Should I stay a night in Santa Cruz?

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I stay a night in Santa Cruz?

I'm planning a trip to play golf at Pasatiempo on a Sunday or Monday. After I play my travel route will head me back toward LA.

I haven't settle on where to stay after I finish in Santa Cruz.

Should I:
Stay at a hotel in Santa Cruz?. Is there a decent midprice one? The reviews on Tripadvisor are not encouraging.

Continue on to Pacific Grove and stay at Asilomar (again) or somewhere else around Monterey.

Go back up to the Bay Area, but then the next day is a weekday and I'll be heading south with all of the commute traffic. On the other hand, no cost to stay with family.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:15 PM

I think Santa Cruz is a really nice place to spend some time, so would say, yes, stay there. I can't suggest places (always stayed with a good friend), but sure others can.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM

I'd drive to Santa Barbara and spend the night. It's on your way, it won't exhaust you after golf and you won't be too tired the next day while you're in L.A.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 05:33 PM

I used to live near Santa Cruz. I wouldn't recommend staying there after Pasatiempo. And I definitely wouldn't drive up to The City and back down the next day.

Instead, drive south to Monterey or Carmel and stay there for the night. Much nicer ambience at that end of the bay. Or, if your tee time is really early you can drive farther south to Big Sur (Ventana Inn, etc.) or even to Cambria (really nice B&B's, etc. there.) I think Santa Barbara is too far after golfing all morning.

Good luck!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Good point, Doohickey. However, staying here, in Carmel, makes for a long drive to L.A. the next day. Been there, done that, too many times! If 4-1/2 hours is too long for mlgb to drive, to reach SB, then, another consideration would be San Luis Obispo.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM

If you've already stayed at Asilomar, staying a night in Santa Cruz is a good idea.

A popular hotel on tripadvisor is Pelican Point Inn. Google them for a phone number. I don't see a web address. They redid the entire hotel a couple of years ago. They just built a much more expensive hotel next door (Belle Notte).

This hotel is on the "east side", near a couple of good restaurants and a coffee shop. The beach is down the street, and it's a short drive/medium bike ride to Capitola Village. The coffee shop nearby also rents bikes.

We live in this neighborhood and love the beaches. There's also fantastic restaurants on this side of town and little south. I'd be happy to give suggestions.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far.

Christy, what restaurants do you recommend? I'll probably eat dinner at least once in Santa Cruz. Also anything to recommend in Half Moon Bay for casual dinner?

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 07:54 AM

I don't know your food preferences, but my favorites are Cafe Sparrow in Aptos, Bittersweet Bistro in Rio Del Mar, and Limoncella on Water Street. These have great food and service, but none of them are "on the beach".

For somewhere you can sit outside with a view, and have good food, there is the ring of restaurants in Capitola Village: Lido's, Cava Wine Bar, Paradise Beach Grill, Stockton Bridge Grille, Paradise Sushi.

Tourist favorites are the Crow's Nest or Shadowbrook (both are close to Pelican Point Inn). You lose a little in food quality in the exchange, IMO.

If you want more casual places to have dinner, that's a very long list. I'd be happy to share my favorites.

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 08:00 AM

The Shadowbrook Inn in Capitola is very good, we dined there last July while on a surfing trip to Santa Cruz. Great food, lovely ambiance and the little trolley car that goes down to the dining room is fun to ride. ***kim***
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 08:23 AM

I think the town of Capitola is the cutest beach town in N California

I wasnt there at peak season though and I guess it gets pretty congested - but I absolutely loved it there - right next door to Santa Cruz so make sure you spend a little time there
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Yes, would appreciate just a few more casual places. I eat like a typical Californian...sushi, tacos, Cal-Med. Not burgers and meatloaf!

I usually barrel thru Santa Cruz so I think I will check out the Pelican Point Inn if they have a room the day I play. It sounds just right for me. And Capitola.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Great. I think you'll like the area.

More casual places:
Near Pelican Point Inn is Aloha Island Grill, now with Kona Brewing beers on tap (yay!).

In Capitola Village is Pizza My Heart. I love their pizza.

Tacos Moreno is usually recognized as the best place for a taco or burrito. But I'm not sure how late they are open.

Pink Godzilla is a sushi place on 41st. The prices can't be beat, although Takara at 38th ave/Capitola mall has better quality.

And Pacific Avenue is a great place to walk and gawk. There's many places to eat. My fav is Chocolate by Bookshop Santa Cruz. You can eat outside and it has a Euro feel. The hot chocolate is not to be missed.

Some restaurants will be closed on Monday evening. I know Pink Godzilla is.

Hope you have a great time!
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Just a quick report back. I enjoyed Capitola (the surf was up, way up). Had a veggie slice at Pizza My Heart and it was great.

Also picked up some food at Gayles for the golf course.

Pasatiempo is probably not as famous as some of the Pebble Beach courses but is a gem. (I think it's as close to Augusta National as most of us will ever get). They did a great job restoring the original Alister MacKenzie traps. Better bring all of your game. Also played at Delaveaga which was a good warmup.

Decided to stay at Carmel on the way home since I had to get all the way back to LA the following day.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 02:57 PM

bookmark