Walking food Tour in Grenwich Village

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you recommend this tour for a teen? They are balking at it being 3 hours but I heard it was very interesting! Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

I mean GreEnwich Village--sorry!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:01 PM

Sure, I think a teen would enjoy it. It's constantly moving so it doesn't get boring, and one need not pay attention all the time.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:19 PM

Depends on the teen and whether he/she is a picky eater. Most female teens I know would not be into an eating tour. Another idea might be the Brooklyn pizza tour.
http://bknypizza.com/
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM

If I was a teen visiting NYC I would rather go in and out of all the fun shops in Soho and go grab some good finds in some of the many other stores mentioned here if you search under "shopping, nyc" and "shopping, soho" or "shopping, greenwich village" or "discount shopping, nyc" things like that -

just look on top where it says
"search this forum" and type things like that into the box and go !

But when I was a teen, that is what I was into more than a food tour......
Shop, get a slice of pizza, shop, get some ice cream, shop, buy some great chocolate something, shop, in and out of all the stores and being in 'the big apple" - now that would have made me far more excited than three hours of a food tour, even if I didn't have to pay attention all the time.

Or to Brooklyn/ walk the Brooklyn Bridge, pizza/chocolate/ice cream/ walk over that neighborhood -
or East Village/West Village - just to do that type of neighborhood walk and stroll and window shopping would be more fun for teens, in my opinion -

it seems from your posts you are doing a nice dinner, theater, and perhaps the Tenement Museum - if they aren't into shopping, and are balking at a food tour, how about something else:
Walking 5th Ave (some shopping) , Rockefeller Ctr, St. Patricks, Central Park, and all the while you are still passing shops, eats, etc.

or down into Union Square - they can go into Filene's basement, that cute and I think, reasonably priced store right next to or under it, the Virgin Record store, to Chocolate by the Bald Man, that type of way to kill a few hours they might like -
maybe you can do that on a day the market is in Union Sq too - that's a fun site to see.

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:53 PM

If you choose the Brooklyn Pizza tour please report back. Certainly sounds different.

Sandy
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:32 PM

I think a teen would enjoy the food tour becasue it's not a "stuffy" type of event, the guides are young people who live on the village and have a lot to offer. There were teens on the tour when we took it and none of them were standing around yawning! The 3 hours go by fast, there is a lot to see, eat and absorb!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:11 PM

My daughter, age 16, last Spring Break, and I took the tour of the Village. We both LOVED it and I highly recommend it!! Our guide was not a young person but an expert in the Village, having lived there for years!! Remember, it's not just a food history but a historical regional history of the neighborhood. Sign up now at wwww.foodsofny.com. You won't be sorry!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM

I had to adjust my glasses to figure out why DownSouth's link didn't work. There is one too many w's at the beginning.

Try www.foodsofny.com
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

My teen wants to shop--so I thank you for all the suggestions!
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 05:26 PM

There's a brand new Juicy Couture store in the West Village, Bleecker St. at Perry or Charles. I thought my 12 year old niece was going to fall down and kiss the floor she was so in awe of the store. I highly recommend.
There are other shops on the street. It's a cute area and the Magnolia Bakery is just down the street. If you want food then you can walk down Bleecker and pop into Murray's cheese and Rocco's pastry across the street for a cannoli.
Then you aren't too far from shopping in SoHO.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Grimaldi's is on the food tour...the best pizza in New York! If your teen likes bargain shopping, make sure to visit Canal street on the weekend. You can start in Chinatown and work your way down and back up the street. The entire thoroughfare turns into an open-air market with anything from purses to stereos and everything in between.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM

We took our teen daughter on one of the tours. She enjoyed shopping a lot more. It was also hot the day we went.