Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

5 Budget Friendly New York Hotels: What would you add?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We named the following as budget-friendlier New York Hotels. I've seen many of these often mentioned here. Have you stayed at any of the following? Also, what would you add?

http://www.fodors.com/news/story_2915.html

Casabalanca
Millennium UN Plaza Hotel New York
La Quinta Inn
Hotel 41
Hotel Metro

I recently heard about a hotel for members of the armed forces on Lexington. I'm curious if anyone has ever stayed there. http://ssmaclub.org/

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Hi

I stayed at Quality inn in Long Island city. It was cheap, pretty new and it is only 2 stops on the subway to Manhattan. Here is my review of the hotel with pictures: http://gardkarlsen.com/Quality_Inn_L..._City_2007.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks gard--- would you mind saying how much it was per night?
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:00 PM

For the intrepid rough and tumble very budget traveler, I would recommend the Hotel Marrakech on the upper west side near Columbia University at 103rd and Broadway. It is a basic hostel but only $32!!! per night. It makes a great arrival base if you get in at midnight and don't feel like spending $300 for a few hours of sleep. I was in a 4 person bunk bed room with mixed sexes (!) which surprised me but it was no big deal. I slept, got up, and went on my way. I don't think the price can be beat. It is also so easy to get to from LaGuardia. You can take the public bus which picks you up right at arrivals terminal every ten minutes and for $2 you end up at 106 and Broadway and walk just 2-3 blocks to the hotel. Subway stops are within 1 block to get anywhere in NYC. This was in October during high season when the LaQuinta was over $300 per night.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM

It seems strange to include only one of the Apple Core hotels (La Quinta) and not mention the mini-chain, which is more economical than most of the other hotels on your list. another Apple Core property, La Quinta's neighbor, the Red Roof Inn, should be on any list of NYC hotels for budget-minded travelers; it's newly refurbished, with about the same amenities and prices as La Quinta.

By the way, none of the hotel's own materials uses the word "Inn" with the name for La Quinta Manhattan.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Hi

When we stayed at Quality Inn in Long Island city it seemed to be high season so it was on average 160$ including breakfast, internet etc. But I see that in February you can get it down to 115$ so I guess it depends on when you are going.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Given the price range of the places listed in the article, I'd add Stay the Night and the Park South.

I haven't stayed at any of the ones on the list.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:07 PM

The Marrakech used to be - and apparently still parts of it are a hostel. (It keeps changing names to rid itself of a history of complaints).

Not what I would call cheap but friendly - more like for the poverty stricken and desperate.

Some people report seeing updated rooms - but from all I've seen it's still a dump.

The other hotels are a mixed bag - not all in the same price range - unless there are specials on travelzoo.

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM

Here's a link to an article in the Washington Post from May 2006 about good NYC hotels under $200.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...0/gallery.html

My husband and daughter stayed at one of these, the Bedford Hotel, last March and got a good room, excellent service and a great rate.
My husband and I stayed at the La Quinta about 5 years ago and it was a great choice for us. Small room, but quiet and they had a nice breakfast buffet. Plus it was in a great location for easy sightseeing.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who has added their suggestions so far (more are certainly welcome)... I'll send this thread on to the New York editor.

We've also added your recommendations to the original article with links out to their sites:
http://www.fodors.com/news/story_2915.html

Anonymous-- thanks for mentioning the Apple Core chain. I'll keep it in mind for the next time my parents visit as it is a scramble to find hotels options that are affordable enough for them to stick around past the weekend.

To anyone interested, here is the link to that chain: http://www.applecorehotels.com/

It looks like the La Quinta specific site (http://tinyurl.com/znzez) includes the "Inn"; but I notice that Apple Core's site does not. I'll pass that tidbit on to the editor to look into too.

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Meant to add... Anonymous I added your suggestion. It should show up on the site's next update.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 01:13 PM
GoTravel

Hi Katie:

I've always thought the Park South Hotel is one of the best deals in the city. It is almost always better priced than the so called budget hotels (Super 8, La Quinta, Best Western) but is a gorgeous little boutique. At also serves a great breakfast. It includes meat, cheese, hard boiled eggs, bagels, croissants, cereals, hot teas, coffee, etc. They also have free DVD rentals and flat screens in all the rooms.

I haven't priced it lately but The Salisbury is one of my favorite hotels. It is older but quirky and the rooms are quite large. A rarity in Manhattan. Also, the Midtown location cannot be beat.

Lastly, I know it gets a bad rap but The Milford Plaza is a great deal in a bustling Times Square location. It is very large and the lobby is always bustling.

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Out of curiosity just found the Salisbury for $231 midweek for select dates in March. Does that rate sound like what you remember? That seems pretty reasonable for midtown.

Last summer I booked my parents down at the Marriott in the Financial District for $199 a night. Their room was really nice; so I felt like that was a good deal.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Casablanca is one of my favorite hotels anywhere! But I'm not sure I'd categorize it as budget. It can be pretty pricey - pushing $400/night most of the time .
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM

I agree I find it very bizarre to include the Casablanca in the same breath with the La Quinta. In fact I think these hotels are all over the lot. I'd say as a sampling of various price points:

budget with shared bath ($99-150/night)=
Larchmonthotel.com
chelsealodge.com
Vanderbilt YMCA

budget with private bath ($150-199)=
Applecorehotels.com
Grand Union
Stanford
Herald Square
Newton

Moderate ($199-~250)
Metro
NY Helmsley
Mill. UN Plaza
Best Western President
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Hi Katie,
We stayed at the Metro,just a year ago, and couldn't have been more pleased. The room, especially for the city, was quite large,perfect, since it was my adult daughter and myself. Breakfast's were excellent,staff most helpful, and the area close to the subway, and walking to both uptown and Union Square. We enjoued the view of the Empire State Building, from the rooftop-one felt you could almost reach out and touch it.
We plan to stay once again, in the fall.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 03:12 PM

We stayed at the Moderne for less than $200 a night in mid-May 2006.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 01:36 AM

http://starhotelny.com/rates.php

Katie-have not personally stayed here but might be worth a look-see.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 05:59 AM

We have stayed at The Paramount Hotel off Times Square twice. Once in January and once in March. Both times we have gotten in at under 125 per night. While the rooms really are small, the location for the money would be tough to beat! We won this hotel on priceline both times. The second time we stayed there we waited until we got to the front desk and asked about an upgrade...$10 more per night got us a room twice as big. I love the deco style in this place as well!
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 08:26 AM

When we took the Foods of NY tour last year, they gave us a list of recommended places to stay in the Greenwich Village area:

1. Washington Square Hotel, 103 Waverly Place
2. Incentra Village House B&B, 21 8th Ave
3. Rooms to Let B&B, www.roomstolet.net, 83 Horatio St. (note: dot NET, not dot COM)
4. Abingdon B&B www.abingdonguesthouse.com (this one is fairly expensive)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -