Reload this Page >

I need an idea for a quick weekend getaway from NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 02:34 PM
rob

I live in Manhattan, and I'm looking to get out of town for a weekend with my girlfriend. We are looking for something low-key, yet its important that we don't have to drive more than 5 hours or so. I'm looking for somewhere I can stay 2 nights. I've heard Cape May, Mystic, New Hope. Any ideas of towns, names of specific places, or even urls to check out would be appreciated. We've been dating a year, and I'd like to do something nice. Thanks for the help.

rob

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Jan

I live near New Hope, PA - personally, I don't think it is a destination, but I know some New Yorkers love coming to Bucks County for a weekend. New Hope is touristy. Has a few good restaurants and some good bars. The traffic is unbearable on weekends. However, if you like to take nice drives, the road that goes through New Hope, if you take it North, is a VERY pretty drive during the fall, and there is a nice little orchard about 45 minutes north (solebury orchards - http://www.users.voicenet.com/~soleorch/store.html) and a winery that sits on top of a hill with incredible views and decent wine - wine tastings are free (http://www.sandcastlewinery.com/). If you go, you MUST try the apple wine that is based on the owner's grandmother's recipe - this might sound gross, and i don't like sweet wines, but for dessert, it takes like apple pie! (like i said, it is for dessert) My husband and I went to Mystic two years ago for a weekend - pretty drive. Good seafood. Pretty, quaint town - not alot to do at night. Mystic pizza ala the Julia Roberts movie was actually good pizza!

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Ashleigh

My fiance and I felt the exact same way! We just spent a long weekend up in Canada, specifically Montreal and Quebec. The flight to Montreal is only an hour from LGA, and we rented a car and drove up to Quebec (under 3 hrs). Quebec was absolutely beautiful, and perfect for couples. The weather was great - 70 degrees during the day; sightseeing, food, shops and people terrific as well. I would have preferred to stay longer in Quebec, since Montreal is more of a regular city, but that's my opinion.
Let me know if you want any specifics on hotels, etc.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 04:49 PM
sharon

How about the Adirondacks? For a romantic, wonderful place to stay, check out www.friendslake.com.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 03:24 PM
Sylvia

Rob,

If this is just your girlfriend, why are you planning to stay overnight? What ever happened to purity, sanctity of marriage? What would your parents think? And her parents? Why do you think they call a honeymoon... a honeymoon.

Sylvia

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 03:53 PM
Celeste

It's getting a little cool for the shore, but Cape May, NJ and Newport, RI (or Mystic Seaport, CT) would be great choices.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 04:06 PM
Randy

With all of the insanity in the world of the past 6 weeks, Sylvia, why would you choose this forum and this site to criticize a guy who's looking for a nice weekend escape with his girlfriend from NYC????

Rob didn't mention that he was looking for a place to "sin", just a nice place to get away. You are the one who implies that unsavory acts are afoot. If you need to preach, my suggestion is that you find the Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell web sites.

Rob- I've been to Mystic and think it would make a nice weekend getaway. Mystic Seaport is very quaint and will give you a real appreciation for New England and those who took to the sea!

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:39 PM
Jan

How about Rock Port, Ma. or A B&B ie: The Boulder Inn , New Preston Ct.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:49 PM
tess

Hey Sylvia:
Some people have sex during the day, not necessarily at night in a bed. Ever thought of that?

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 07:34 PM
LeighAnn

Judge not, lest ye be judged. Let the one who has not sinned cast the first stone.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 07:48 PM
Donna

Montreal is a fabulous destination and I highly recommend it. Especially, Hotel de la Montagne. But for some true R&R, go to the Bedford Village Inn in Bedford, NH. The foliage is specacular at this very moment, the rooms are magnificent, the two dining establishments (the formal dining room and the "pub") are terrific. Go there to "get away" in comfort, spendor, and moderate prices.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 07:52 PM
Kathleen

You might try Cold Spring, up the Hudson River across from West Point. The Hudson House Inn is pretty and comfortable, and there are lots of interesting shops to browse. For dinner, if you want to splurge, there's Xaviar's down in Garrison - long known for fabulous food, though I myself haven't been there in many years, so you might want to confirm that it's still great.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:35 PM
Ed

I've been to Newport, RI (recommend but to stay is expensive). Day trip to Mystic (nice, relaxing walk sightseeing the ships - had Mystic Pizza (good).

What's the story with Cape May, NJ? I'm looking to get away for the weekend.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 11:46 PM
Angel

I went to Vermont just two weeks ago and had a very nice time. It's close enough to the city (about a 3 hour drive) and far enough to feel like you are in the country side. We stayed in the town of Ascutney, but we also drove around to Killington (about another 45 mins to an hour). We went for a long weekend and had a nice relaxing weekend. Took some great pictures of the trees changing colors. Did a bit of shopping (mostly window shopping). Went to some antique shops and basket shops, craft show...alot of goofy stuff we didn't do normally in the city but it was fun. It would be a great place to go if you want some quiet, fresh air and just lots of scenery. I bet you can find a nice Bed & Breakfast place around there. Ascutney is normally a small ski resort in the winter but at this time, they're open for hikers, horseback riders, etc. We didn't get to take the ride up to the top of Killington this time, but our friends told us that the scenery is great on top. Just be prepared...it's COLD!!! Wear enough clothes and you'll have a fantastic time...I'd guess that it was another 15 degrees colder up there.

Hope this is helpful Enjoy!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 05:42 AM
juli

I am from NJ and have been to Cape May a few times. Each time staying in a bed and breakfast. The weather down by the beach is getting chilly but it is a fun, romantic place to go. Plus you will have a beautiful ride down south with all the trees changing color.

There are 2 site I use devoted to B&B's www.bbonline.com and www.bedandbreakfast.com. You should be able to find something short notice and reduced rates because it is the off season. I would recommend some I just dont know your budget and what your looking for.

If you are gamblers it would be a good day trip from Cape May to Atlantic City. Its about a 20 minute ride.

I would recommend the Washington Inn as the most romantic restaurant. The food is so good and the atmoshphere is very romantic. It would woo any girl, it worked for me. also, the Lobster...shoot I cant remember what the exact name is. Its either Lobster Pot or House. Whichever. It is famous for there seafood. And great too.

So I hope that helps if you have any other questions e-mail without the XXX's

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:09 AM
rob

Hey Sylvia,

Get your mind out of the gutter. You sound like one of those old Jewish woman stuck in the suburbs on New Jersey that go to a fancy country clubs to play golf with your friends. You talk about grandkids and your pot roast. I know your gig. I'm just trying to get some quality R&R out of the city. If I get a little lucky, so be it. Get off my back!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Jenny

Rob,

How about Rhinebeck, NY in Hudson Valley? It's only 90 miles N. of the city. It's beautiful during this time of the year. Good spot to see Fall Foilage. There're plenty of B&B's in the area.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Sarah

Ok this was a surprise and I will offer this as an alternative. I was pleasantly surprised this past weekend in Southern New Jersey. I went to Brigantine beach which on it's north end is undeveloped and stretches for miles. Also I did some hiking in the pine barrens. A real surprise and only 2.5 hours from NYC. Want to find out about hiking just enter Hike south jersey at google and yahoo. I found a 42,000 acre refuge/park. Saw a birding guide on the internet for south jersey. According to my reading migration patterns are in fall and spring so still fair viewing is likely. Birds we saw listed was the Osprey forget rest sorry. Surprise Surprise and who would have thought such a great time to be had in NJ. I grew up in NJ so I can say this.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 09:31 AM
curious

What about Litchfield county, CT? It's a nice, 2 hour drive. Lake Waramaug is gorgeous, eight mile hike or bike loop around. Have lunch at the Hopkins Inn on the Terrace overlooking the lake (we did this last week). Its a spectacular view. There is a small Vineyard next door for wine tasting. Lots of beautiful New England towns nearby, New Preston (great restaurant - Oliva), Washington Depot, Kent, Cornwall and of course Litchfield. You couldn't even see/do everything in a weekend. Lots of nice inns - The Boulders, The birches, The Washington Inn, The Interlaken. Many beautiful hikes, bike and kayaking spots as well. I highly recommend it!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Ess

I'm feeling exactly the same way, Rob. I need a quick, yet inexpensive, getaway...real bad. I just booked a weekend in Mystic, CT for myself and my boyfriend. We're staying at the Comfort Inn in Mystic for $98/night. It's about a mile from Old Mystick. It might be a little hokey, but there seem to be plenty of interesting sites and local attractions nearby. We live in Long Island, and have never been there, so we're looking forward to it. Also, I'm hoping since we'll be going in mid-November that it will be a little more laid back and off-season. If I were in Manhattan, as you are, I would probably head directly north to the Hudson Valley area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -