We will be in Yosemite (Curry Village) for 3 nights the last week in June and I have my plans done for the most part as far as hikes and what to see in the park thanks to your posts, my great Yosemite AAA map and wonderful website I listed below.
I would like to get input if you don't mind about getting to Tioga Road from Curry Village.
With the much smaller snowfall this year, all roads are already open as of May 7th.
I have read that it takes 90 minutes to 2 hours to get from Valley Floor to Tioga Rd/Tuolumne Lodge. Does this seem right?
(We plan on hiking up to Upper Yosemite Falls one day early in morning 7:00 am and another day doing Mist Trail-Nevada/Vernal Falls really early.) But if we drove up to Tioga Rd after 2:00 p.m. one day, I have these other 3 questions:
1.) I read that the sunset will be 8:30 p.m that week. Will people still be on hiking trails that late or should we plan to evacuate before then?
2.) Will it be tricky driving back to YO Valley * at night if we left Tioga Rd. around 7:00 p.m.?
3.) What are your favorite areas of Tuolumne Meadows/Tioga Road? Since we are doing these other two big hikes, we would do something less strenuous there, ie level trails, around the meadow for a few hours or even pretty places to just sit and have a picnic.
As we come in from Monterey, we are going to see some of Mariposa Grove at lunch Tuesday, then drive to Glacier Point and Bridalveil Falls before checking in. We will eat at the Ahwahnee (yes have res. there and also for their breakfast when we check out if I need to switch) the first night after checking in, one evening we will stroll around Mirror Lake and listen to Ranger talk, and one evening try to drive to Tioga Road. We could also shift Maripossa to our way out Friday as we leave for L.A. so that isn't set in stone.( Also, we aren't doing the Glacier PT shuttle to then hike down Panorama Trail because it would cost us $125.00 (5x$25 one way) and our budget is already busted. Plus you don't get there until 9:30 and we hope to head out early for some less crowded hiking.)
Thanks for your input on this upper area. I know we are crowding in our days, but we will only be here with our 3 kids once in a lifetime so better see it while we can. But if spending driving time to Tioga isn't worth missing something at Yosemite, we will scratch it.
Thanks a bunch!!
*to Tomsd, I use Yo on all of my notes because it is so much faster! At first I thought you were Randy Jackson from American Idol "YO YO YO" but then it clicked-not too hard.
THIS IS A GREAT WEBSITE FOR PHOTOS AND DETAILED INFO ABOUT HIKES FROM "MR. HALF-DOME" I learned a lot.
Yosemite Tuolumne Meadows Tioga Road
- 1 California, Northern
- 2 GROCERY STORES MAUI, HAWAII
- 3 San Francisco,Monterey, Yosemite etc.!
- 4 Visitor ocean awareness Kauai/statewide
- 5 Airport luggage tamparing
- 6 Maui. . .where to stay for local feel
- 7 Best museums and botanical gardens in the Hawaiian Islands?
- 8 First-Time Hawaii Advice
- 9 Maui Rain Forest Hike vs Haleakala Crater Hike vs Downhill Bike Ride
- 10 Advice for 2 night intro trip to Moab in early June (1-3)
- 11 Pick up north of Boston Logan
- 12 Hudson Valley to Stockbridge, MA/Berkshires
- 13 East coast tour - Part2: Phily, Washington, Niagara Falls
- 14 I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses, cars with people in water |
- 15 Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah
- 16 Using public transit in San Diego
- 17 10 day anniversary trip to Oregon Coast
- 18 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 19 Back to the Lovely City!!
- 20 Washington Wineries
- 21 Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 22 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 23 Exciting historical sites in upstate NY
- 24 Charleston, Savannah and more cheesy grits please
- 25 Hill-Crest "Museum"