
http://blogs.urbanbaby.com/newyork/

You can definitely take strollers on the subway (I always see them) and probably on buses.

I realize from your post that your 4 year old is a boy; is your 6 year a boy or girl? If she's a girl, she absolutely love to go to The American Girl Place on 49th & 5th Ave...they have a pretty restaurant just for the kids...but I'm sure it will be very crowded, so allow a good portion of the day.

Also, for both boys & Girls, FAO Schwarz on 58th & 5th.

Serendipity for treats..
http://www.serendipity3.com/main.htm

The Museum of Natural History is a wonderful place for the kids. If I find any other information, I will post, I will ask co-workers that have children.
Enjoy your time!
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM

Cindy...also check out:
Children’s Museum of Manhattan
212 West 83rd St., 212-721-1223, cmom.org.
I read that they have a great exhibit through August...original artwork from Golden Books Collection.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Another helpful website:
http://home.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycg...pi_menuID=e2a1
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Central Park Playgrounds
http://www.centralparknyc.org/site/P...ygroundlisting
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all the info & links steelygirl. My oldest is also a boy, but FAO Schwartz sounds great!
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM

I see fold-up strollers on the bus & subways, but I'll tell you that most of the time, the people with them don't look happy.

My advice would be to strictly avoid public transportation during rush hours (7-10am and 4-7pm), when it's hard enough to get your body on a bus or subway.

You should spend a day at the American Museum of Natural History. Enter from 81st Street; do not enter the front doors where the lines are much longer.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Hi Cindy...happy to help, I don't have children but NYC has so many great places for kids! I'll keep you posted on any other helpful sites.
Also, there is a giant Toys R Us in Times Square with a big Ferris Wheel in the center of the store! That could be fun!
http://www1.toysrus.com/TimesSquare/dsp_home.cfm
Enjoy!
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM

Since nobody has mentioned this yet: You need to call both hotels to make sure that they have a room for 3 people, for you; Priceline bids for a room for two and New York has very strict fire laws.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 09:22 AM

You can take strollers ont he bus - but you need to be able to fold them.

I wouldn't attempt the subway by yourself with 2 little kids and a stroller. Most stations have only stairs - often several sets - and you need to carry the stroller up and down them - hard to do while keeping tak of another child.

I would count on buses and taxis.

Also - be aware that buses are crowded most of the time - as in no seats - so unless you come across some extra nice people - which you well may - you and the kids will be standing. (Or, the buses do have places for wheelchairs. Perhaps you could have the driver kneel the bus and put the stroller in one of the wheelchair spots - but do count on you and the other child having to stand.

The Staten Island ferry would be good. (That to the Statue of Liberty requires advance tickets and the lines are huge - to buyt tickets, for security - and then to see the Statue. I would think too many hours for kids this young.)

Count on doing the Museum of Natural History - all kids love it - and there are several IMAx movies you can see as well as all the great exhibits.

Also, the Met has some exhibits that kids seem to like: arms & armor, the egyptian department, the Teple of Dendur.

Also - just before you go have a look at the web site of the local 24-hour news channel. Each week they feature special events for kids - puppet shows or kids dance troups or whatever. It's NY1.com.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 09:53 AM

For an good day trip with two kids and a stroller you can take the ferry to Ellis Island / Statue of Liberty (but advanced tickets).

It will be interesting for you and lots of place to run with no-where to go for the kids
Same with the Empire State Building.

As steelegirl said FAO Shwartz is a great idea and also a carriage ride in Central Park.

Good luck - I hope you have a great time. My wife's friend has a special needs boy as well so we see (I dare not say "know") how hard it is.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:27 AM

It might be fun to pack a picnic lunch and head to Central Park for the afternoon. There is a great Whole Foods in Columbus Circle where you could get goodies for lunch. Any Duane Reade pharmacy is a good place to get drinks and snacks too. Definitely get a good map of Central Park so you can find the landmarks and playgrounds. The Central Park Conservancy has a good downloadable PDF map.

There is a very fun scene in the movie "Enchanted" that your kids might enjoy to get them excited for a day in Central Park.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Normally you would fold up your stroller on an NYC bus, but if your kid has braces on his legs, I'm sure they would make an exception.

There are tons of things to do in NYC for kids, just go at a leisurely pace. Both the Wellington and Hudson Hotel are well located near Central Park. There are wonderful playgrounds, carousels, the zoo and just plain relaxing and people watching at the park.

If you are at the Wellington, make sure to go to MOMA The outdoor area is especially wonderful.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:50 AM
mp

As a NYC parent, I would say your plan sounds fine and your kids will love NYC. Here's a few websites to check things out:

Victorian Gardens is a small, very fun amusement park right inside Central Park - it's particularly fun for little kids:
http://www.victoriangardensnyc.com/general-info.asp

Also try Go City Kids, a good listings of kids activities and info:
http://gocitykids.parentsconnect.com...ew-york-ny-usa

Also, both Time Out NY and NY Magazine have listings for kids shows, kid friendly restaurants, tips and things.
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/kids
http://nymag.com/family/kids/

Getting around NYC with a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old in a stroller is NOT unusual - city kids are in strollers longer, because the parents want to be able to get places quicker than if you're walking at a kids pace. So don't feel that it's all that unusual. I've known 6 year olds in strollers. And I really think if you avoid rush hours you'll be fine - the subway is difficult with a stroller, but you can plan carefully using stations that have elevators and escalators, if you have too. It's not fun, but it can be done. Here's a link to the MTA subway map - stations w/ elevators have the disabled symbol next to the station name. Be aware tho, that a good part of the time, the elevators are out of service.
http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Also hopstop.com is great for planning trips.

Since you're going to be staying in Midtown, a few great places ( in addition to the good ones mentioned in the other posts) to know about are:

Top of the Rock (I think this might work better for you than the Empire St. Bldg., which really has long lines);

There's is a really sweet playground on the West side of Central Park around 67th Street called the adventure playground, which has some water play areas (troughs and sprinklers) and down the hill from there is another playground with swings - very shady and pleasant on a warm day. here's a link with a map:
http://www.centralparknyc.org/site/P...nd_adventurepg

You might be better off doing the Staten Island ferry instead of the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island Ferry - the trip to the statue is very long, with little payoff for young kids - take the free SI Ferry, you'll see the harbor and the Statue and the waterfalls under the bridges - it will be cool and breezy and fun.

Don't know how you feel about video games, but the nintendo store in Rockefeller Plaza is a nice, air conditioned break in midtown.

Burger Heaven - good for simple diner food/burgers, etc. and very kid friendly.

have fun!
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM

And don't forget - let us know how it went.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Make sure the stroller has large wheels. Strollers with standard plastic wheels don't do so well on the sidewalks, as I learned on a trip to Philly.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to everyone for all of your responses! I've always used priceline with no problem with my kids, but I guess I'd better call. That would be a horrible glitch. Also, thanks for all of the links. I'm still looking through all the pages!
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Hi

have a wonderful trip. I took my daughter( age 10) to American Girl, Macy's, Empire State Bldg and we walked to Rockefeller Ctr....sorry for her walking so far.

The Museum of Natural History is good but too far out of the way if you are handling two. Use buses not subways. The Empire State Bldg is fun for kids. They seem to like the skaters at Rock. Ctr and NBC studios. The Central Park Zoo is OK too, as are the great clowns in Central Park but be careful as they are all trying to sell or (con) you into something. FAO Schwartz is OK and you can find cheap things there as well as pricey things. They have a neat ice cream counter there that kids love.

If it is raining you may want to make the detour to the Mus of Natural History. There is also the Toys are Us in Times Sqare but I would totally stay away -Times Square as it is too too crowded anytime of the year with two in tote.

have a wonderful day
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 05:31 AM

bookmarking

Thanks!
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 05:55 AM

cindy, have you already taken this trip?

I'm curious as to how The Hudson Hotel worked out for you as they have notoriously small (12x11) priceline hotel rooms.