Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Music That Moves You: Are you traveling anywhere this summer to see a concert?

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was lucky enough to see Tom Petty and Steve Winwood last night at Madison Square Garden. It was incredibly thrilling--the kind of show that I would have traveled from far away to see (like many of the other concert goers there).

Just curious to hear about anyone else's summer concert plans--close to home or farther away.

After last night, I'm considering heading out to San Francisco for the Outside Lands Festival.
http://www.sfoutsidelands.com/artists/index.php

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 09:16 AM

Not really to see a concert, but to participate in a Dobro workshop (for acoustic lap steel guitar players) at Centrum in Washington.
http://www.centrum.org/slide/dobro-intensive.html

If you're going to plan on coming to San Francisco, consider attending the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, to be held October 5-8 in Golden Gate Park. That's typically a time of fine weather, and the lineup is one of the best for American folk music of all types (country, blues, bluegrass, folk, etc.). Best of all, it's FREE, financed by the millionaire Warren Hellman.
http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 09:26 AM

Glad you had a good time Katie.

THere is another thread about how good the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss show is.
They are playing around the country.

I watched some of their duets on Youtube and they are great together.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM

I was suppose to see Tom Petty in Boston last Friday night but had to do something else instead. Gave the tickets to my sister. She loved, loved, loved seeing Tom Petty and Steve Winwood. She said the concert was great!
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 09:29 AM

what a great thread to start!
Well, I'm traveling to see:
-Pearl Jam in one week
-Counting Crows in August
-Rascal Flatts/Taylor Swift in September
-Ron White (comedian) in November

*I'm 23, love music...been to about 30 or 40 concerts, from Boston, to Montreal, to Hartford, to Albany, to places in Vermont. If I could, I'd go to the folk festival in Newport, RI...Jimmy Buffet is there...it's played right on the ocean at Fort Adams...amazing scenery/view
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Great thread, Katie!

In past years, I have traveled to Tampa, Atlanta, and Boston to see Dave Matthews Band (and to have extended girls' weekends), but this year, I am staying home, and will see them play in West Palm Beach.

It's a lovely amphitheater, but it sure gets hot and rainy. I think I have been rained on every time I have seen a show there.

Enjoy your summer tours, everyone!
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:11 AM

Going to see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at the Gorge on August 16th (after seeing them here in Calgary on the 11th). Saw Mudcrutch in San Francisco in April. Woo Hoo Tom!
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:22 AM

I "travel" just a few miles here in Manhattan to see all kinds of concerts, on average about one per week.

Tomorrow night is R.E.M. at MSG.

Tuesday night is the New York Philharmonic on the Great Lawn of Central Park.

Live & Collective Soul are at the Hammerstein at the end of July!

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Gekko, I heard REM was great at Jones Beach on SAturday night. I had tickets but with the lightning storm decided not to go. I still can't believe they played in that storm, usually rain yes, lightning no, but they went on anyway. Dangerous.....

enjoy!!! I saw them a few years ago at MSG and they were great!
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Well, about 3 years ago we traveled from NYC to LA to see Brian Stokes Mitchell and Audra MacDonald do Porgy & Bess with the LA Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl. An enchanted time had by all.

This year, we don't have to stray too far to hear the beautiful pipes of Mr. Mitchell, we are hearing him in concert in the Pines on Fire Island in a few weeks. Makes my summer a hit, and anything after that is gravy.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Saw Steve Miller and Joe Cocker in Dallas recently -- just about a 20-mile drive, but it probably cost more in gas than when I used to travel 250 miles for a concert! (Great show, by the way!)

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Yes, we're travelling to Austin to see the Austin City Limits Festival this coming September. It's an all weekend jam session held at Zilker Park. There's usually about 5 stages with a total of about 130 bands playing all weekend long. We've done this the past 3 years and have always enjoyed it - even with the intense heat! We were even on tv last year being interviewed about the experience of going to the concert.

www.aclfestival.com

It's not terribly far from home (about 3 hrs) but it's still a trip and we still are paying for hotel when we're there...does that count?
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Jack Johnson at the Gorge at George, Washington in August.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM
mp

I have a fond memory of 20 years ago, traveling in San Francisco, when we read that David Lindley (the great guitarist) and his band would be playing the next night in Cotati, a little town about an hour north of SF. We drove up and as we were checking into the local motel, there was David himself, in the lobby unpacking the boxes of T-shirts to sell at the show!

When we told him we'd come all the way from New York to see him, he said, "Really? I'm flattered!" We had to tell him the truth eventually tho. It was a great show . . .
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Going with DH to the jazz festival in Detroit over Labor Day weekend.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Well, not a specific concert but we're going to Austin to hear a lot of music. And to meet a lot of fodorites!
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 06:41 PM

Just saw Heart here in Honolulu a few weeks ago.

Those girls can still ROCK!

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM

My wife and I loved the Eagles at MSG a few weeks ago. We loved it so much that we are going to see them again in Philadelphia on July 14th.

Steely Dan was a huge let down last week at the Beacon Theater in New York City. We had front row seats for opening night. The play list that evening didn't include some of the great songs from the Asia album.
A week from Saturday, we are going to see Steely Dan outside of Philadelphia to see if they can redeem themselves with a better play list.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:06 PM

I just got back from two weeks in the U.K. My special treat on this journey was seeing Paul McCartney headlining the "Liverpool Sound" concert in his hometown on June 1st. He finished the show with "I Saw Her Standing There". A few days later, I visited Paul's childhood home, where he and John wrote and rehearsed that very song. Who knew--45 years later--who knew??!!
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 06:07 AM

I'm lucky to get to see a lot of great live music here in Chicago and am looking forward to a number of shows this summer. The only traveling for music that I have planned is heading to Summerfest in Milwaukee to see Lucinda Williams and Rodrigo y Gabriela on different nights. Am super excited for both shows.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -